Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Originally Posted by matt_t
+1 . And Julius get yourself back to Canada (if its that easy). They are the only selfish ones in all if this.
+1
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

God it's awful when I read how some people react to your news.

I can't wait to tell the rest of my family so I can stick two fingers up and fly half way across the world!!

Pooh I sound awful don't I
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I see we are developing into usual complaints that expats have. Why don't my family care? Why don't my friends congratulate me?

Stop being so self centred and attention seeking - their lives don't revolve around you and they will ...gasp... be quite capable of continuing with them when you've buggered off to wherever it is you are going.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I see we are developing into usual complaints that expats have. Why don't my family care? Why don't my friends congratulate me?

Stop being so self centred and attention seeking - their lives don't revolve around you and they will ...gasp... be quite capable of continuing with them when you've buggered off to wherever it is you are going.
That's a good point. You have to realize that their lives don't change very much, unlike yours, so its understandable that while they might think you're being a bit self-centered or a little impetuous, they don't really care what you do.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:08 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt this thread all about discussing the weirdest things said to you when you tell people you are moving?? Doesnt this naturally mean that people will post their replies to that.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

I dont think anyone is being like that we are 'discussing' the weirdest things that have been said to us.

I dont think expecting your family to be happy and elated for your decision is self centred!!!! Its a natural feeling to want them to be happy for you!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Isnt this thread all about discussing the weirdest things said to you when you tell people you are moving?? Doesnt this naturally mean that people will post their replies to that.
Of course. But there's the whiff of condescension about it. Lets laugh at the people who aren't emigrating like us because we are so interesting and adventurous.

Originally Posted by familyof4

I dont think anyone is being like that we are 'discussing' the weirdest things that have been said to us.

I dont think expecting your family to be happy and elated for your decision is self centred!!!! Its a natural feeling to want them to be happy for you!
I can understand people wanting validation from their family. On the other hand they've done nothing wrong other than not match your pre-conceptions of how to behave when you tell them how amazing your life is going to be. People just talk about how selfish 'they' are.

Think about it though, your parents might only ever see you a dozen or so times again before they die - maybe less depending on their age. If you have kids they are probably not going to see them grow up. And you wonder why they might not be ecstatic? Never mind, lets just laugh and complain about them instead.

(you might think you'll go back every year or they'll visit you - but what makes you think that air travel will still be affordable in 2020 or 2030? Especially for a family of 4)
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road

Lets laugh at the people who aren't emigrating like us because we are so interesting and adventurous.

I think people just want "approval" from their families. Not wishing for them to fail miserably and come crawling back, so they can be smug and say I told you so. Two sides to every story I guess.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:43 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

actually i was more concerned that these people who know me, really well, think id leave my doggy behind...
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law said "can you get the football scores in Canada?" Then he said "I wonder if they have HP Sauce". Then he wandered off!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. But there's the whiff of condescension about it. Lets laugh at the people who aren't emigrating like us because we are so interesting and adventurous.

I can understand people wanting validation from their family. On the other hand they've done nothing wrong other than not match your pre-conceptions of how to behave when you tell them how amazing your life is going to be. People just talk about how selfish 'they' are.

Think about it though, your parents might only ever see you a dozen or so times again before they die - maybe less depending on their age. If you have kids they are probably not going to see them grow up. And you wonder why they might not be ecstatic? Never mind, lets just laugh and complain about them instead.

(you might think you'll go back every year or they'll visit you - but what makes you think that air travel will still be affordable in 2020 or 2030? Especially for a family of 4)
I think it's based on the concept that leaving Britain is automatically 'better' and so must be something that everybody would do if they got the chance.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:21 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bali2010
an assumption that I will find a mountie or a lumberjack
Haha! My Mum has said the same thing! But I'd quite like that sort of happy ending myself.... I love lumberjacks and Mounties!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Dowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really niceDowski is just really nice

Originally Posted by foxytri
When I decided to move to Vancouver on my own I had various comments:

"it's cold there you know?" - on the year that London had the coldest winter. You would think that London is basking in sunshine 364 days a year from the way people were speaking!!

"I'm not saying goodbye because you'll be back in a year" - this person seriously thought I was changing my life for an extended holiday - he still believes in his heart that I will miss London so much I'll be back any day now

about a new 'relationship' "so if he wants to be serious, you'll be staying then?" - err so I should give up all the plans that I made for the past 4 years, in case someone wants to have a relationship with me???

other statements have been on the lines of - you're being stupid, you don't know what you're doing, how are you going to earn money. Just really obvious stuff.

For those that are moving it continues when you get to Canada. When I got a job, when I moved into my own place.....

I have been back to London and friends and family simply can't believe that I could be happier starting a new life somewhere else.

I just smile and don't react, at the end of the day it's my life and I shall do what I see fit with it! I love Canada at the moment - I've been here nearly 8 months so far (wow that went quick!) and have no complaints!
Well said, very well said!