Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Canada would you go if....

Where in Canada would you go if....

Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:01 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where in Canada would you go if....

.... you wanted to meet the following criteria :-

* Can buy a 3 bed house (semi or detached) or better for $300K
* Has high speed (preferably cable) internet access
* Has access to an airport with good connections to the US within 1 hr's drive
* Is good for a family oriented life
* Low or minimal crime

Currently on the list is areas on the east of the GTA and Ottawa (Kanata). This is mainly through lack of knowledge of other areas though, so looking for suggestions.

I may have an opportunity on the horizon which allows me to pick a location anywhere in Canada, so I'm looking into potential areas which meet the above criteria.

Thanks for your help.....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Default Re: Where in Canada would you go if....

Originally Posted by G77

* Low or minimal crime

Currently on the list is areas on the east of the GTA and Ottawa (Kanata). This is mainly through lack of knowledge of other areas though, so looking for suggestions.

I may have an opportunity on the horizon which allows me to pick a location anywhere in Canada, so I'm looking into potential areas which meet the above criteria.

I'd say anywhere away from Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Although they are all great cities, they don't really check all your boxes. As a result I would say somewhere on the fringes of Regina, Winnipeg, Halifax or St John for the less well known provincial cities. For Ontario I would say Sarnia, London or Kingston. If you can speak good French, then fringes of Montreal or Quebec city may be an option.

This is just my opinion and I'm sure that others will say that the big three cities mentioned from the outset offer the things you want if you are not fussed on area of city or head far enough from their centres.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I grew up in Brockville and that pretty much fits that description.
It's half way between Kingston (45 min away) and Kingston (1 hour away). It's a town of about 20,000 to 25,000 people.

If that's too small townish then there's lots of towns just outside Ottawa that would fit the description.

I think the big question is what size of town are you looking for?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:45 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions so far - only draw to Ottawa is that the company HQ is there, so would make networking with colleagues etc easier, but it's not a necessity as the majority of the work is conducted in the US anyway.

As for town size - don't really have a preference, currently live in a town of about 50,000 in the UK. Wouldn't mind something smaller as long as it was close enough to amenities nearby.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77

* Low or minimal crime

We lived for 11 years in Burlington Ontario. It's 40 minutes from Pearson airport, we sold our 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house for $275k 18 months ago, so about 300 now, great schools, low crime, family friendly.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you can live with 2hrs to the airport (and lets face it, you are going to have to be there 2 hrs before the flight anyway, so what difference does another hour make), then I would head for where I am now. I'm just too cheap to pay for high speed, that all.

But I will admit to being biased.

$300k would be more than enough for a princely pad around here.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 20th 2008 at 1:13 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

LaSalle, of course

3 bed detacheds in the area from 350k-250k
Old Feb 20th 2008, 1:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming!

LaSalle does look good value for money! To fly to the US, is it easier to drive across the border and take a flight from Detroit (and presumably a LOT cheaper - not that I'd be paying )?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming!

LaSalle does look good value for money! To fly to the US, is it easier to drive across the border and take a flight from Detroit (and presumably a LOT cheaper - not that I'd be paying )?
It is *much* cheaper, and a really lovely airport. It was one of our major considerations in coming here Some rellies insist on using Toronto for the charter cheapies from the UK, but even that is only 3hrs away, not a big inconvenience to fetch them there either.

The job outlook isn't great in the immediate area, but you said in your opening post that that wasn't a consideration, so I didn't mention it

Some other nice towns around here to google would be Amherstburg, Kingsville, Leamington...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Some rellies insist on using Toronto for the charter cheapies from the UK, but even that is only 3hrs away, not a big inconvenience to fetch them there either..
LOL, thats canadain p e r s p e c t i v e

I guess compared to life in the praries 3hrs isnt so bad
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, thats canadain p e r s p e c t i v e

I guess compared to life in the praries 3hrs isnt so bad
3 hrs from Winnipeg got me to the throbbing metropolis of Grand Forks, North Dakota. They had a Target, it was prairie heaven
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

it was prairie heaven
Surely thats an oxmoron!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:20 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

The job outlook isn't great in the immediate area, but you said in your opening post that that wasn't a consideration, so I didn't mention it
It probably wouldn't be - and cheap US flights may be even a selling point....

However, if I did want to move jobs or got made redundant, I'd be pretty much screwed and would have to move to somewhere else at a guess. Unless you've got a secret hive of IT companies there?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you can live with 2hrs to the airport (and lets face it, you are going to have to be there 2 hrs before the flight anyway, so what difference does another hour make), then I would head for where I am now. I'm just too cheap to pay for high speed, that all.

But I will admit to being biased.

$300k would be more than enough for a princely pad around here.
Cor, What are the job prospects for a Purchasing Manager around your way?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Cor, What are the job prospects for a Purchasing Manager around your way?
Do you think you can persuade the big sears warehouse to let you manage for them?

Seriously, there are a few largish businesses around, a couple of automotive suppliers spring to mind, the industrial park has a fair number of businesses, so its not as bad as all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.