Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
I take it you're there (NS) now...? If so, are you all delighted so far? If not, don't let anyone put you off - if you're all going together as a family and you've all bought into it fully...nobody else's opinion is important. Best of luck - see you in NS in a while!
Hi, yes we are here and have been since March. Its great and everything we hoped for. Good luck with your adventure!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:38 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

loving that im not the only one that been a bit bewildered. we've als been asked why we want to move to somewhere so snowy... vancouver tends to be around the same temperature wise as where we are... (southampton) ive been tracking it on my iphone for two years. it gets a bit colder but not -30.

youd think we were heading for nunuvit...
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road

The best I've had is "what if it doesn't work out". To me that's like saying why dont I never take a risk in my life and then start saying "if only" when your old and knackered.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:42 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt_t
The best I've had is "what if it doesn't work out". To me that's like saying why dont I never take a risk in my life and then start saying "if only" when your old and knackered.
Well what if doesnt work out!??????!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

and there will be some just waiting for you to say you are going back to England as it hasnt worked out! I think thats just British culture, waiting for you to "fail" just so they can say - told you so!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Then I will start a new life under the sea.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:57 pm
Happy

You will just deal with it, like everything else in life
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:03 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am firmly of the belief that you set yourself up to fail if you have a firm plan for failing.

I guess we never really considered it not working out, but I did have firmly in my mind a guy we met over here who'd been here around 7 years and doing very well thankyou. He reported that his family would have "gone home" several times over in the first 1-2 years they were here. They actually didn't have that option available at the time, so they stuck it out and got over the hump, and now go from strength to strength each year! (financially and all other ways).
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
You will just deal with it, like everything else in life
And think......."what if?"
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:47 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

an assumption that I will find a mountie or a lumberjack

this may be more a reflection on me, than Canada of course

most frequent comment is that I can just go quickly and easily due to either or both of family there / having a good education....if only
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:14 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: whats the weirdest thing someone has said to you about moving...

[QUOTE=Geordie Lass;9667962]

"Good job you like cold weather eh?" (I am known for staying inside in summer and be the only one not moaning on freezing cold mornings!)

youre not the only 1 Mrs arniedog and i are also fans of cold weather we have had "why do you want to live in a place that is always cold and covered in snow " , "what are you doing with the dog " as if we could ever think of doing anything but take him with us , and the most common one "ive always wanted to go to Canada , how many bedrooms has your new house got ? "
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

janham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by familyof4
It's funny isn't it how people react to your news all my reactions came from my mum only mine and my hubby's parents know were going at the moment we haven't told anyone else yet, not until all the papers come as we don't have good luck in our lives so were waiting till we have that before we tell people. (yet I've told a whole load of people on a forum I don't know )

But I will get questions when the house goes up for sale after Xmas but for now were telling people we are moving to another area near us
Yes we've told family and some close friends and have had the cracks about the snow and oooh will you get jobs etc but not work yet incase things don't work out. We are in Cheshire and have the house up for sale so ended up mentioning it to the odd neighbour where news soon spread but until that sponsorship comes through and we sell or make the descision to rent the house out we won't tell work

ps i'm not sure when I joined this forum and BE's of NS that people could see on Facebook also my sister in law in Oz mentioned it once on FB or is it I think folk can sense I have something big to hide
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't so much as weird but the general consensus was, "You're going where? You poor bastard."
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The most common thing said to us was:

"...but what about the lack of pension indexing"
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It wasn't so much as weird but the general consensus was, "You're going where? You poor bastard."
The Canadian expat I knew in Bangkok said "wtf are you going there for?"

Comparing my lifestyle of then with now I think he had a point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.