When to tip?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to tip?

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
so is there still an advantage from the waiting staff's point of view to being tipped in cash?
Surely it can only be good. That way the person waiting can decide whether or not to share the tip with other staff or with the tax man.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely it can only be good. That way the person waiting can decide whether or not to share the tip with other staff or with the tax man.
I always write "cash" in the tip space on the credit card bill. I've seen too many people who weren't waiting my table swoop when we leave, and I never know if my server got their tip or not. At least that way the appropriate person will know that one was left, regardless of who got their hands on it.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:59 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Another question, especially for those who know the hospitality industry here... in the UK I tried to leave a tip in cash, even if the bill was settled on a card - that way the waiting staff get to sort out what they do with it rather than disappearing into some black hole of a cash register. From what's been said in this thread the whole setup of tipping out to the kitchen etc is pretty formalised here, so is there still an advantage from the waiting staff's point of view to being tipped in cash?
Its prefered to be tipped in cash as I think some service persons dont delcare income from tips on taxes & therefore get a break... not sure if its legal or not (probably not) but I rarely ever tipped via cards (and only credit cards where I wrote in the amount for tip/grauities on the bill I signed)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I always write "cash" in the tip space on the credit card bill. I've seen too many people who weren't waiting my table swoop when we leave, and I never know if my server got their tip or not. At least that way the appropriate person will know that one was left, regardless of who got their hands on it.
What a great idea. I'll do that in future.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:05 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Another question, especially for those who know the hospitality industry here... in the UK I tried to leave a tip in cash, even if the bill was settled on a card - that way the waiting staff get to sort out what they do with it rather than disappearing into some black hole of a cash register. From what's been said in this thread the whole setup of tipping out to the kitchen etc is pretty formalised here, so is there still an advantage from the waiting staff's point of view to being tipped in cash?
It's not formalized at all. Restaurants vary a great deal on their tipping policies. One place I worked at had various policies, depending on who was working X shift.

Cash = immediate and no official record =
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Daedra
Its prefered to be tipped in cash as I think some service persons dont delcare income from tips on taxes & therefore get a break... not sure if its legal or not (probably not) but I rarely ever tipped via cards (and only credit cards where I wrote in the amount for tip/grauities on the bill I signed)

Most people declare some of their tips (usually just enough not to bumped them into a higher tax bracket) because for future loan, mortgage, etc purposes, tips are not considered income unless they are declared on your income tax.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:11 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Most people declare some of their tips (usually just enough not to bumped them into a higher tax bracket) because for future loan, mortgage, etc purposes, tips are not considered income unless they are declared on your income tax.
Thats very true, income tax is one of the major criteria for money lenders as its the only official GOVT statement of income for workers... good point!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:12 pm

Thats very true, income tax is one of the major criteria for money lenders as its the only official GOVT statement of income for workers... good point!
I learned it the hard way!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:31 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Once they delivered. I settled the bill for cash and tipped them while paying it.
Same here.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:18 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Delivery & restaurants serving food to your table is normally about 10%-15% (15% being exceptional service, 10% being decent/ok service) but if its food delivery from a franchise or small restaurant, they normally dont expect more the $5 tip for arriving on time...

So I guess the basics are, if your in a fancy/rich place recieving fancy/rich products and services, you'll be expected to shell out more by the service staff. If your in a bog standard middle classish establishment, you're not usually expected to tip more then $5-$10 and that is based on your satisfaction with the service provided.

Don't worry though, Canadians usually make alot of allowances and are quite forgiving of internationals/tourists, just put on your accent to make it evident your not from Canada... its the Yanks and/or locals they get annoyed at for not tipping correctly for services.
What about drive-throughs etc? I tipped regularly in places without waiting staff all over Quebec but as soon as we pulled into a Swedish Chicken (?) or whatever it's called in Ontario the guy at the till looked at me like I was from another planet when I told him to keep the change; it was only a few dollars...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:26 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by windward
What about drive-throughs etc? I tipped regularly in places without waiting staff all over Quebec but as soon as we pulled into a Swedish Chicken (?) or whatever it's called in Ontario the guy at the till looked at me like I was from another planet when I told him to keep the change; it was only a few dollars...
Drive throughs imply no 'to the table' service and hence is not necessary to tip... you can do so if you feel you have been given service above and beyond, but it is NOT implied in Noth America.

EDIT: just wanted to add that at any drive through Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys and the like, we NEVER tipped unless there was a problem that the staff went above & beyond their jobs to help us with... I dont think we were the 'odd' ones out in Canada as none of my friends & family there seemed to do any different.

EDIT on the edit (sorry): just wanted to add, if its a matter of a few cents change it is very often that staff get told to 'keep the change' in North America if the customer doesnt want to add to their copper collection *lol* some stores have a 'penny tray' by the till where you can deposit unwanted coppers or nickles (5cents) or dimes (10 cents) into to help the next customer short a small amount when paying at the till (if its you thats short, just excuse yourself and ask to take the difference out of the penny/copper tray, they are usually fine with it)

Last edited by Daedra; Aug 8th 2007 at 11:31 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I solved that problem a long time ago. I always hand the waiter the tip and say thanks. I don't live off some fancy expense account so what I eat comes out of my pocket. I may pay the bill on interac but the tip itself is strictly cash. I have never had a problem and I am sure the waiter appreciates my directness. I eat often at Montreal's Chinatown and want to be sure I am well received. The way I operate at least I know the waiter/waitress gets the tip and not some undeserving party. Even when I was on expense account (many years ago) I would routinely hand the waiter/waitress the tip in cash rather than adding it to the bill and settling on the way out. I would later add the tip to my expense account. My boss never questioned it.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

The taxman is not that generous. I believe that the employer is obligated to add a certain dollar value or percentage to an employee's tax slip. This may not apply to run-of-the mill fast food places and regular restos. But I think it is done for classy bars and more upscale eateries where waiters can make darned good money.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:19 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

That is going to take some serious organising then - I am used to using no cash in my daily life and having to think ahead, pop to an ATM before going out, just for the tip is going to be a hard habit to get into!

I am so glad I read this thread - no idea at all! I hate the idea of inadvertantly offending waiting staff, or anyone else - so this is a great reminder.

Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Just a thought. At least here one has the ability to tip, not to tip, tip a little, tip a lot, be generous, be miserly, whatever.

In some European countries the tip (aka as pourboir in France) is added to the bill. I find that presumptious.

The waiter has no incentive to provide good service. Reminds me of Paris 1968, somewhere near the Arc de Triomphe, slow and mediocre service but the food was OK (nothing beats French cuisine), but the bloody pourboir was added to the bill. We paid, had no choice, but on the way out I told the garcon he was lucky to be a frenchman as he really didn't deserve it.

We never went back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.