Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

when exactly my medical cover starts?

when exactly my medical cover starts?

Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Powermantic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when exactly my medical cover starts?

hello,

I have this question that might have been asked many times before.
We have a Permanent Canadian Residence. Landed in Canada in February 2010 (almost a year ago) but spent only a week in Toronto and went back.

Now, I know that medical cover starts after 3 months, but does it count from the time of first landing? we are planning to go to Toronto end of January 2011 and this time tickets are one way only.... will I be covered straight away? The reason why I am asking is because I am in my first trimester of pregnancy and want to make sure that I won't need to pay for my maternity care or for labour. I may be mad going to Canada now, but I know that it would have been even harder to go once the baby arrives.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when exactly my medical cover starts?

Health cover starts three months after you become a resident of Ontario. The date you "landed" for PR purposes is not relevant.

If you move to Toronto at the end of January you will be covered from the end of April.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your reply - the reason is that I am really not sure what is the right answer. I know that I am classed as permanent resident from the moment of landing, as once we land we secure our status of permanent residents.

At the airport, I remember we were given an information pack (well, packs to be honest) and the guy who gave it to us mentioned (if I remember correct) that medical cover starts in 3 months from now (from that very time).

Perhaps there are other users on this forum who landed, went back to UK, and after a while actually moved to Canada? Please advise!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't believe me why not read for yourself ...

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the link provided - even now it is not very clear:
it says 3 months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. so is that date a date of landing, as a date of landing starts residency? Sorry, I am now questioning your answer, I am grateful for you contribution, but this moment is very important to me, because I am not sure if I am or not legible for medical cover.

Last edited by Powermantic; Dec 13th 2010 at 4:57 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Powermantic
Thank you for the link provided - even now it is noot very clear:
it says 3 months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. so is that date a date of landing, as a date of landing starts residency? Sorry, I am now questioning your answer, I am grateful for you contribution, but this moment is very important to me, because I am not sure if I am or not legible for medical cover.
Simple answer, you have haven't established residency. You may have "landed" but until you have resided in Ontario for 3 months, you aren't eligible for OHIP.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

Thank you for the link provided - even now it is noot very clear:
The date you establish residency in Ontario is the day you move to Ontario to live permanently. This is completely different the day you land for immigration purposes.

The application for for OHIP says that you have to provide documentary evidence that you live permanently in Ontario before you can apply for coverage. The list of documents you can use is here. http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the link provided - even now it is not very clear:it says 3 months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. so is that date a date of landing, as a date of landing starts residency? Sorry, I am now questioning your answer, I am grateful for you contribution, but this moment is very important to me, because I am not sure if I am or not legible for medical cover.
From the link to the OHIP website it seems pretty clear to me. You do not have healthcover for 3 months after your initial "residential" arrival in Canada. You are not covered - as aren't we or anybody else in the same situation. You might want to ignore this, but at 3 months pregnant - really???. We, like a lot of people - certainly most families I think - are taking out expensive, and hopefully completely unused, health insurance.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility
Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

•be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
•be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
•be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
•make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the link provided - even now it is not very clear:
He speaks the truth, you have to have an address in Canada, bills to show to prove this etc before your OHIP kicks in. If you are out of Canada for more than 6/12 of the year then OHIP cover lapses. This is why the snowbirds are very careful about how long they spend in Florida.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

And you have to actually fill in and submit a form once you are a resident else you get nowt.

We moved on the 28th Nov to Vancouver, we got 3 months temp cover with canadasure.com, all very good and straight forward. Within a week of being here we filled out the medicare app form, photocopied our PR cards as proof of residency and sent it all off.

If you haven't done any of this, you have no state cover.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by ducktastic
And you have to actually fill in and submit a form once you are a resident else you get nowt.

We moved on the 28th Nov to Vancouver, we got 3 months temp cover with canadasure.com, all very good and straight forward. Within a week of being here we filled out the medicare app form, photocopied our PR cards as proof of residency and sent it all off.

If you haven't done any of this, you have no state cover.
What proof did you give that you are here permanently now? Otherwise the OP could do the same if you just completed the forms and photocopied PR Cards. Is it at the end of the 3 months you have to give proof of your "residency"?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
What proof did you give that you are here permanently now? Otherwise the OP could do the same if you just completed the forms and photocopied PR Cards. Is it at the end of the 3 months you have to give proof of your "residency"?
Not sure, this is what it says on the website...copied and pasted:

If you are a resident but are not enrolled, please complete and submit this form to apply for benefits. Your application must include photocopies of documents that verify the Canadian citizenship or immigration status of each person to be enrolled.

It does say on the actual form that citiizens and permanent residents of Canada may be asked to provide evidence of established residency.

So we sent off our photocopies of our PR cards as I said, but I realise that they could come back and ask for a bill, which is fine as I have a BC Hydro account and tennancy agreement.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

[QUOTE=ducktastic;9038359]Not sure, this is what it says on the website...copied and pasted:

If you are a resident but are not enrolled, please complete and submit this form to apply for benefits. Your application must include photocopies of documents that verify the Canadian citizenship or immigration status of each person to be enrolled.

It does say on the actual form that citiizens and permanent residents of Canada may be asked to provide evidence of established residency.

So we sent off our photocopies of our PR cards as I said, but I realise that they could come back and ask for a bill, which is fine as I have a BC Hydro account and tennancy agreement.[/QUOT

So actually, the OP could apply with the same information and as long as not challenged, they would be granted medical cover. I must admit, with an NHS number, I have never been challenged by anyone, anytime, about my residency in the UK. If the OP gave the address of a friend in Canada, it seems that theoretically they could get away with acquiring healthcare to which they are not entitled.

- Not that I am suggesting for one moment they would do this; especially when pregnant and potentially more likely to require medical attention/checks etc...
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I actually would suggest that the OP gets proper pre-paid med insurance through a private company before they go, as it sounds like they do not have cover, as not sure they have even applied yet.

OP - when you do get private insurance, best check the maternity cover with a fine tooth comb!

You would be mad turning up in Canada without any cover normally, but especially when preggy as if medical care was needed you would end up with enormous med bills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.