When to tip?

Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

jason1969 has a brilliant futurejason1969 has a brilliant futurejason1969 has a brilliant futurejason1969 has a brilliant futurejason1969 has a brilliant futurejason1969 has a brilliant future
Question When to tip?

Hi, we are going to NS in two weeks time. I understand the custom of tipping is more widely used in North America so when do we tip and how much and when do we not?
Jason
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to tip?

Originally Posted by jason1969
Hi, we are going to NS in two weeks time. I understand the custom of tipping is more widely used in North America so when do we tip and how much and when do we not?
Jason
15% in all bars and restaurants. Some people make it 15% of the original, pre-tax price, but that seems niggardly to me. Tip more if thrilled.

Cab drivers, porters, removal men, hairdressers also need tipping.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:45 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

And if you don't enjoy the service then don't tip.

What they going to do ban you?

I don't do the % of the bill as the cost of a burger is way different than a steak. But the service provided is just the same.
Some one cooked it, someone delivered it, someone clean it away - I didn't give them grief and I don't pay for others behaviour.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
I don't do the % of the bill as the cost of a burger is way different than a steak. But the service provided is just the same.
Some one cooked it, someone delivered it, someone clean it away - I didn't give them grief and I don't pay for others behaviour.
I suppose tipping twenty bucks per plate regardless of the food cost works but it does seem rather generous.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:51 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

well by 15% requirement $20 isn't going to cover the cost at some resturants once you add in drinks and deserts.
But I get your drift.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
15% in all bars and restaurants. Some people make it 15% of the original, .
That could be because the nice taxman had already worked out what 15% of the original was.

I generally take the tax amount and round it up a couple of bux. Unless the service warranted more.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As said, if someone brings the food or drink to your table then 15% of the total bill is normal. 20% if the service is excellent. Hospitality workers can't pay their bills on minimum wage. If there is something wrong with the experience that isn't the server's fault you can express your displeasure by tipping 10%. To leave no, or a minimal, tip is extremely discourteous as well as mean unless the server really does not deserve it.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:26 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As said, if someone brings the food or drink to your table then 15% of the total bill is normal. 20% if the service is excellent. Hospitality workers can't pay their bills on minimum wage. If there is something wrong with the experience that isn't the server's fault you can express your displeasure by tipping 10%. To leave no, or a minimal, tip is extremely discourteous as well as mean unless the server really does not deserve it.
Two of my daughters are working this summer in restaurants and they depend on their tips. Unfortunately the Brits have a bad reputation for not tipping. Understandable because we don't expect to in the UK, but in Canada and North America generally the 15% - 20% tip is the norm.

One of my daughters says there is a regular customer who is British and never tips at all. The servers don't want to serve him and all hope he sits in someone else's section.

My rule is to double the GST amount on the bill as a rough guide to the minimum tip. Good service deserves more. However generous I am I suspect the reputation of mean Brits will live on.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

$14.27 for advice given on the forum.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:32 am
Just Joined

lizathellama is an unknown quantity at this point

im a waitress and i just wanted to add that i understand not wanting to give money to poor service, but occasionally it will happen to me that there is something wrong with the food, and not the service, but yet they will leave no tip. i dont think people realize that alot of resturants have to tip out to the kitchen on every bill. my restuarant gives 3% of every bill to the kitchen which may not seem like much but this means when i dont get tipped i pay some money out of my pocket to the kitchen to make up for it, and it tends to add up on a day when the kitchen is especially slow.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:53 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Good point. That's true for my daughters too. One waitress had a table of 12 who kept her busy all night and didn't tip anything at all (not Brits this time) but the waitress ended up paying out of her other tips.
Originally Posted by lizathellama
im a waitress and i just wanted to add that i understand not wanting to give money to poor service, but occasionally it will happen to me that there is something wrong with the food, and not the service, but yet they will leave no tip. i dont think people realize that alot of resturants have to tip out to the kitchen on every bill. my restuarant gives 3% of every bill to the kitchen which may not seem like much but this means when i dont get tipped i pay some money out of my pocket to the kitchen to make up for it, and it tends to add up on a day when the kitchen is especially slow.
Warmly,

Frank
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
That could be because the nice taxman had already worked out what 15% of the original was.

I generally take the tax amount and round it up a couple of bux. Unless the service warranted more.
That seems fair enough. Not tipping or tipping miserably is not something one should risk if there's any chance of returning to the restaurant. Read Anthony Bourdain on the content of cream sauces delivered to bad customers.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:12 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Tipping isn't all about 'good service'... it's about customers paying for labour costs. I waited tables for about eight years while in high school and university and rarely did I get paid much more than minimum wage (though my tips were often four to five times my wage). And this is the norm.

If a restaurant owner were to suddenly have to pay waitstaff 30/hr (which was about what I made 15 years ago in tips + wage) that burger and fries is going to be a wee bit more expensive. Generally, eating out is relatively cheap in Canada because of competition and tipping from customers helping to keep labour costs down.

There is an element of the 'good service' bit though. I remembered regulars who tipped well and those who did not and responded accordingly. But the best tips were nice notes and little pressies people left... except the perv who left a key to his hotel room.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:15 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cab drivers, porters, removal men, hairdressers also need tipping.

How much would you tip a mover?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
How much would you tip a mover?
Depends how far they went for you. Last lot of two men and a boy got $120 plus a flat of beer. They were very happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.