Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:01 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

I was chatting to my 17 yo neice about the forthcoming move and she said to me... OMG i just looked up where vancouver is... its only 40 odd miles from Forks, wa. so ok, i asked what is forks, wa...

twilight she said, twi-frikkin-light...

apparently once i can get over the boarder without too many hastles i have to visit forks and see if i can get photos of all the vampires
her. im sure when i was 17 i was way more mature... oh no wait... LOST BOYS... snort
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice
Default Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

I've had,

Are you mad????
Have you any idea what's involved???
Are you re-homing the dog??

I suppose they are not weird as such, but sometimes I wish people would keep their gobs shut
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I've had loads...

"Err why??"

"Can we come on holiday??" and my favourite one

"Good job you like cold weather eh?" (I am known for staying inside in summer and be the only one not moaning on freezing cold mornings!)

and

"OOh aren't you brave - I would never do something like that!"

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Oct 10th 2011 at 8:37 pm. Reason: forgotten info
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:55 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah re getting rid of the dog, so many people have asked what we are doing with him... Erm paying thru the nose to bring him with us! he is a family pet and only marginally less unthinkable than leaving one of the kids behind! He is my fur-baby!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Many people have asked me about the dog- fair enough- although we wouldn't contemplate leaving him; but more than one person has asked if we are taking the kids?!

I can sort of understand where they are coming from with my son... he's 17. My daughter is 12. :
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

we took the dogs and left the kids what a joy
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL we had a lot of "ooh aren't you brave?!"
Er no, we just decided to get off our butts and do something about where we lived, rather than just whinge and whine about it!!!
"I could never leave my family and friends" which one could take as meaning, we are selfish for leaving ours!LOL
Oh and then there were the cards that said Good luck in your new life, and goodbye! Oh ok then, I guess we won't keep in touch!LOL
Gotta love some peoples take on life!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:48 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people looked at me blankly and asked, "What's in Canada?"
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

It's funny isn't it how people react to your news all my reactions came from my mum only mine and my hubby's parents know were going at the moment we haven't told anyone else yet, not until all the papers come as we don't have good luck in our lives so were waiting till we have that before we tell people. (yet I've told a whole load of people on a forum I don't know )

But I will get questions when the house goes up for sale after Xmas but for now were telling people we are moving to another area near us
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I think you find out who your friends are at a time like this. Some of my friends are chuffed to bits and share our excitement. Other ones (some that I wouldn't have expected it from) say "oh right. That's nice" and then act as disinterested as possible....
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I think you find out who your friends are at a time like this. Some of my friends are chuffed to bits and share our excitement. Other ones (some that I wouldn't have expected it from) say "oh right. That's nice" and then act as disinterested as possible....
I think in many cases that may be a mixture of surprise/shock, envy and then a healthy dose of not daring to think too much about it in case they want to do the same thing....but daren't!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
I think in many cases that may be a mixture of surprise/shock, envy and then a healthy dose of not daring to think too much about it in case they want to do the same thing....but daren't!
Well said....
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Ive told my two best friends and was one jumped for joy and the other just said that's nice what made you do that??

I cant wait for my stressful journed of moving accross the atlantic!!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

we had - " oh I am so pleased you are GETTING OUT of the UK" from my mum from her perch in Germany
and " why would you move somewhere its freezing?" from friends
and "you will fail, your marriage will fail, you should stay in England for the best chance in the economic climate!" from my dad - thanks dad you are full of pleasantries

Some friends said that we would come back and why arent we keeping a house there and others disowned us almost immediately.

It was certainly an interesting side of the whole thing, thats the nicest way I can think to put it!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
we had - " oh I am so pleased you are GETTING OUT of the UK" from my mum from her perch in Germany
and " why would you move somewhere its freezing?" from friends
and "you will fail, your marriage will fail, you should stay in England for the best chance in the economic climate!" from my dad - thanks dad you are full of pleasantries

Some friends said that we would come back and why arent we keeping a house there and others disowned us almost immediately.

It was certainly an interesting side of the whole thing, thats the nicest way I can think to put it!
I take it you're there (NS) now...? If so, are you all delighted so far? If not, don't let anyone put you off - if you're all going together as a family and you've all bought into it fully...nobody else's opinion is important. Best of luck - see you in NS in a while!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.