Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When Does Homesickness Kick in?

When Does Homesickness Kick in?

Old Oct 1st 2016, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Does Homesickness Kick in?

Coming up on 8 years now. First 4 years looking back on it was honeymoon period. Now i just feel trapped here, knowing there's no way i'll ever be happy in the city i'm based. Kinda homesick but mainly due to fact i never built a life outside one person here, so now that i'm trying/having to do that i realise how much i miss the depth and complexity of our social strata back home. And how much of it is missing here. Things are bland here and i suspect i need more diversity, having spent the last 20 year s travelling...
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Coming up on 8 years now. First 4 years looking back on it was honeymoon period. Now i just feel trapped here, knowing there's no way i'll ever be happy in the city i'm based. Kinda homesick but mainly due to fact i never built a life outside one person here, so now that i'm trying/having to do that i realise how much i miss the depth and complexity of our social strata back home. And how much of it is missing here. Things are bland here and i suspect i need more diversity, having spent the last 20 year s travelling...
I think you need to start somewhere afresh with a potential to create a social circle, I moved to a city....well i call it a town where i didnt know a soul, i now have a very varied social circle of friends, it took time and you have to be open minded and easy going with who you meet at first (my attitude was any company was better than no company)

I have got to a point now (i have been here 7 and half years) that i dont really miss my social circle i had in the UK anymore, as i have a substansial one here.

I think my social circle was created out of being single, and doing what i wanted when i wanted, so you should be in a good position to do that now. Although i am a little tired of that lifestyle now, it would be nice to be settled.
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 9:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think you need to start somewhere afresh with a potential to create a social circle, I moved to a city....well i call it a town where i didnt know a soul, i now have a very varied social circle of friends, it took time and you have to be open minded and easy going with who you meet at first (my attitude was any company was better than no company)
I really need to take this advice 2 years later lol. My two closest friends have moved (one to Victoria and the other to UofA in Edmonton)
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Heck I have been here 12 years and still haven't managed to create a social circle, but then I never had friends at home either...lol... Never been one who could make friends.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Heck I have been here 12 years and still haven't managed to create a social circle, but then I never had friends at home either...lol... Never been one who could make friends.
You seem a friendly sort of guy to me. I found it was best to just get out there, pubs are always good to strike up a conversation, as long as you dont bring up politics or religion too soon! lol

Take people at face value and not be judgemental unless you really cant put up with their personality, loud mouthed, blunt or arrogant, even then i found you can make exceptions if they have other qualities.

Im a pretty social kind of guy though so it depends on the individual too.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 10:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not homesick at all, except perhaps for some proper Branston.
What, Branston pickle? They sell it at Bulk Barn.

I never get homesick for the UK. Can't stand the place, glad I left. Went over for a visit a month ago and I caught a cold so that also lowered my opinion of the place even more if such a thing is possible. Brexit just confirmed my long-held belief that the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about. Which worked quite well when they were prodding people with bayonets during the 19th century but it doesn't work now.

I think perhaps I used to miss going to the seaside which I cured by going to Victoria or Vancouver.

I get homesick for the US sometimes, Americans seem more sociable than Canadians for the most part.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 11:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
...the UK...Can't stand the place...the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about...Americans seem more sociable...
Are Brits less sociable with you because you tell them what an awful place they live in and that they're so ignorant?
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes too it just feels like more of the bleeding same....you do your great big "1st" Christmas, Winter, etc, and then right around the corner comes another, and another, ad bloody infinitum....it's sometimes not Homesickness just a sort of "oh Godness" that kicks in.

Brits aren't all the same...we have lots of different 'sorts' in our nation which is why we act so differently, than heavens...how awful if we were all on schedule? The super thing is that a great big bell curve of people can and will adapt over time
Old Oct 5th 2016, 1:37 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sometimes too it just feels like more of the bleeding same....you do your great big "1st" Christmas, Winter, etc, and then right around the corner comes another, and another, ad bloody infinitum....it's sometimes not Homesickness just a sort of "oh Godness" that kicks in.

Brits aren't all the same...we have lots of different 'sorts' in our nation which is why we act so differently, than heavens...how awful if we were all on schedule? The super thing is that a great big bell curve of people can and will adapt over time
What you need is to come out West.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond repute

I never missed 'home', 7 years in. On occasion I have wished I could have a good face to face natter with my sisters or a few close friends, but that is about it!
Old Oct 5th 2016, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
You seem a friendly sort of guy to me. I found it was best to just get out there, pubs are always good to strike up a conversation, as long as you dont bring up politics or religion too soon! lol

Take people at face value and not be judgemental unless you really cant put up with their personality, loud mouthed, blunt or arrogant, even then i found you can make exceptions if they have other qualities.

Im a pretty social kind of guy though so it depends on the individual too.
I am just really really shy and quiet so I blend into the background rarely noticed.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Like Steve ........... I have never missed the UK

I found that 5 years of university meant that I had seriously moved on and beyond most of my friends from school, many who had left at 15 (bought out for £10 by parents) or 16 after GCEs and gone out to work.

They were, in some ways, more adult than I was at 22 or 23, and in other ways, I had more varied interests. There also is nothing quite like meeting a former classmate of the opposite sex on the street and stopping to chat, and realising that daggers are being directed at you by his female companion.

Sorry, honey, but I wasn't interested in him that way!!!!

But it meant that I found little interest in going back to my home town even during the time I was living elsewhere in England, except to see father and other relations.

Then we discovered in 1975 on our second visit back that our relations were interested in seeing us only if we visited them ......... we'd suggested renting a cottage near the sea for a week to give our toddler "beach time", and that the rellies could visit us. All owned cars and still drove, most were only in their 60s.

But ................ "No way, Jose" was the response.

We had to drive to them, having bored toddler in the car and meeting relations. Luckily, she wasn't too miserable!

By that time, we'd also found that most of our friends from university days had moved elsewhere, mainly to Canada or Australia, in the great exodus of the late 60s and early 70s. We're still in contact with those friends, at least with the ones who are still alive.

I think Canada is also a country of different "sorts", as Millie put it ................... and we know many of them! There is always something else to discover in this great country!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:16 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
My homesickness comes and goes.

I can't say for sure what can trigger it although around Christmas time it's not so good.
I'm the same, though the longer I stay here the less it happens.

I'm off back home at the end of the month, first time back in almost 2 years. It should be interesting.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:20 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scilly
Maybe you're living in the wrong place??

We have almost complete recycling here ...... except if you live in an apartment. The managers are slow to get the separated containers and tenants seem to think someone else will do it.

Even condo owners are getting into it.

Internet shopping is common here, and more and more grocery stores are offering the service, and some have always offered "phone in your order, we'll fill it and deliver it".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "proper food". We certainly get proper food here .......... farm fresh veggies and meats, healthy breads, etc etc. Most of the English food I can no longer remember, or wish to remember! Like the overcooked veggies, well done meat, mushy peas, tripe and onions. Maybe the fact that I was a child in the 40s and 50s meant that I was never exposed to "junk" food ....... which in those days meant bought food of any kind.

As for getting nostalgic about a place that no longer exists ..............

5 of my female cousins emigrated to Australia with their families in the early 1960s. One never settled. We spent a lot of time with her in 1975/76, and she was longing to get back to Oldham, the Moors, etc etc.

She didn't remember how dirty the town was, how many of the mills were not working .............. and that had happened even by 1967 when I left.

Then they took a long service leave "home" in the early 1980s ................ and she finally realized that her idealised Oldham and the Moors no longer existed .......... and possibly never had!

She also realized her whole family was in Australia ....... but she insisted that her husband took her ashes back to England and spread them on the Moors after she died in 2003.
I'm from Oldham too!
Only thing I miss there is the chippy! (oh and my Mam & Dad of course).
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I'm from Oldham too!
Only thing I miss there is the chippy! (oh and my Mam & Dad of course).
Hi!!

Oldham was still the dirty old mill town when I left for good in 1967. The mills were closing down, but clean up had not begun. We were last back there in 2001.

I went to school at Counthill, in the days when it was brand new, and that was great ............ on the top of a hill, only farms around it, and views for miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.