Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Calgary

Where in Calgary

Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: Where in Calgary

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
What price range would you say for 4 bed in Gleneagles?
Constantly looking on mls but not many for sale in Cochrane.

Rachel
It might not be what you are wanting to hear, but in Calgary and its satellite towns, many houses are not even making it to MLS.

A house on our street went up for sale yesterday, and if the activity yesterday afternoon was anything to go by it won't make MLS.

The only house in this area that has stuck around for a while is this one (it's 1 of 2 in this area on MLS) ...

How much?

It was up for ages as "for sale by owner" at $750K, now it's with a realtor.

Its key selling feature? "Sub-dividable Lot".
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
It might not be what you are wanting to hear, but in Calgary and its satellite towns, many houses are not even making it to MLS.

A house on our street went up for sale yesterday, and if the activity yesterday afternoon was anything to go by it won't make MLS.

The only house in this area that has stuck around for a while is this one (it's 1 of 2 in this area on MLS) ...

How much?

It was up for ages as "for sale by owner" at $750K, now it's with a realtor.

Its key selling feature? "Sub-dividable Lot".

Oh well,back to the drawing board - we can't afford that, even with our UK salaries!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Oh well,back to the drawing board - we can't afford that, even with our UK salaries!!!!
The point I was making was to not rely on MLS if looking for houses. In this sort of market, you would have to look into why a house was on MLS.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the clarification that CalgaryBlade provided, he lives in a residential neighbourhood that is within walking distance of downtown Calgary. His area is more expensive than Cochrane and also more expensive than Calgary communities that are further out from the centre. You do not have to put down C$750K to get into a house in the Calgary area.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:46 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
....Its key selling feature? "Sub-dividable Lot".
Don't forget the "Drapery Rods!!!!!!!" Wow, how can anybody refuse a bargain like that!!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We drove by a property facing onto Arbour Lake, with a back yard right down to the water's edge .... I was taking bets with OH as to the price ..... I guessed around $850k .... it was more in the region of $2 million! Mnd you it did have seven bedrooms, and garage space for 9 cars!!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We drove by a property facing onto Arbour Lake, with a back yard right down to the water's edge .... I was taking bets with OH as to the price ..... I guessed around $850k .... it was more in the region of $2 million! Mnd you it did have seven bedrooms, and garage space for 9 cars!!!
Geeez, I couldn't even afford the garage let alone the cars to put in it.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:32 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Geeez, I couldn't even afford the garage let alone the cars to put in it.
It appears it has a triple garage, with two levels.....However, if I had 2 million dollars to spend on a house, I don't think I'd build it there! I'd want a bit of land and privacy to go with it!!