Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
nah,

bud ma momma has sum cuzins frum alabama
Lol.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Lol.
No seriously she does, my grandfathers sister married a GI from Alabama and moved over
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
No seriously she does, my grandfathers sister married a GI from Alabama and moved over
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:50 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Consumer goods are priced to maximize the sellers profit objectives. Costs, including taxes, have little influence on the selling price.

Edited to add: The thought process is not "this costs x to make, lets try to sell it at x + 20%". Rather it is "the punters will pay y for this if we market it this way. Can we make it for y less 30% or better? Yes! Go for it".
That only works if the market is fairly controlled - competition should drive costs down. Hmm I just remembered which country we live in - 'competition, what's that?'
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That only works if the market is fairly controlled - competition should drive costs down. Hmm I just remembered which country we live in - 'competition, what's that?'
There's plenty of competition in Canada for goods where there's mass demand. It might be the perfect market for woolly hats; huge demand, many suppliers, a utilitarian product with little to distinguish one example from another. Same with plaid shirts and doughnuts.

Competition is only lacking in goods where there's direct government quota and/or price control, such as agricultural products, or ones where the demand is small, such as fashion related goods. The latter is a function of having a small and diverse population, there just aren't that many people in Canada who can tell which clothes are fashionable in Paris or London and those who can are spread all over Montreal, making distribution expensive. Same with cheese, saris, sports cars, ska records, not enough people in one place want these things so they're expensive to obtain; I expect the same would be true if we were literally 500 miles up the Limpopo.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It is. However there is real ethnic tension there, just as in Sydney. One of my boyfriends was constantly on guard in his suburb, which was predominantly lebonese (he wasn't). Being abused as a whore for wearing western style clothing by groups of men in cars in parts of Melbourne. And then there's the dinky-di aussies and their regular use of 'wog' 'abbo' etc. which doesn't help.

Yep, overall, it's way more in your face in Melbourne than here. Never ever been abused here for dressing like a western woman. And in your face use of racial slurs as part of normal conversation - I don't here that here.

My favourite (sarc) was the engineer and manager of a large project who said that abbos had interbred with apes on their way to australia. yes, really. in public. in front of all the staff.

I temped a lot around Melbourne and I came across attitudes like that regularly.
Never been to Canada so my in no position to compare from personal experience.
My understanding is that Canada is the most diverse nation in the world and Australia follows a close second.
Australia is one of the most politically correct nations on earth(stiflingly so)hence am surprised the comments you say was made by that manager to his staff...these sentiments maybe felt by some....and i expect quite a few ,but rarely expressed in public.
Australia i would suggest as improved leaps and bounds with ethnic acceptance.(among general population)
Worst critique i can think about Melbourne is perhaps a slight arrogance with regards to people there thinking they live in the best city (perhaps the world)and express a little too loud that they are more sophisticated than others in that country.
It is often said Canadians are ..nice..people Perhaps a little more reserved than Americans and Australians but have an equal degree of patriosim.
Problems would appear at least from the outside as similar...over priced housing medical system under strain ,education issues,violent crime(seems bad in Van)cost of living.Except there of course you have a very cold winter
to put up with it..must be difficult for the elderly there?
Hope you continue to enjoy Canada..wonder if you will stay there or return to NZ??
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Australia is one of the most politically correct nations on earth(stiflingly so)
Eh? During our visit we were hugely amused by the things people could do and say there. Things that would be out of the question in Canada.

One example was that we often saw people beating their children in public, a raised hand brings the cops here. Another was that my OH ceased to be a person, if she bought something the shopkeeper or tram driver would give me the change. I was twice congratulated on her tits.

This was all great fun but if you think public displays of racism and sexism are stiffled in Australia you certainly aint ready for Canada.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Eh? During our visit we were hugely amused by the things people could do and say there. Things that would be out of the question in Canada.

One example was that we often saw people beating their children in public, a raised hand brings the cops here. Another was that my OH ceased to be a person, if she bought something the shopkeeper or tram driver would give me the change. I was twice congratulated on her tits.

This was all great fun but if you think public displays of racism and sexism are stiffled in Australia you certainly aint ready for Canada.
Around here you'd be looking at an ambulance.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to England and France i do find Australia very politically correct rather conformist and conservative to boot.
Contary to a lot of expectations of it being so laid back which is, i think a little over done..lot of neurotic people around and there is an edge of (usually repressed aggression )
Wonder where your OH experienced such sexist behavior??Aussie men can be a little,shall we say awkward around women,perhaps this is partly shyness?
But i would have thought those attitudes would have discarded long ago.
Looks like there still red neck ockers around(usually in the country)
Is Canada really so different??
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Wonder where your OH experienced such sexist behavior?
The tram driver was in Adelaide. The more vulgar commentator was a ferryman somewhere near Cape Tribulation. The slapped children were in Sydney.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I was twice congratulated on her tits.
These days people congratulate me on my tits, which is even more disconcerting.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JonboyE
These days people congratulate me on my tits, which is even more disconcerting.
I didn't know you were a bird breeder.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:31 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? During our visit we were hugely amused by the things people could do and say there.
Were you not tempted to stay?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by G77
Were you not tempted to stay?
I'm always tempted to stay in hot places with beaches. I've long fantasized about being a deck chair attendant.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

I'm always tempted to stay in hot places with beaches. I've long fantasized about being a deck chair attendant.
On a women's-only nudist beach?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.