Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you pay someone to do for you?

What would you pay someone to do for you?

Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you pay someone to do for you?

Ok, all a series question as I am looking for a career change and want to do some research.

I am thinking of dropping out of the rat race and do my own thing and the idea that keeps coming up is Errand boy ( please don't laugh and here me out)😳😳 Where I presently live and work everybody seems so busy and stressed that the little things are time consuming. Friends of mine are teachers and they can't just nip out to do things hence in conversation it got me thinking. Some things that came up where taking things back to shops for return, collecting people at airports, dogs to groomers, shopping, keys cut, garage runs, post office etc etc.

Now I am not mechanically minded so I don't intend to go down the odd job route. I would be interested for research purposes what don't you have time to do and how much would you be willing to pay somebody.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you pay someone to do for you?

That's a great idea, so good, in fact, that someone else has already created an app for that.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:43 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I pay someone to clean out my septic tank, I pay a guy to muck out the horses. Don't have anyone to pick up the dog crap yet, but it needs doing.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin
Ok, all a series question as I am looking for a career change and want to do some research.

I am thinking of dropping out of the rat race and do my own thing and the idea that keeps coming up is Errand boy ( please don't laugh and here me out)😳😳 Where I presently live and work everybody seems so busy and stressed that the little things are time consuming. Friends of mine are teachers and they can't just nip out to do things hence in conversation it got me thinking. Some things that came up where taking things back to shops for return, collecting people at airports, dogs to groomers, shopping, keys cut, garage runs, post office etc etc.

Now I am not mechanically minded so I don't intend to go down the odd job route. I would be interested for research purposes what don't you have time to do and how much would you be willing to pay somebody.

Many thanks.

I think that is a modern illusion, one that helps people create meaning and power in an increasingly alienating and atomizing existence. In reality, we've never had more time to do things. Most of the time consuming drudgery of life is now automated and enhanced by technology.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of similar personal concierge services in the UK, about £15 an hour seems to be the going rate here. Or a private PA will usually do all that as part of the job too, salary up to £100k a year though!
Old Feb 18th 2016, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think that is a modern illusion, one that helps people create meaning and power in an increasingly alienating and atomizing existence. In reality, we've never had more time to do things. Most of the time consuming drudgery of life is now automated and enhanced by technology.
Very true.....but technology now also takes away out spare time, such as what we are doing here! many others are addicted to feacesbook and twatter. (as you have guessed im not a fan! lol)
Old Feb 18th 2016, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's a great idea, so good, in fact, that someone else has already created an app for that.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/
YES ! Create a new and popular phone app !!! ?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are lots of similar personal concierge services in the UK, about £15 an hour seems to be the going rate here. Or a private PA will usually do all that as part of the job too, salary up to £100k a year though!
Yup.

Lamin, where do you live? Have a look at/for "personal concierge" services in your area.

It's not a bad idea, per se. You need to find out whether these services are already being offered in your neck of the woods or not, & whether/how much potential users would pay.

You might find that there's already an informal network of providers of various services working together.

Are you up for cleaning/housekeeping? That pays very well in my neck of the woods, even on an ad hoc basis, & can lead to concierge/freelance PA type work.

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 18th 2016 at 6:16 am.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

excellent idea, especially if your travelling distances aren't too lengthy.
can you cook, do basic gardening, steam clean the bathroom, paint walls, regrout, clean windows, ironing, walk dogs, valet cars. ?
Old Feb 19th 2016, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like paying anyone to do something that I am capable of doing myself.

However, in BC (and presumably elsewhere in Canada), people don't seem to be capable of carrying out the following tasks themselves:

Housework
Gardening
Looking after their children (I've seen adverts for people wanting to pay older kids to come and look after their kids)
Putting up and taking down Christmas Lights
Car washing
Painting & Decorating
Any form of DIY
Cooking
Any form of minor electrical or plumbing work (change plug, change a faucet, unblock or change garburator)

Last edited by withabix; Feb 19th 2016 at 9:32 am.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 11:22 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine started doing this a few years ago. He calls himself "Man Friday". He, quite honestly, doesn't have chance to fart as he is so busy. I think he actually employs people now to try and keep up.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Bean I have sent you a PM.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Window cleaning.

Back in the UK there was oversupply - they used to knock and offer to do it.
Here in Ontario I've not seen anybody doing it (presumably more people do it themselves)
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enak
Window cleaning.

Back in the UK there was oversupply - they used to knock and offer to do it.
Here in Ontario I've not seen anybody doing it (presumably more people do it themselves)
I noticed no-one in Calgary doing it themselves, I just figured there was probably a By-Law against it, like everything else in this place
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

enak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond reputeenak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
I noticed no-one in Calgary doing it themselves, I just figured there was probably a By-Law against it, like everything else in this place
Heh! Where we are there seems to be a by-law preventing people from putting lids on their rubbish or using nice European wheelie-bins to keep it from blowing over everyone's lawns. But I digress... Perhaps OP could make money following the bin lorry and collecting all the rubbish they leave behind. I reckon my street would pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.