Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

My wife and I must be journeyperson carpenters by default. Every carpentry job we do seems to involved several journeys to Home Depot. Mainly to exchange the wrong bits for the right bits. The knobs for the new doors on our kitchen cabinets took four goes.

Now that it's getting warmer, there will be many more trips.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:54 pm
AKA Badger

rod burner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mels123
Thanks everyone. We had never heard of the term Journeyman before. Like someone else said we know it as 'Timeserved Joiner'.

I thought I had better find out before he applied for jobs in Canada. He has worked in the construction industry for over 10 years and never heard that term used before in the UK.

Will his carpentry certificates not be recognised in Canada? If he has to sit tests, can they be done here in England?

Thanks again

Mel

Hi Mel
No you can only do the exams in canada.I went to Calgary last November to sit my journeyman welding exams,there is a written and practical exam to pass.
Your husband may enter into the equivalency program,but they may say that your husband has all the qualifications so he will have no problem passing our exams .
Good luck.
Dave.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rod burner
Hi Mel
No you can only do the exams in canada.I went to Calgary last November to sit my journeyman welding exams,there is a written and practical exam to pass.
Your husband may enter into the equivalency program,but they may say that your husband has all the qualifications so he will have no problem passing our exams .
Good luck.
Dave.
Thanks for this information. He does have the CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) Gold card to prove his skills and exams passed, but I hope that is enough to prove his trade.

He has got a favourable reply from a cribbing and framing company in Calgary. Just need to know if they are willing to take him on via a work permit. Fingers crossed! We have decided to go out on a research trip to Calgary and then down to Vancouver. If he has to sit an exam, he could do it then I suppose.

Thanks again
Mel
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:04 pm
AKA Badger

Thanks for this information. He does have the CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) Gold card to prove his skills and exams passed, but I hope that is enough to prove his trade.

He has got a favourable reply from a cribbing and framing company in Calgary. Just need to know if they are willing to take him on via a work permit. Fingers crossed! We have decided to go out on a research trip to Calgary and then down to Vancouver. If he has to sit an exam, he could do it then I suppose.

Thanks again
Mel
Hi again mel
I have the cscs gold card this a health and safety exam so you can work on large building sites in the uk,and canadians will not reconise this .
To work in alberta your husband will have to have the journeyman certificate.If you are going out there speek to alberta training to book the exams in advance.
Sorry dont know about trade regulations in BC
Fill free to ask any more questions.
Dave.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Funny how times change I guess. I learned what a journeyman is/was before I left England in 1963.

Reference from Tiscali UK website.

So what are they called now?

Cheers
Steve
I learnt about journeymen in high school in the 60's. It is a colonial word used by the English to denote exactly the definite given.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi again mel
I have the cscs gold card this a health and safety exam so you can work on large building sites in the uk,and canadians will not reconise this .
To work in alberta your husband will have to have the journeyman certificate.If you are going out there speek to alberta training to book the exams in advance.
Sorry dont know about trade regulations in BC
Fill free to ask any more questions.
Dave.
Thanks Dave

Is the best route for us to go out to Canada on a research trip and go to as many construction companies/housing companies as possible to find work? (within reason of course)

Is this what you did?

Thanks
Mel
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:23 pm
AKA Badger

Thanks Dave

Is the best route for us to go out to Canada on a research trip and go to as many construction companies/housing companies as possible to find work? (within reason of course)

Is this what you did?

Thanks
Mel
Hi mel
Good idea
I managed to get a job by contacting companys here from the UK.
Me and my wife went on research trip last april and in nov to do my exams.met my boss for the first time.The company got the job validated for me but only if I passed the journeyman exam.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Riddor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

How did you find the exams, were they difficult or about what you expected?

I will be sitting the plumbing exam and then once I have passed that will be sitting the gas.

Has anyone sat either of these two, and if so what were they like?

Thanks Rid!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:21 pm

As we have a few carpenters on here, perhaps one of you can give me some advice?

I'm in the process of refurbishing our kitchen. Two of the cabinets are about 2 feet deep by 29" high by 6.5" wide. As shelving units they are useless. On my wife's orders I have built two pull-out units. I have bought 20" sliders for the bottom and one side. The instructions are incomprehensible. What's the best way to install them, given that there is no access from the sides and the gap is very narrow?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
As we have a few carpenters on here, perhaps one of you can give me some advice?

I'm in the process of refurbishing our kitchen. Two of the cabinets are about 2 feet deep by 29" high by 6.5" wide. As shelving units they are useless. On my wife's orders I have built two pull-out units. I have bought 20" sliders for the bottom and one side. The instructions are incomprehensible. What's the best way to install them, given that there is no access from the sides and the gap is very narrow?

I'm not a carpenter, but a bodger, but heres my two cents worth

How are the rails you bought normally fixed on to the cabinet walls, do you have to extend the slide and then put a screw through holes in to the cabinet wall, or is their a flange on the static portion of the rail that you would normally screw through. If it is the second case you could drill right thought the walls from the cabinets adjacent to the gap and then use nuts and bolts to attach the rails, you may want to counter bore the holes on the side of the so the bolts do not extend to far into the cabinets, but be careful as kitchen cabinets are generally not made of very thick material and so the counter bore would have to be very shallow or the weight of the shelf might just pull the fixing right through.

Another thought why not use the gap for storing trays or platters and for go the pull out shelf idea all together

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
I'm not a carpenter, but a bodger, but heres my two cents worth

How are the rails you bought normally fixed on to the cabinet walls, do you have to extend the slide and then put a screw through holes in to the cabinet wall, or is their a flange on the static portion of the rail that you would normally screw through. If it is the second case you could drill right thought the walls from the cabinets adjacent to the gap and then use nuts and bolts to attach the rails, you may want to counter bore the holes on the side of the so the bolts do not extend to far into the cabinets, but be careful as kitchen cabinets are generally not made of very thick material and so the counter bore would have to be very shallow or the weight of the shelf might just pull the fixing right through.

Another thought why not use the gap for storing trays or platters and for go the pull out shelf idea all together

Dozzzzy
You could have stopped after the first sentence, you were merely illustrating your point

The sliders have holes in both parts through which screws are fixed. My main problem is getting the things properly aligned. I'm sure that there is an order in which things should be done and I'm hoping that there are some tricks of the trade.

They have been built. They WILL be installed, even if I kill myself in the process (which I came damn close to doing yesterday, with my new hole cutter - I'm never doing that freehand again :scared: ).
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:32 pm
AKA Badger

Originally Posted by Riddor
Hi there,

How did you find the exams, were they difficult or about what you expected?

I will be sitting the plumbing exam and then once I have passed that will be sitting the gas.

Has anyone sat either of these two, and if so what were they like?

Thanks Rid!
Hi Rid
I knew what the practical exam involved so I practiced the test pieces before I went out there,as for the written this was very hard and thought I had failed but luckily I passed.
Good luck.
Dave.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Riddor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rid
I knew what the practical exam involved so I practiced the test pieces before I went out there,as for the written this was very hard and thought I had failed but luckily I passed.
Good luck.
Dave.
Good for you.

I best get my books shipped over soon and start studying big time. :scared:

How did you know what the practical was before hand.

Cheers Rid!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW

I thought a journeyman was man with his own tools, who went from job to job
and MOH thinks a journeyman is a man whos been about a bit and picked up lots of skills.

so i looked up collins dictionary

1) an artisan or craftsman etc who is quaified to work at his trade in the employment of another

2) a competent workman

3) (formerly) a workman hired on a daily wage (C15) from journey in obsolete sense: a days work.

and journeywork is

1) necessary, routine or menial work (rare)

2) the work of a journeyman

and then theres that album by eric clapton
Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:41 pm
AKA Badger

Originally Posted by Riddor
Good for you.

I best get my books shipped over soon and start studying big time. :scared:

How did you know what the practical was before hand.

Cheers Rid!
HI again.
When I booked the practical exam they sent me conformation in it was a short description of what test pieces I had to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.