Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Calgary

Where in Calgary

Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where in Calgary

We bought a new condo downtown to get us started as a good central base, then we can buy more 'rural' later if we fancy it. Condo seemed like a tidy investment too. We've never lived in a city before so should be an experience to say the least. My mother in law lived out on an acreage in the back of beyond and there was bugger all to do. She used to feel really isolated. Different strokes for different folks though. I think we'd settle in better being nearer to everything the dowtown and sorrounding areas have to offer, and we can still take a trip to k-country or canmore at the weekend.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
We bought a new condo downtown to get us started as a good central base, then we can buy more 'rural' later if we fancy it. Condo seemed like a tidy investment too. We've never lived in a city before so should be an experience to say the least. My mother in law lived out on an acreage in the back of beyond and there was bugger all to do. She used to feel really isolated. Different strokes for different folks though. I think we'd settle in better being nearer to everything the dowtown and sorrounding areas have to offer, and we can still take a trip to k-country or canmore at the weekend.
Is it on this photo?

home, sweet home

We live on the left hand edge of the photo in between the two road bridges, and I work in one of the office blocks downtown, a 20 min walk.

The road cutting in on the left hand edge is Kensington Road, full of restaurants and bars
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=CalgaryBlade]Is it on this photo?

It's just out of shot - brilliant photo though. I've seen older pics similar to that, but none with that much of the new development on in eau claire(ish) area. We bought a condo in the new Chocolate building in vic park.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hangman
Isn't that GlenEagles, Cochrane's mobile home community?

Have they stabilized the slope yet, to stop the homes from sliding into the Bow valley?
is this true? Do they have problems with subsidence in Gleneagles. we are going over next week house hunting and that is one of the areas we are looking at!!! Any information would be appreciated.

By the way how cold is it getting I have a feeling we are going to 'hit the winter' that has stayed away up till now!! Oh well least we will know what it gets like!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wallace
is this true? Do they have problems with subsidence in Gleneagles. we are going over next week house hunting and that is one of the areas we are looking at!!! Any information would be appreciated.

By the way how cold is it getting I have a feeling we are going to 'hit the winter' that has stayed away up till now!! Oh well least we will know what it gets like!!
Yes it is true. However it was very early in the development, in the early to mid-nineties I believe they had some shifting with some cracked drywall and cracked basement floors/walls. I'm sure that this has been resolved long ago. Fear not GlenEagles is still a very viable subdivision much sought after.

According to Environment Canada it going to quite cool tomorrow a daytime high of -26C with wind chills of -39C, I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth when people see tonight's local weather forecast. It's also supposed to back to close to normal by Saturday so it's not a long term thing.

Cheers
Steve
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:06 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Is it on this photo?

home, sweet home

We live on the left hand edge of the photo in between the two road bridges, and I work in one of the office blocks downtown, a 20 min walk.

The road cutting in on the left hand edge is Kensington Road, full of restaurants and bars
Hey! Cool photo! This is close to where I lived - if I'm looking at this right. Is the bottom bridge 14th St? I used to live in Parkdale - is it still full of elderly people and friendly bikers? Is there still an old indy cinema in Kensington?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Yes it is true. However it was very early in the development, in the early to mid-nineties I believe they had some shifting with some cracked drywall and cracked basement floors/walls. I'm sure that this has been resolved long ago. Fear not GlenEagles is still a very viable subdivision much sought after.

According to Environment Canada it going to quite cool tomorrow a daytime high of -26C with wind chills of -39C, I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth when people see tonight's local weather forecast. It's also supposed to back to close to normal by Saturday so it's not a long term thing.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for that info, certainly something to keep in mind. Its really hard trying to sort out where to live without having actually lived in the community and have insider knowledge. Any info about either Okotoks/Cochrane would be appreciated

Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Is the bottom bridge 14th St?
Yes.

I used to live in Parkdale - is it still full of elderly people and friendly bikers?
Yes, up to a point. But the demographic is changing. They have been building infill houses, and yuppies have been moving in.

Is there still an old indy cinema in Kensington?
Yes, indeed. The Plaza. A favourite of mine.

It's in stark contrast to the multi-cinema complex that has been added at the south end of Chinook Centre. It's a garish, faux-Egyptian monstrosity. If at the end of my life Saint Peter wants to recreate a place in which I am miserable, he has to look no further than the foyer of that complex. I can think of few things worse than spending eternity being zapped by the fake laser beams emanating from the Sphinx's eye. There would be a single consolation. I could watch Cleopatra spinning in her grave.

Once you run the gauntlet, however, the movie theatres themselves are comfortable.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Yes.

Yes, up to a point. But the demographic is changing. They have been building infill houses, and yuppies have been moving in.

Yes, indeed. The Plaza. A favourite of mine.

It's in stark contrast to the multi-cinema complex that has been added at the south end of Chinook Centre. It's a garish, faux-Egyptian monstrosity. If at the end of my life Saint Peter wants to recreate a place in which I am miserable, he has to look no further than the foyer of that complex. I can think of few things worse than spending eternity being zapped by the fake laser beams emanating from the Sphinx's eye. There would be a single consolation. I could watch Cleopatra spinning in her grave.

Once you run the gauntlet, however, the movie theatres themselves are comfortable.
The Plaza! Thanks Judy... that was driving me crazy and you saved me a phone call to the fambly. It's great to hear it's still there!

That multiplex sounds charming.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Isn't that GlenEagles, Cochrane's mobile home community?

Have they stabilized the slope yet, to stop the homes from sliding into the Bow valley?
LOL...No those ones went into the valley and they built New ones . As far as I'm aware the affected homes have been treated (Don't know how). touch wood ours is okay..No cracks or signs of movement.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Is there still an old indy cinema in Kensington?
Yes (as Judy said).

The red GPO phone box is still outside too, with payphone inside it. There's also one on 10th but that has no phone in it (not unlike many in the UK).

As for Parkdale, they closed the school a few years ago becuase there were no kids in the area. They are now considering reopening it, as it appears the incoming yuppies have kids
Old Feb 16th 2006, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Yes (as Judy said).

The red GPO phone box is still outside too, with payphone inside it. There's also one on 10th but that has no phone in it (not unlike many in the UK).

As for Parkdale, they closed the school a few years ago becuase there were no kids in the area. They are now considering reopening it, as it appears the incoming yuppies have kids
No way! Parkdale Elementary is closed?! That was the first school I got suspended from. Is the building still there? Actually I guess the closure's not surprising... the Jr High had about 6 students in each grade when I lived there. Most of my friends, peers and I bused it up to Branton instead.

I don't remember a phone box. It was right out front? <thinking.... thinking...> Maybe it was put there after I left? It can't be my bad memory!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

To put your mind at ease.. A house last week sold for full asking price within a week of being put on the market. Gleneagles is still having houses built and is without doubt the best area of Cochrane...I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

toyer1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that info, certainly something to keep in mind. Its really hard trying to sort out where to live without having actually lived in the community and have insider knowledge. Any info about either Okotoks/Cochrane would be appreciated

Moved to Okotoks in January, feel free to ask any questions you can PM me. We came from Cornwall, and we love it here. It is only about 25 mins to downtown Calgary. Far enough away to be quiet but close enough for the shops ect
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
To put your mind at ease.. A house last week sold for full asking price within a week of being put on the market. Gleneagles is still having houses built and is without doubt the best area of Cochrane...I wouldn't live anywhere else.

What price range would you say for 4 bed in Gleneagles?
Constantly looking on mls but not many for sale in Cochrane.

Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.