British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-important-considerations-planning-spend-twilight-years-canada-760684/)

oopsbuddy Jun 5th 2012 9:27 am

What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Duiring my time spent learning from everyone on this forum (which is absolutely brilliant - well done everyone for taking the time) I have, from time to time, come across some very important points about things that will affect the slightly more mature ex-pats either living in, or considering moiving to Canada. I have meant to try and consolidate some of them into a list, but never got to do it, but I remember comments such as "Canada is not a retirement-friendly place, eg winters, poor State (read "Federal" or "Provincial") pension provision etc") or "not many people consider the cost of increased medications in Canada when elderly", and so on. I also recall a recent thread from a poster wondering if it was too late to consider moving to Canada in her fifties - I personally don't think it's ever too late to do something you'ver always wanted to do, as long as you've done your homework and are well prepared!

I am not elderly (except to my kids....and now to some of my work colleagues!) as I have only recently turned 50 (that does seem old when I say it though!) but when planning on making such a move (probably to NS eventually) and expecting to see out my days over there, what are the other things that the rose-tinted spectacles don't let you see?

Being away from family is a minor issue for me (but more for the wife) as I expect our kids will also move here, either with us, or shortly afterwards, and I don't realistically expect we will move until both our respective sole surviving parents have "moved on"!

As far as friends are concerned, we do not currently live where I grew up, and most of my old friends now live abroad anyway, so I rarely see them now! I expect to make more friends when I get there! She may miss more of her old friends though, but she's not that close with many of them now either, as we have both lived away for many years too.

But back to the point, what would you list as the most significant issues to be considered about planning to move to and (eventually) retire in Canada? Or, what do you look forward to THE LEAST as you stare down the barrel of your autumnal years? Snowy/icy winters (risk of falls for elderly), inadequate pension provision, prescription costs and healthcare etc are just some of the issues, but with so many severe cutbacks this side of the Atlantic, and with years more of austerity planned and anticipated, I am not overly optimistic about what will be left behind!

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Former Lancastrian Jun 5th 2012 10:42 am

Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

In no particular order
Level of income (pension OAS etc) to maintain a decent lifestyle
Area of Canada that doesnt get too many days of minus 30 C or below
Snow can be handled but shovelling soon wears pretty thin
You decide that you dont need to eat cheese as often as you used to
Once reaching 70 can you afford travel insurance if taking extended breaks

Tangram Jun 5th 2012 11:46 am

Re: What important considerations for planning to spend twilight years in Canada?

Before CM comes along I will suggest a visa route be a first consideration.

Aviator Jun 5th 2012 1:52 pm

You should make sure you qualify for immigration and if your kids are over 22, they would need to independently qualify, unless dependent on you (ie in full time education).

Unless you and your kids are already Canadian, I suggest trying this before making too many plans
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Tangram Jun 5th 2012 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10101216)
You should make sure you qualify for immigration and if your kids are over 22, they would need to independently qualify, unless dependent on you (ie in full time education).

Unless you and your kids are already Canadian, I suggest trying this before making too many plans
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

Thanks. I couldn't remember the link to add in my post #3.

oopsbuddy Jun 5th 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 10100987)
Before CM comes along I will suggest a visa route be a first consideration.

Immigration is not an issue for us, we all have citizenship (or spousal PR in the pipeline for herself) but thanks. This was just an opener for anyone to add anything that, perhaps from personal experience, might colour any decision to move to Canada in later life, when it is likely that it will be the FINAL move, rather than in 20's or 30's with a full career and child-rearing years still ahead. Is it "No country for old men (or women)"? I couldn't imagine wintering in Florida!!

el_richo Jun 5th 2012 4:16 pm

It all depends where you're moving to. Vancouver and the island are perfectly fine for weather through the year when compared to much of the country. Plus you have California a few hrs away if needed.

My main hesitation of growing old here is the cost of potential meds and distance from family. When old age catches up with you and international travel becomes difficult or impossible, you have to accept you may never see family again. If your children don't move to Canada, will you be comfortable knowing you may only see them a handful of times in your later years, and/or you will miss out on grandchildren?

I would personally not want to age anywhere other than the west coast, within Canada.

Siouxie Jun 5th 2012 4:26 pm

There is a nifty calculator available to determine what your approximate income could be at retirement: https://srv111.services.gc.ca/INT_01.aspx

:)

oopsbuddy Jun 5th 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 10101532)
It all depends where you're moving to. Vancouver and the island are perfectly fine for weather through the year when compared to much of the country. Plus you have California a few hrs away if needed.

My main hesitation of growing old here is the cost of potential meds and distance from family. When old age catches up with you and international travel becomes difficult or impossible, you have to accept you may never see family again. If your children don't move to Canada, will you be comfortable knowing you may only see them a handful of times in your later years, and/or you will miss out on grandchildren?

I would personally not want to age anywhere other than the west coast, within Canada.

I hear you, El Richo, and for many reasons I figured NS would be a good fit for us too. As close as possible to "home", for as long as that was necessary or useful, plus the climate (although cold) seems to be not as harsh in winter as say central Canada.

Apart from the West Coast (read BC/Van) being definitely more (or possibly too) expensive for us to settle, I had long discussions years ago with friends who had lived in Vancouver...but who then moved to NS before moving home, and of the two places, they would only consider moving back to NS if returning to Canada. So for me, I'm trying only to focus on the Maritimes for affordability, proximity, etc. We did visit NS and PEI a few years ago, but it just wasn't the right time for us to move then. Now, with the Eurozone in meltdown, and the Irish economy in particular looking like it's in the sh***er for generations to come, ...I'm outta here!! I didn't borrow millions for speculative investments, and I don't see why I should have to spend my remaining years being taxed to death to bail out the banks that lent the millions

As far as seeing kids and grandkids is concerned, at the moment it seems more like our kids will also settle in Canada (at least that's the way it looks now) so for us NOT to settle there would present all the problems you mentioned.

Thanks for your comments, it does help put issues in perspective.

oopsbuddy Jun 5th 2012 9:21 pm

Reading back on m,y earlier posts, you'd think I was in my dotage, but I'm really just a delinquent teenager still, but so many years have passed without me noticing!!

feelbritish Jun 5th 2012 9:38 pm

I would say that make sure your present life is really bad to move! As said before, health costs of meds is big and you need a big pension in Canadian dollars. Retiring here as the poor relative amongst other Canadians who have great pensions plus full government pensions, CPP etc is not fun! The exchange rate is not in favour with you either and may never go back to the 2/1 ratio. Sounds like you are in Ireland? Because we did not see much Austerity in England! From our calculations (that is for next 5 years) England would give us a better quality of life. Now my hubby is also on-board! We have been told by quite a few Canadians born and bred when we were considering Nova Scotia as a retirement place because of cheap house prices (one of them lived there for years) that they don't really like "outsiders" much. Only heresay though. Even though Canada still has the Queen as its Head of State, it is very un-British! Getting more like USA, but maybe that is what you would prefer? My advice is to not burn your bridges, and have lots of holidays first in all seasons!

Atlantic Xpat Jun 6th 2012 12:14 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10102199)
Retiring here as the poor relative amongst other Canadians who have great pensions plus full government pensions, CPP etc is not fun! !

Undoubtedly, having a lesser retirement income than your peers, neighbours & friends is no fun. But do the majority of Canadians have great pensions? Some of the boomers are fortunate but IMHO increasingly we will see people retiring with little or no pension, or an underperforming RRSP. The days of final salary schemes are pretty much dead outside of government work. In this respect, I don't believe Canada is markedly different than the UK.

ann m Jun 6th 2012 12:47 am

Make sure you have enough money to pay someone to shovel your driveway, or live in a condo where driveways and lawns are dealt with for you. :)

Steve_ Jun 6th 2012 1:20 am

I don't quite get the comments about prescriptions, you've got to bear in mind taxes in BC and Alberta and much of the rest of Canada are much lower than in the UK and prescription costs aren't that big of a deal. Speaking as someone who is quite unhealthy.

Steve_ Jun 6th 2012 1:22 am

The Okanogan seems to be the de rigeur place to retire to in Canada, Vancouver Island if you can afford it.