Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you pay someone to do for you?

What would you pay someone to do for you?

Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you pay someone to do for you?

Originally Posted by enak
Window cleaning.

Back in the UK there was oversupply - they used to knock and offer to do it.
Here in Ontario I've not seen anybody doing it (presumably more people do it themselves)
It's too bloody expensive here! I was quoted a ridiculous figure in the $100s for my place. I paid 8 quid per month in the UK and it took them 10 minutes tops to do it. I do my own windows, inside and out.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I really want looking at window cleaning. The idea cam about when some teachers I know said they couldn't take time away from work to collect dry cleaning or nip to IKEA etc. I often have trouble finding time to go to the post office or the garage for an MOT. Could this be turned into a business?

Appreciate any ideas or tips.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Things we’ve had done this year

Had our blinds taken down, washed and put back up
Our old smelly sofa and BBQ taken away and dumped
Kitchen cabinets refinished
New ugly looking sink put in
Bedroom and study carpets cleaned
Boat washed and waxed
Most of the other cleaning stuff, like windows, parking stalls etc is done by our building mgt.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Only services we have paid for this year:

Oil change on car*
Help unloading Uhaul**

Coming up later in the year

Have the car waxed
Need new tires installed

* I could oil change myself but its not allowed anywhere so only option is to have it done and really no significant savings doing it ourself.

** no way was I unloading the entire truck myself. I still unloaded it but needed help.

Its doesnt appear the building owner has ever cleaned the windows on the outside here based on the level of dust.. I keep the patio door glass clean but the living room window is not accessible for me to do it. Requires a tall ladder (3rd floor) or a pressure washer, plus its not tenants job to keep the outside windows cleaned.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 22nd 2016 at 9:25 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
Thanks for the ideas guys, but I really want looking at window cleaning. The idea cam about when some teachers I know said they couldn't take time away from work to collect dry cleaning or nip to IKEA etc. I often have trouble finding time to go to the post office or the garage for an MOT. Could this be turned into a business?

I think taking things to the post office could be turned into a neat local business. Filling in international customs forms and figuring out if it would be cheaper to take it across the border to the US (often is) or to use a courier... it takes ages for folks to do that where I work.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin

Yes, it could. As previously mentioned, it's sometimes called personal concierge services. You would need to research your local target market, find out what services already exist, what people are willing to pay, how many people would use the service, whether it's financially viable etc etc.

One of my neighbours does this sort of stuff. She works extremely hard, & probably only pulls in the equivalent of a part-time salary. Which is all she needs & wants. She gets work through word of mouth/referrals.

As a very wide generalization, it might be feasible in a large city (but probably already exists there), or in (wealthy) "cottage" country. You'd also need to be able to turn your hand to a very wide range of services, including handyman/window-cleaning/housekeeping/cleaning/errand running/dog-walking/scheduling or supervising contractors/meeting & greeting/ etc etc etc type stuff, probably.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enak
I think taking things to the post office could be turned into a neat local business. Filling in international customs forms and figuring out if it would be cheaper to take it across the border to the US (often is) or to use a courier... it takes ages for folks to do that where I work.
Most companies have someone called a secretary, or a PA, or a clerk/admin etc ... to work that stuff out for them I'm not sure how many private individuals would regularly need that service enough to make it financially viable without offering other services.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:24 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Things we’ve had done this year

Had our blinds taken down, washed and put back up
Our old smelly sofa and BBQ taken away and dumped
Kitchen cabinets refinished
New ugly looking sink put in
Bedroom and study carpets cleaned
Boat washed and waxed

Most of the other cleaning stuff, like windows, parking stalls etc is done by our building mgt.
Surely that should be top of the list, with maybe BBQ at no 2?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall oink lives ina condo and surprised they let bbqs in.

I miss bbqs. They always seem to be banned anywhere I live...

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Surely that should be top of the list, with maybe BBQ at no 2?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:33 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

He probably lights it up in the lounge and stinks like a kipper once he is finished- note he got rid of the stinky sofa () at the same time which makes me suspicious

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 23rd 2016 at 2:40 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:37 am
Account Closed

You have a very valid point there....lol

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
He probably lights it up in lounge and stinks like a kipper once he is finished- note he got rid of the stinky sofa () at the same time which makes me suspicious
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:53 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

They're allowed on our balcony but firstly, we never used it and secondly HID has bought a massive wrap around patio couch so there'll be no room for it. We are allowed one those gas powered heat lamps so that should to keep all her prosecco-soaked cackling mates warm.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Venture your in a high rise glass and steel building?

Probably why they are banned everywhere I live. Low rise probably wood structure and the plastic stuff they use for the exterior probably burns or melts too easy....lol

Originally Posted by Oink
They're allowed on our balcony but firstly, we never used it and secondly HID has bought a massive wrap around patio couch so there'll be no room for it. We are allowed one those gas powered heat lamps so that should to keep all her prosecco-soaked cackling mates warm.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I pay someone to clean out my septic tank, I pay a guy to muck out the horses. Don't have anyone to pick up the dog crap yet, but it needs doing.
There's a business in my nearest town that goes round customers gardens collecting the dog crap. Believe they charge $75.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
There's a business in my nearest town that goes round customers gardens collecting the dog crap. Believe they charge $75.
Is that annually or 'piece' work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.