Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

?Whats work life balance like?

?Whats work life balance like?

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

AzLar41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ?Whats work life balance like?

I know this is a tough thing to call out, but what is a typical office working week like?
How much holiday is standard?
Sick Pay?
School holiday cover if no holiday?
Does it all depend on the company ?

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ?Whats work life balance like?

Originally Posted by AzLar41
I know this is a tough thing to call out, but what is a typical office working week like?
Depends on the job and the office. Mine is whatever I want it to be.

Minimum is 4% of pay (2 weeks) up to 5 years service then 6% (3 weeks).

Sick Pay?
Don't get sick. Some have extended health to cover this. Nothing mandated.

The employees problem.

Entirely. Large organisations and govt jobs offer more than the majority of employers.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

So with two weeks pay and 8 weeks off what do the majority do? take unpaid leave? just doesn't sound overly feasible?
thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a huge variety of responses to questions like those. It'll depend on seniority, nature of the profession, how in demand the position is etc etc.

FWIW, my situation is this:

I know this is a tough thing to call out, but what is a typical office working week like? 8.30-4.30, Monday-Friday, with no expectations outside those hours
How much holiday is standard? 6 weeks plus 13 additional days (bank holidays etc). It's not unusual to have to accumulate vacation time for 12 months before you're able to take it.
Sick Pay? Yes
Health/dental/life insurances? Yes
Pension plan? Yes, municipal scheme.
School holiday cover if no holiday? No
Does it all depend on the company ? Yes, negotiate whatever you can.

Thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

that great thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Aviator.

I've noticed though that there seem to be more companies offering three weeks holiday now than 6 years ago. But you're talking about an increase from maybe 0.25% to 0.5% of companies.

For the perks you need to be working for the big corporates. I worked for TD Insurance for a while. I hated the job but I got 4 weeks off (holiday and personal days combined). I got 2 weeks sick at full pay. Pension, free banking, 5% credit card, staff mortgage,massively discounted insurance and a few other things I can't even remember.
But it was soul destroying.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

I agree with Aviator.

I've noticed though that there seem to be more companies offering three weeks holiday now than 6 years ago. But you're talking about an increase from maybe 0.25% to 0.5% of companies.

For the perks you need to be working for the big corporates. I worked for TD Insurance for a while. I hated the job but I got 4 weeks off (holiday and personal days combined). I got 2 weeks sick at full pay. Pension, free banking, 5% credit card, staff mortgage,massively discounted insurance and a few other things I can't even remember.
Originally Posted by DandNHill
But it was soul destroying.
why so?
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

How much holiday is standard? Company offers nothing above what is mandated by government.

Sick Pay? None.

School holiday cover if no holiday? Employee's issue, type of job it is they can't accommodate special schedules.

Does it all depend on the company ? Mostly yes. My company doesn't negotiate pay/benefits etc, it's a take it or leave it type place.

Thanks
I work for a medium sized company but not an office job.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:45 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Sick Pay?

Thanks
With the first job I had on return to Canada I got 2 weeks (the minimum by law) but you couldn't use them in the first year - you had to earn them first - so I took 1 week unpaid holiday that year. It was a small company. However with my last employer I had 25 days (including sick days). It was a much bigger company. 3 weeks is what I see normally with job offers but some bigger companies offer more.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 2:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
With the first job I had on return to Canada I got 2 weeks (the minimum by law) but you couldn't use them in the first year - you had to earn them first
Employees don't in actuality get 2 weeks off, what they get is 4% of what they earn accrued as vacation pay. Until you have earned it you cannot be paid for vacation. Overtime and bonuses also attract vacation pay, so one can end up with more than the equivalent of 2 weeks.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 3:14 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the biggest work life balance is my 15 minute commute to and from work.

I now spend an extra 10hrs per week at home with the family compared to my old job in England. That makes a huge difference. It's like an additional 50 days holiday each year.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

So with two weeks pay and 8 weeks off what do the majority do? take unpaid leave? just doesn't sound overly feasible?
thanks
Pay for childcare. Leave them at home. Work in schools, or other jobs that have vacations timed to coincide with school vacations. Same as in Britain - four weeks holiday here still only covers half the summer break never mind half-term, Easter, Christmas, Inset days...
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Unpaid leave would be unlikely, a lot of companies wouldn't allow it. As said above, you'd do whatever you'd do in the UK, so put them in holiday clubs (camps are popular in Canada i.e. ship them off for a full week) or pay for a childminder type service.

And again as said above it really does depend on the job and seniority level, my husband got 5 weeks straight away, but he was transferring from the UK office so kept his UK holiday allowance, and he was at director level. Others in his office only got 2 weeks (and some didn't even get that, if they'd only just started).

If you can tell people what your job is, then those in the same industry might be able to tell you what the norm is.

And this Wiki article may be useful - Annual Leave-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all!
Very useful.
I work in the IT industry, service management type roles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.