British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What is a Journeyman Carpenter? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-journeyman-carpenter-363736/)

mels123 Mar 26th 2006 8:15 pm

What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

I have been searching some of the Canadian job pages for my husband. He is a Carpenter, but can anyone explain what a Journeyman Carpenter is? Is it a Foreman, or a carpenter that works away, or something different? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Mel

dentaltech Mar 26th 2006 8:18 pm

Re: What is a Journeyman Carpenter?

Originally Posted by mels123
I have been searching some of the Canadian job pages for my husband. He is a Carpenter, but can anyone explain what a Journeyman Carpenter is? Is it a Foreman, or a carpenter that works away, or something different? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Mel

i would like to know as well as it also appears before some engineers as well , when we have been searching jobs

Rich_007 Mar 26th 2006 8:23 pm

Journeyman = time served tradesperson, having completed all apprenticeship training, with relevant Canadian certification, able to demonstrate all round experience as well as holding qualifications.

Rich.

Steve_P Mar 26th 2006 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dentaltech
i would like to know as well as it also appears before some engineers as well , when we have been searching jobs

This is not a criticism so please don't take it that way.

I find it difficult to believe that someone from the U.K. would not know what a journeyman is.

A journeyman is someone who has served his apprenticeship and is a fully qualified tradesman. For example an electrician, plumber, auto-mechanic, carpenter, etc.

Cheers
Steve

scimdarren Mar 26th 2006 8:38 pm

Then I have been a 'Journeyman' Electrician for 14 years in the UK without realising it! I wonder if it is a colloquial term that is only used in certain regions around the UK?

To add to the original question, you have to pass an exam to be recognised in Canada as a Journeyman (once the apprentice branch have reviewed your foreign credentials and allow you to sit it).

Darren

Originally Posted by Hangman

I find it difficult to believe that someone from the U.K. would not know what a journeyman is.

A journeyman is someone who has served his apprenticeship and is a fully qualified tradesman. For example an electrician, plumber, auto-mechanic, carpenter, etc.

Cheers
Steve

Craftybanshee Mar 26th 2006 8:42 pm

Cheers
Steve

You can have a giggle at me then Steve. I thought a Journeyman was a travelling craftsman :o

Atlantic Xpat Mar 26th 2006 8:45 pm

Though I'm not a journeyman anything other than perhaps a journeyman of questionable DIY skills, its not a term I had heard prior to coming to Canada. I think the use of the term here is more to do with having a recognised interprovincial trade qualification. The papers here are full of ads for journeyman tradesmen needed out West.

Steve_P Mar 26th 2006 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Though I'm not a journeyman anything other than perhaps a journeyman of questionable DIY skills, its not a term I had heard prior to coming to Canada. I think the use of the term here is more to do with having a recognised interprovincial trade qualification. The papers here are full of ads for journeyman tradesmen needed out West.

Funny how times change I guess. I learned what a journeyman is/was before I left England in 1963.

Reference from Tiscali UK website.

So what are they called now? :)

Cheers
Steve

steve of 5-0 Mar 27th 2006 2:10 am

Funny how times change I guess. I learned what a journeyman is/was before I left England in 1963.

Reference from Tiscali UK website.

Cheers
Steve

TIME SERVED.

Steve_P Mar 27th 2006 2:41 am

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
TIME SERVED.

Sounds more like a prison term. :D:D

I think I prefer journeyman. :)

mels123 Mar 27th 2006 5:30 am

Sounds more like a prison term. :D:D

I think I prefer journeyman. :)

Thanks everyone. We had never heard of the term Journeyman before. Like someone else said we know it as 'Timeserved Joiner'.

I thought I had better find out before he applied for jobs in Canada. He has worked in the construction industry for over 10 years and never heard that term used before in the UK.

Will his carpentry certificates not be recognised in Canada? If he has to sit tests, can they be done here in England?

Thanks again

Mel

1066 Mar 27th 2006 5:43 am

Cheers
Steve

"Old gits on the dole".........:)

Gray C Mar 27th 2006 6:42 am

Cheers
Steve

I didn't know either.

dingbat Mar 27th 2006 6:58 am

Thanks everyone. We had never heard of the term Journeyman before. Like someone else said we know it as 'Timeserved Joiner'.

I thought I had better find out before he applied for jobs in Canada. He has worked in the construction industry for over 10 years and never heard that term used before in the UK.

Will his carpentry certificates not be recognised in Canada? If he has to sit tests, can they be done here in England?

Thanks again

Mel

It will depend on the province, the job and the type of "certificates" he has.

wonderwoman Mar 27th 2006 12:06 pm

Mel

Hi, you might find some useful info on this sitetradesecrets.gov.ab.ca

i hope this link works as its the first time i've added a link, apologises if it doesn't !