Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where in canada plz??

where in canada plz??

Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice
Default Re: where in canada plz??

hi nat, we purposely have chose to avoid perth purely for the isolation and sleepy city vibe we have been prewarned about, we are going to brisbane on sunday for 3 weeks and have found you can get very cheap flights down to sydney and melbourne for the odd weekend away, the thought of feeling isolated and hem in is my worse fear, so perth was a straight no for me, i have a cousin whos been there a year now and loves it! also putting me off oz is the distance for my family to visit and the amount of people returning so i ask myself why are so many returning? canada looks so stunning and the thought of a proper winter is appealing. its a very hard decision to make and one we must be sure about as our son will be 14 so i cant move him again. i,ll let you know how i find brisbane, we are hoping to go to canada for a long weekend with no kids end of the year goodluck with what ever you decide x
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:13 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It's a lot easier for registered nurses to get into than it is for people in many, many other occupations.

I agree with iaink that there is a lot to be said for having relatives nearby. If you don't want to live in a big city, there are some nice towns within easy driving distance of Toronto. I like the countryside east of Toronto (the Quinte Region, where iaink lives). You also could consider the area a little north of Toronto, e.g., Barrie. Well, those are ideas to get you started.

I've never been there, but people speak very highly of the Maritime Provinces, e.g., Nova Scotia. The cost of living is lower there than it is in Alberta.

I myself am fond of Australia. But it is a very long way from the UK, and would make it more difficult to visit your family in the UK and vice versa.

If you told us what things you like (natural beauty, four seasons versus milder climate, urban amenities, availability of flights to the UK, relatively affordable housing, etc.), we could pass some opinions about the parts of Canada in which you might find those features.
x
I have to give the thumbs up to Quinte region hospital in Picton. We had to attend for an emergency and the people were just the best. Great place to do your nursing and wonderful beaches etc and of course Kingston being a university town within a short drive but depends on what kind of lifestyle you require. I also believe property is very reasonable for such a lovely area. I would say around 2.5 hours from Toronto to Picton maybe Iain can confirm if it is different .
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

2.5 hrs sounds about right from Picton (depending how many caravans you get stuck behind on the first bit of the trip to the 401). Its a smallish hospital, Belleville General is where most of the serious work is done here, and then Kingston if they cant handle it. The county property market is regarded here as a bit more expensive than "the mainland", but by Toronto standards its all dirt cheap.

There was a generous relocation allowance and active recruitment programs to get doctors to come work for the Quinte Health Care, not sure its the same for nursing though.

http://www.qhc.on.ca/body.cfm?id=109&oTopID=109
http://www.qhc.on.ca/body.cfm?id=258
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:32 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check out the Muchmore Magazine website. You can download back issues (free of charge)and it cover all the provinces. Gives lots of practical info too.

It's a great read
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

bigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant future

hi, nat again, been to Brisbane and sydney and i have to admit it beautiful there and we did like it but at the time there wasn't much work for brickies. You'll have a really good time there, definately. Enjoy yourselves. nat.