Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to apply to BUNAC???

When to apply to BUNAC???

Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:46 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: When to apply to BUNAC???

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

From the London's FAQ for the IEC.

"I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future? No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so."

There is no 3 year waits between IEC, it appears that you are confusing it with the 3 years residency eligibility in the UK to apply.

"What does “3 years residency requirement” mean?

This means that that a candidate’s permanent residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time prior to applying to the IEC. An exception is made if the candidate is temporarily in a foreign country for studies or short-term work.
Goodness this is all a bit confusing.

Ok, so I think I am going to be within my rights to apply for the program, having applied for 2 'Work Canada' style visas through BUNAC - as it seems to be saying, it doesn't matter what you have had in the past, you get two applications under the new scheme.

And since I was living in Canada under a similar scheme, I assume that won't rule me out of the residency thing (assuming that it is 3 years directly prior to the date of IEC application).

The only thing that worries me about this, is that as there limited palces. In the past the BUNAC Non Student places went ridiculously fast. So with 5,000 non specified placed up for grabs, there is a potential for these spaces to be gone within days. The BUNAC system was nice, in the sense that once you paid your programme participation fee, you had the place with them reserved (i.e. your visa), where it looks like the new system will be first application processed, first served (which is a niussance for getting an ACPO done and send to Canada, and an RCMP police check). I believe it did say in a guide on the CIC website, that BUNAC will still have a few exclusive spaces, until 2013 until that is phased out.

Goodness me my headache from yesterday is returning.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

There is an additional pain in the arse step on this that I've noticed though since applicants are now required to get proof from their bank that they have the required landing funds available at the point of application.

Sounds like a bit of a waste of time and needless extra headache to me but obviously it makes some sort of sense to the Canadians.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Goodness this is all a bit confusing.

Ok, so I think I am going to be within my rights to apply for the program, having applied for 2 'Work Canada' style visas through BUNAC - as it seems to be saying, it doesn't matter what you have had in the past, you get two applications under the new scheme.

And since I was living in Canada under a similar scheme, I assume that won't rule me out of the residency thing (assuming that it is 3 years directly prior to the date of IEC application).

The only thing that worries me about this, is that as there limited palces. In the past the BUNAC Non Student places went ridiculously fast. So with 5,000 non specified placed up for grabs, there is a potential for these spaces to be gone within days. The BUNAC system was nice, in the sense that once you paid your programme participation fee, you had the place with them reserved (i.e. your visa), where it looks like the new system will be first application processed, first served (which is a niussance for getting an ACPO done and send to Canada, and an RCMP police check). I believe it did say in a guide on the CIC website, that BUNAC will still have a few exclusive spaces, until 2013 until that is phased out.

Goodness me my headache from yesterday is returning.
Arghh I guess I had better get the ball rolling in the next day or two on that ACPO then
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I think the fact that you are already thinking about applying for ACPO, are regularly checking on here and are currently located in Western Europe should definitely work in your favour.

This year will be a strange one as a lot of applicants will not know what to do. Also I think people forget that Bunac often start advertising campaigns on campuses and online which pushes up the publicity of programmes like this where as this option requires research on behalf of the applicant. In Japan, where they have been using this sort of system for Work Canada for a while, they actually have fewer available places than the UK does and people can often just apply pretty much all year round, and working holiday programmes are very popular with the Japanese, especially for western countries.

This used to fill up quickly because they differentiated between student and non-student meaning that non-students only got around a couple of months to apply for a small quota of visas and then students could just apply as they liked and that won't be the case anymore.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Cjh330 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

From the London's FAQ for the IEC.

"I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future? No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so."

There is no 3 year waits between IEC, it appears that you are confusing it with the 3 years residency eligibility in the UK to apply.

Thats why I wrote "surely you don't need to wait 3 years inbetween"

The first part is great news, there was me coming back to england two months ago thinking that was my once in a life time year in Canada and now I can do it two more times!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think the fact that you are already thinking about applying for ACPO, are regularly checking on here and are currently located in Western Europe should definitely work in your favour.

This year will be a strange one as a lot of applicants will not know what to do. Also I think people forget that Bunac often start advertising campaigns on campuses and online which pushes up the publicity of programmes like this where as this option requires research on behalf of the applicant. In Japan, where they have been using this sort of system for Work Canada for a while, they actually have fewer available places than the UK does and people can often just apply pretty much all year round, and working holiday programmes are very popular with the Japanese, especially for western countries.

This used to fill up quickly because they differentiated between student and non-student meaning that non-students only got around a couple of months to apply for a small quota of visas and then students could just apply as they liked and that won't be the case anymore.
In terms of getting this photo signed off, I know a teacher... however he married my cousin in May so I'm guessing that gets ruled out under the family element
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
In terms of getting this photo signed off, I know a teacher... however he married my cousin in May so I'm guessing that gets ruled out under the family element
No, that should be OK as long as it isn't a member of your immediate family.

That whole process is bullshit anyway to be honest.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

No, that should be OK as long as it isn't a member of your immediate family.

That whole process is bullshit anyway to be honest.
Yeah tell me about it... I'm sure they will appreciate my £35 for a blank piece of paper though
Old Jan 6th 2011, 10:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Yeah tell me about it... I'm sure they will appreciate my £35 for a blank piece of paper though
When you get it back you will realise what a con the whole thing really is.

A word of warning as well, if my experience with them is anything to go by then if you do opt for the £35 option, they will take the full 10 days over it, don't rely on that being a maximum ETA and them getting it done any quicker.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has done Summer Camp USA through BUNAC twice, I would not agree. It is far cheaper than it's competing companies (i.e. Camp America). Plus the second time, I did all my own flights and everything, as a returner, and used conatcts from my first year of camp, which made it a lot more financially rewarding.

That whats I'm assuming. I think they have put that in, to try and stop people using the UK as a leappad from another country to Canada - I seem to remember there being issues with people coming from Britain without a basic level of English (think it was discussed in the Canada > Immigration forum).

I'm already on my second Work Canada year now, so goodness knows what I'm entitled for!
Digitalghost:

I was directly asked in Toronto for proof of return flight or mode of transport out of Canada by the immigration officer dealing with my P.O.E WHV. If it is not a requirement why would they ask? I'm Just saying!

MattieUK:

I make you 100% right! My opinion on it is that Camp America is a rip off for return camp staff BUT is good for first time Camp staff. In the early days Camp America promoted a "Free flight home" but we all knew that the $800-$900 they were stripping from British Camp Counselors on the sly from the Camp Director paid for that flight home and then some. I was a Camp Counselor in PA for 6 years for the same camp so I know first hand. I'm actually now a Camp Director in Nova Scotia. I used Camp America for 2 years and then after used the Bunac programme and took away every penny I earned. It was cheaper in the long run because I found cheaper flights, could fly early and work pre-camp and earn more money and then there were tips and bonus'.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by roxye3
Digitalghost:

I was directly asked in Toronto for proof of return flight or mode of transport out of Canada by the immigration officer dealing with my P.O.E WHV. If it is not a requirement why would they ask? I'm Just saying!
Not sure to be honest, possibly because the border officers knew that it had become a defacto arrangement with Bunac and so instead got used to asking British landers for onward tickets instead of proof of funds, which incidentally isn't something that Bunac's documentation advises participants to carry with them at immigration.

I know people from other countries who have applied for YMS Canada and it is not a requirement of the visa for them in any way so if the CIC were only imposing this on British passport holders they were essentially guilty of prejudice.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:28 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

To clarify...there is an alternative to bunac and 2 year visas are possible for people applying thus year?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:06 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zRichi
To clarify...there is an alternative to bunac and 2 year visas are possible for people applying thus year?
Ok, to clarify, there is going to be no 'alternative' to BUNAC - just a 'do it yourself route' of working directly with the Canadian embassy.

And there are no '2 year visas' (so it isn't like the Australians visiting Canada system now where I believe you literally get one two year visa). The move is that the student and non student criteria was been removed, and that essentially everyone can apply for 2 years, but they are still two one year visas.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

that essentially everyone can apply for 2 years, but they are still two one year visas.

Hope that helps.
Is that the case or can someone now apply as many times as they like providing they are still eligible?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:48 pm
Temporary Canuck

Is that the case or can someone now apply as many times as they like providing they are still eligible?
Nope, you get two one year applications (regardless of previous participation):

The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.