Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by feelbritish

A house swopping section may be a good idea! Great way to see a place and with accommodation so expensive, might be a thought!
There is one in the classified section already, albeit mostly permanent swaps!

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=13
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:26 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Originally Posted by siouxie
There is one in the classified section already, albeit mostly permanent swaps!

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=13
thanks for that
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta has oil money so they dont pay, not sure about rest of Provinces
Yes we do, as JohnBoyE pointed out though you pay the basic amount (which in Alberta means at a bare minimum you're on the non-group coverage, which costs $762 pa and then $25 max per prescription) and the province picks up the rest.

The only real question is whether your drugs are covered. It's not that onerous really. Yes if you have a chronic condition in the UK then the NHS covers the drug costs, but you pay way more in tax. Even if you're on a low income and pay little income tax, other taxes are lower in Canada as well.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

A house swopping section may be a good idea! Great way to see a place and with accommodation so expensive, might be a thought!
I did think to myself after posting that comment about house-swapping that it WOULD probably be of interest to many people, so we'll keep an eye on that going forward. I have read a lot about it in the past, and there are lots of associations and websites devoted to it (international swaps too!) where you leave the house and car keys for each other, agree to mind any pets etc, (...kids too would be a great idea!) and "just move in"! I'd be game for it!

Throwing the keys in the fruit bowl....that's a different game!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 3:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes we do, as JohnBoyE pointed out though you pay the basic amount (which in Alberta means at a bare minimum you're on the non-group coverage, which costs $762 pa and then $25 max per prescription) and the province picks up the rest.

The only real question is whether your drugs are covered. It's not that onerous really. Yes if you have a chronic condition in the UK then the NHS covers the drug costs, but you pay way more in tax. Even if you're on a low income and pay little income tax, other taxes are lower in Canada as well.
You may pay more tax but the final price differential is minimal, if different at all at the macro level.

The NHS covers all drug costs for a person over 65 (or 60, i forget) anyway. Plus my mum get heating subsidy, free public transport, and pays 150 quid in car insurance including breakdown coverage forher Nissan Micra. You don't get that in AB
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The NHS covers all drug costs for a person over 65 (or 60, i forget) anyway. Plus my mum get heating subsidy, free public transport, and pays 150 quid in car insurance including breakdown coverage forher Nissan Micra. You don't get that in AB
Those are the type of points I was looking for,...some of which may also apply here in Ireland, ie, things one might not think of "at a gallop" to get to the promised land! HOWEVER, no matter what might be in place now, it doesn't mean they'll still be in place when I (or you) reach the finish line, and if I'm old and blind and can't drive anymore anyway, cheap car insurance suddenly becomes irrelevant.

Plus, where I live,...where there is no public transport....you know yourself, but it's all good debate, eh!

Good points, thanks
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
Those are the type of points I was looking for,...some of which may also apply here in Ireland, ie, things one might not think of "at a gallop" to get to the promised land! HOWEVER, no matter what might be in place now, it doesn't mean they'll still be in place when I (or you) reach the finish line, and if I'm old and blind and can't drive anymore anyway, cheap car insurance suddenly becomes irrelevant.

Plus, where I live,...where there is no public transport....you know yourself, but it's all good debate, eh!

Good points, thanks
In all seriousness, i don't think there's much difference to growing old in the UK or Canada other than the weather hinderance of Canada, and potentially lack of family members to help and comfort when needed.

On the west coast of Canada, it's a none issue on all other points in my opinion.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little public transport in Canada apart from the obvious large cities - we live in a "retirement haven" and if you cannot drive anymore (they are talking about making you take a driving test after 75 every year) you are basically cut off unless you live downtown in a small condo. Unless you have family to look after you! You cannot just get on a bus (free in UK to over 65) or train (special deals for 65) and go for a pleasant day out! No public transport between cities either like in UK. In even the smallest of villages in UK a bus comes around and you have trains going everywhere. Read "Jasper's" notes in the "moving back to UK forum" he is having great fun without a car!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:59 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

There is very little public transport in Canada apart from the obvious large cities - we live in a "retirement haven" and if you cannot drive anymore (they are talking about making you take a driving test after 75 every year) you are basically cut off unless you live downtown in a small condo. Unless you have family to look after you! You cannot just get on a bus (free in UK to over 65) or train (special deals for 65) and go for a pleasant day out! No public transport between cities either like in UK. In even the smallest of villages in UK a bus comes around and you have trains going everywhere. Read "Jasper's" notes in the "moving back to UK forum" he is having great fun without a car!
Isn't this where your kids come in? You've done your part for them, time for them to pay it back, and What's wrong with a condo if it's just too adults?

I concur with the getting people over 75yrs old to take the DT again
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Isn't this where your kids come in? You've done your part for them, time for them to pay it back, and What's wrong with a condo if it's just too adults?

if they live near you! Nothing wrong with condo at all, it is personal I guess, I would hate to be stuck waiting on "Driving miss Daisy" to help me get my stuff or Thrifty's to deliver my food! Unlike Uk where a lot of retirees may have their children near them, in Canada most retirees want to be somewhere quieter, warmer, with like minded people playing lots of golf and most children want to be near jobs and cities - go figure!

When you are 75 make that statement again!
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:22 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

if they live near you! Nothing wrong with condo at all, it is personal I guess, I would hate to be stuck waiting on "Driving miss Daisy" to help me get my stuff or Thrifty's to deliver my food! Unlike Uk where a lot of retirees may have their children near them, in Canada most retirees want to be somewhere quieter, warmer, with like minded people playing lots of golf and most children want to be near jobs and cities - go figure!

When you are 75 make that statement again!
I'll remember that when am downgrading to an adult living town home near a city
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:43 am
Beep

What if your kids do as you did and **** off to another country
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be absolutely wrong to cut someone off from driving in Canada simply because old age had made them incompetent. Accordingly, I think such testing is an invasion of privacy.

My arguments are:

- Canada neither expects nor requires competence from younger drivers, it's acceptable to swap a license from notorious lax jurisdictions for a Canadian one

- Canada is a big country in which it's difficult to get around without a car, accordingly behaviour which would not be acceptable elsewhere, notably drinking at the wheel, is accepted here while it would not be elsewhere

- to say that older people will be subject to testing to see if they can drive well while younger people are indulged in driving badly is discriminatory

I don't want to be stuck behind a Cadillac or Buick but I acknowledge the right of the owner to toodle along banging into the occasional static object.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 3:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it would be absolutely wrong to cut someone off from driving in Canada simply because old age had made them incompetent. Accordingly, I think such testing is an invasion of privacy.

My arguments are:

- Canada neither expects nor requires competence from younger drivers, it's acceptable to swap a license from notorious lax jurisdictions for a Canadian one

- Canada is a big country in which it's difficult to get around without a car, accordingly behaviour which would not be acceptable elsewhere, notably drinking at the wheel, is accepted here while it would not be elsewhere

- to say that older people will be subject to testing to see if they can drive well while younger people are indulged in driving badly is discriminatory

I don't want to be stuck behind a Cadillac or Buick but I acknowledge the right of the owner to toodle along banging into the occasional static object.
Fortunately for the rest of us, you are not a legislator.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 4:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
What if your kids do as you did and **** off to another country
I'll be 70 odd and still running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.