Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

when exactly my medical cover starts?

when exactly my medical cover starts?

Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when exactly my medical cover starts?

well, it seems that the next task on my list would be looking for insurance companies. Any suggestions guys? which company can I use?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you could try this WIKI article
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medica...edicare_starts
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Powermantic
well, it seems that the next task on my list would be looking for insurance companies. Any suggestions guys? which company can I use?
There was a thread a few days ago on this very subject. If you search the last week or so there is lots of useful information.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:59 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

this is something else that was sent to me. It may prove useful to you as well

http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...ies_Emigration
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

now I am totaly confused
I am just wondering if there is any insurance company that will give me cover knowing that I am pregnant - it may be better to go to a private doctor in Canada, but they charge arm and leg
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

or I may have to reconsider moving to Canada right now. Does anyone know what is the procedure for going to canada with a newborn? How can we register a baby? do we need to get any douments for them too? we are already permamet residents but what about new baby?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Powermantic
or I may have to reconsider moving to Canada right now. Does anyone know what is the procedure for going to canada with a newborn? How can we register a baby? do we need to get any douments for them too? we are already permamet residents but what about new baby?
If you have the baby in the UK it will have no status in Canada. You can sponsor it for PR but as permanent residents you can only do this from inside Canada. While waiting for the baby's PR to be approved (s)he will be in Canada as a visitor and not entitled to health care on the OHIP.

You said you are still in your first trimester so the baby is not due until June / July?

One option is to get over to Canada and pay privately for prenatal care until you qualify for OHIP at the end of April. Your baby will have Canadian citizenship by birth and also British citizenship by descent. The baby will then qualify for OHIP from birth. The only problem might be if for some reason the baby was very premature.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Ontario has a program called Healthy Babies Healthy Children which is independent of OHIP. You would get some support from a nurse but not medical care

http://www.toronto.ca/health/healthy...givers.htm#001
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this insurance http://www.etfsinc.com/individual/vi...-visitors.html - particularly the eligibility criteria. It seems to cover emergency medical treatment resulting from pregnancy up to nine weeks before the expected day of delivery. The timing might work for you.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you,
It seems that it is complicated to be there pregnant without cover and it is also complicated to go to Canada with a newborn.
Perhaps the best bit is to just to go there as soon as possible and I will still have another 2 month to go once the cover starts.
hopefully, it will be all right, and I can see private doctors for routine checks before that. So far it is a good pregnancy, no pain, feel quite good as well.... I will pray for it to go well.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

you all are very helpfull!
yes, maby it is a good idea to go now and hope that everything will be ok. I can get medical insurance for emergency situations. The 3 months of waiting will go by very fast, and I will finally get the card.