British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   where in canada plz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-canada-plz-543424/)

McLeans Jun 16th 2008 9:37 pm

where in canada plz??

hi everyone we are currently still fairly undecide whether we want to emigrate to canada or australia and are keeping our options open we are headed to oz for 3 weeks to check it out sn and hopefully coming to canada next spring to do the same. our question is where in canada do we go? as we cant really afford to travel when we come on a reccie. i will be a nurse (still in training) and we have 2 children. i have relatives in toronto but thats it. i know theres a huge drive to promote alberta and it looks beautiful, we also liked vancouver but it seems very pricey? i know this is quite a rough pic but anyone with advice or opinions would be great
many thanks, mcleans x:thumbsup:

Cassie 10000 Jun 16th 2008 10:21 pm

Re: where in canada plz??

Are there any hobbies that you like.

We like to ski and have picked Alberta, Canada because we have taken holiday's in the past. (Amongst other reasons for the move) There is also a big drive for Engineers there so the oportunity for the move was increased.

I personally think Oz has a more layed back feeling as I went on holiday with my mum for a month a while back, Sydney, Perth and Hobart. I thought it was a ok but I wouldn't go back but that's just me, I am sure other people have other opinions.

There is a wiki here that you might want to read. Hope this helps.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia

iaink Jun 17th 2008 1:04 am

Dont underestimate how nice it is to have relatives you can visit with the kids from time to time. Plenty of nice areas within a few hours of Toronto, and nursing is a pretty flexible career to find work with.

trishandbubs Jun 17th 2008 1:25 am

Are you doing a degree or diploma in nursing as this can effect the area's which you can go. We wanted to go to kingston, ontario but hubby only has diploma and you need a degree for ontario so have choosen Manitoba 's instead. All areas have there plus points so depends on what your after.

McLeans Jun 17th 2008 1:46 am

hopefully degree, we really liked the looked of alberta as theres been so much info and publicity about it, but im honestly reserved at the fact that canada just seems so hard to get in to !

Arrona Jun 17th 2008 1:52 am

have you looked at Nova Scotia. house prices are cheaper, really nice areas for kids.
we love it here.

trishandbubs Jun 17th 2008 1:53 am

Originally Posted by McLeans (Post 6474883)
hopefully degree, we really liked the looked of alberta as theres been so much info and publicity about it, but im honestly reserved at the fact that canada just seems so hard to get in to !

We have only just started the process but for nurses it seems pretty easy to get into as everywhere is crying out for them! Hubby is going to phone around hospitals today to try and get some interest and has just sent of his registration documents today. Once he has the job offer we are going to go through the provincial nomination programme.

Cassie 10000 Jun 17th 2008 1:53 am

What profession is your other half in?

Are you looking at going to the Expo this one is just for Canada

http://www.expo-canada.com/

This one is a more general, Canada, America New Zealand and OZ

http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/shows_and_publications.htm

McLeans Jun 17th 2008 2:02 am

thankyou for that, ill have a look at the link for the expo just now, we were at the emigrate show in feb in edinburgh and i didnt really find the canadian stands very helpful all they wanted to do was give you a card and email them the next week?

Cassie 10000 Jun 17th 2008 2:04 am

Originally Posted by McLeans (Post 6474947)
thankyou for that, ill have a look at the link for the expo just now, we were at the emigrate show in feb in edinburgh and i didnt really find the canadian stands very helpful all they wanted to do was give you a card and email them the next week?

Not very helpful then.

Surrey Expat Jun 17th 2008 2:41 am

Take a look at the return to the UK forum as to why more people are leaving Australia vs Canada.

Judy in Calgary Jun 17th 2008 2:43 am

Originally Posted by McLeans (Post 6474883)

It's a lot easier for registered nurses to get into than it is for people in many, many other occupations.

I agree with iaink that there is a lot to be said for having relatives nearby. If you don't want to live in a big city, there are some nice towns within easy driving distance of Toronto. I like the countryside east of Toronto (the Quinte Region, where iaink lives). You also could consider the area a little north of Toronto, e.g., Barrie. Well, those are ideas to get you started.

I've never been there, but people speak very highly of the Maritime Provinces, e.g., Nova Scotia. The cost of living is lower there than it is in Alberta.

I myself am fond of Australia. But it is a very long way from the UK, and would make it more difficult to visit your family in the UK and vice versa.

If you told us what things you like (natural beauty, four seasons versus milder climate, urban amenities, availability of flights to the UK, relatively affordable housing, etc.), we could pass some opinions about the parts of Canada in which you might find those features.
x

McLeans Jun 17th 2008 3:08 am

thankyou, ok so the huge draw is not being as far from my parents in canada as i would in oz! we like big cities but dont want to live in one but would still like to be able to go in to the city on a weekend with the kids, also canada is so beautiful we would ideally like to be near to a place where we can get out walking with kids. schooling is very important, we will probably have about £30-40k to bring with us i dont know if this is a good amount for a deposit or not? my parents have visited toronto several times and love it. its such a vast country we thought deciding to emigrate was the hardest choice but picking where to go is harder!! also my husband is retraining to be a plumber and i am retraining as a nurse
thanks kelly

McLeans Jun 17th 2008 3:10 am

forgot to add im slightly put off by the freezing temps!! tho i would dearly love a proper white xmas and i expect i would aclimatise?

iaink Jun 17th 2008 3:12 am

Never mind a deposit, £30k will buy the cottage next to my house outright! Its less than a 2h drive to pearson airport (if you dont get caught in Toronto traffic.)

It has been known to snow here though...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...09002Large.jpg

If snow and freezing weather are a factor, then out west is your only option really in Canada...but it comes at a price.