Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When to apply to BUNAC???

When to apply to BUNAC???

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:02 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to apply to BUNAC???

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Simply, the CIC contracted the whole thing out to Bunac and Bunac used it to profiteer.

Unlike the new system and the system already in place for Australia and New Zealand, the previous system saw the Canada YMS exclusively handled by third party agencies for UK and Irish nationals. The UK applications were handled by Bunac and the Irish applications were handled by another similar organisation. This put the system out of whack for citizens of those two countries and basically meant that the Brits and the Irish were being discriminated against by the Canadians, whether by coincidence or by design, since those organisations charged additional mandatory fees for their services on top of the standard application fee, with a Bunac applicant facing fees of around £500 (before ACPO, flights and insurance) and the Irish paying even more. Bunac also insisted upon seeing the applicants return flight and insurance information before they would release the introduction letter to them as even though a return flight is not a pre-requisite of the CIC, Bunac knew that it was damn difficult to book a return flights 1yr+ in advance and so it gave them a selling point for their charter ticket out of which they would earn a hefty commission and to sell their 'unique' insurance policy organised via Endsleigh which was also astronomically priced.

Don't get me wrong, Bunac is a great system for 19 year old gap year students and 21 year old graduates as they offer support services not offered directly by the CIC and are friendly and helpful when you talk to them however they should be an option and not the only option and the new system should help to balance things a little. Realistically, there is no reason why a PhD graduate, an experienced white collar professional or tradesman in their late 20's should be treated in the same way as a 19 year old A-level student who has never lived away from home before and wants a year out before university.
BUNAC is a not for profit org set up for students. As a non-student applicant I had no problem being charged a premium to get a visa (we're not exactly talking much money). It helped me get into Canada and if it supports BUNAC financially then so be it. I never had one problem with the process, in fact it was a darn sight easier than dealing with CIC direct, I can tell you that much. At least there's a live person you can speak to and response is quick.

As for the over priced insurance and airfares- you've got to remember this is set up for students who may not have travelled on their own. Much smoother for BUNAC if they know everyone has appropriate insurance in place. In the event of any issues BUNAC will be the first phone call and they have to deal with the mess.

That being said, the new system is definitely fairer, gives non-students a choice and is more in line with other countries WHV programs
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:31 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
the new system is definitely fairer, gives non-students a choice and is more in line with other countries WHV programs
Which I think is fair enough really and is all anybody can really ask for.

In actual fact, this now means that British applicants get a better deal than pretty much any other nationality I know of apart from the Australians.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Nope, you get two one year applications (regardless of previous participation):
So even if you've applied once already through Bunac then you're still permitted 2 more applications under the new rules as long as you're still eligible?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:25 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

So even if you've applied once already through Bunac then you're still permitted 2 more applications under the new rules as long as you're still eligible?
Seems that way, according to how they phrase it on the FAQ for the IEC:

The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.
Sounds like they are treating the new scheme as a completely different entity, and everyone gets the two year allowance.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

I actually went to Canada in in 2005 with Bunac and stayed the full year. It was my only option in so far as getting there via a visa so at the time I had no qualms in paying the money they requested, plus they dealt with everything. I'd just turned 31 at the time and the upper age limit was then 35, it gave me the opportunity that Oz or NZ couldn't offer and I was over the moon. But now I have mixed emotions about the new changes. If only the 2 year visa had applied then I would most definately have stayed as I'd met someone and was in a relationship with a canadian at the time, creating a very emotional experience when i had no choice but to return to the UK. But now I see that the age restriction has been lowered to 30 which I think is extremely unfair. If like me at the time, people now want to apply who have a wealth of life and work experince but who are by no-means 'old' at the age of 30, they're unable to qualify. I have nothing against those, particularly youngsters (under the age of 30) who wish to go to Canada simply for the 'experience', in fact i encourage them, but surely the government of canada should recognize those who are older but have more ambition and professional employment experience, who potentially could offer Canada more long term benefits than working in a bar for a year or so.

To be honest I find these one/two year visas somewhat discriminatory for the year 21st Century.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

30 year olds are eligible actually, it's up to 30 inclusive so you're eligible up until the age of 31 now and can enter Canada at the age of 31 as long as you were still 30 when the visa application was submitted.

I completely agree with you on everything else though.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

30 year olds are eligible actually, it's up to 30 inclusive so you're eligible up until the age of 31 now and can enter Canada at the age of 31 as long as you were still 30 when the visa application was submitted.

I completely agree with you on everything else though.
Me too! I'd like to see the age limit put back to at least 35. Also a 2 year visa instead of one. Not sure how the Aussies and Kiwi's blagged that deal! I believe Canadians get 2 years in the Britain.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by roxye3
Me too! I'd like to see the age limit put back to at least 35. Also a 2 year visa instead of one. Not sure how the Aussies and Kiwi's blagged that deal! I believe Canadians get 2 years in the Britain.
They do but they can only work for the first year and it's a once in a lifetime deal where as we can reapply for this on multiple occasions as long as we still qualify.

Plus after clicking on a link from the CIC website to the UK YMS website, the application process looks even less friendly than the Canadian one. I've seen them dealing with Aussie applicants on that UK Border Force show and they want real proof of ties to the applicant's home country and the proof of funds requirement is likely astronomical since I would imagine they expect 95% of people to head straight for the South East.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 8th 2011 at 11:34 pm. Reason: .
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

They also can repeat as many times as they like provided they meet the requirements
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
They also can repeat as many times as they like provided they meet the requirements
Really? No wonder Vancouver is constantly full of Australians.

The Japanese can only apply for a one year and only once though so I think that rule still varies between countries.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Really? No wonder Vancouver is constantly full of Australians.

The Japanese can only apply for a one year and only once though so I think that rule still varies between countries.
Yeah, there is also no limit on the number of visas their embassy can issue
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Yeah, there is also no limit on the number of visas their embassy can issue
I think there was no limit on Canadian WHV visas issued to UK students until this year but yes, the Australians have really done well with that one.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there was no limit on Canadian WHV visas issued to UK students until this year but yes, the Australians have really done well with that one.
I believe it was 1 for Non students and open for Students.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I believe it was 1 for Non students and open for Students.
It was indeed... but I meant total number of visas that the High Commission can issue per scheme year
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:11 am
Sidecar Falcon

It was indeed... but I meant total number of visas that the High Commission can issue per scheme year
Yes that was previously unlimited for British students I think. Bunac could submit pretty much as many student applications to the CIC as they received as long as all of them met the eligibility requirements.

I wonder with the new system whether the counter will be managed from the first 5000 applications they receive or the first 5000 that they process and approve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.