Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough
Default what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

just got back from a 3 month trip ...

missed baked beans to go with canadian bacon ( if i told anyone i paid a £ a tin in halifax )
worth it at the time though

got 10 tins in the cupboard now ....and guess what .......... still got 10 tins

mushy peas.......

henderson's relish (it's a sheffield thing ) like lea & perrin's ( slightly )
took over 1 bottle , but will have to take more next time !!!!

my aunt has been in canada 61 years now and all she wants when she comes over is fresh potted meat on a fresh oven bottom bread cake ( that's like a meat paste )

what would you eat , if you could have it right now ???

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:52 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

Don't be fooled, you can get Lea and Perrins at any old supermarket over here. I was severley embarrassed about the two large bottles I brought over when I discovered this...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

We're off in a week.
Sooo what would you advise bringing out food wise that you just can't get anywhere in Canada

Robinsons juice?
Bovril?
Marmite?
English mustard?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough

not sure on the juice side

but deff marmite / bovril any sobey's , you can get that
pretty sure about mustard too

have a safe journey and a great trip

xox
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Thanks
noticed on our revious trips that kids juice was only sold diluted and most of that was cranberry.

Originally Posted by louisbourg
not sure on the juice side

but deff marmite / bovril any sobey's , you can get that
pretty sure about mustard too

have a safe journey and a great trip

xox
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

~*~**~VEGEMITE*~*~* AND MORE ~*~*~VEGEMITE~*~*~* MUM SEND IT NOW~~~
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisbourg
just got back from a 3 month trip ...

missed baked beans to go with canadian bacon ( if i told anyone i paid a £ a tin in halifax ) worth it at the time though got 10 tins in the cupboard now ....and guess what .......... still got 10 tins

mushy peas.......

henderson's relish (it's a sheffield thing ) like lea & perrin's ( slightly )
took over 1 bottle , but will have to take more next time !!!!

my aunt has been in canada 61 years now and all she wants when she comes over is fresh potted meat on a fresh oven bottom bread cake ( that's like a meat paste )

what would you eat , if you could have it right now ???
I find I can get most things now - either from little "British" shops that have popped up, or increasingly in the mainstream supermarkets. There's not much I really miss now - specially when you KNOW you can get a 'hit' (albeit expensive) if you really needed to. Tetley tea bags - thank god I found them, here. Canadian tea is......well, knats pee doesn't come close...lol Marmite and Vegemite are found on the supermarket shelves, and Robertsons Jam. Seen most of what's mentioned here I think. Heinz Baked beans taste nothing like the English version, though.

Oh - just thought of one thing - Bacon as I knew it from home - nice back bacon, it's all 'streaky' here except for "Canadian back bacon", but again, not the same You soon get over it though....
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

My relations always ask for Haggis, Black pudding, Lees Snowballs and Dairy milk.
Yes they can get them over in BC, but they're immitations and taste COMPLETELY different.
Hows the Brown Sauce over there?
OH, and I LOOOOVE the different varieties of Coffee in Canada (Vanilla, amaretto and Hazelnut being my favs)!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

cheese and onion crisps
horlicks

Can you get these in Canada?

Last edited by proo; Apr 27th 2005 at 10:31 am.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Not British but I've never seen a hot pretzel in Canada. You know, the big Bavarian ones. They sell them in most foodcourts/malls in the US too. If I've not been looking in the right places, someone please tell me.

Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:33 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by proo
cheese and onion crisps
horlicks

Can you get these in Canada?
I haven't seen either of those in the supermarkets but I'm sure that the little British shoppes would have them. I've seen Walkers crisps.

I'm in serious marmite deprivation at the moment. I could get hold of it easily in Ontario but it seems to be unknown in Quebec. I'm tempted to go down to Ottawa to find some but I'm concerned that making a three hour round-trip just to buy a jar of marmite might put me fairly high up on the sad git scale.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

That is correct about squash. I did a thread on this about 3 months ago. With saying that, I did manage to find one bottle of Robinsons orange in a store in Brantford, although it was not cheap, so I told my daughter it was not available in Canada......I had to tell her the truth when we got home though. She loves the stuff

Originally Posted by mikejw
Thanks
noticed on our revious trips that kids juice was only sold diluted and most of that was cranberry.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Can you get

Cornish pasties
Steak and kidney pies
Marstons Pedigree
Bishops Finger
Old Perculiar
Pimms No 1. Great as a cocktail with Blue Sapphire Gin, lemonade and fruit salad. Mainly Pimms and Gin though

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I haven't seen either of those in the supermarkets but I'm sure that the little British shoppes would have them. I've seen Walkers crisps.

I'm in serious marmite deprivation at the moment. I could get hold of it easily in Ontario but it seems to be unknown in Quebec. I'm tempted to go down to Ottawa to find some but I'm concerned that making a three hour round-trip just to buy a jar of marmite might put me fairly high up on the sad git scale.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:31 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

How about Tunnock's caramel wafers ,millionaire shortbread,barr's irn -bru and yes Lee's snowballs with some proper ice-cream from the local italian. I have a sweet tooth what can I say
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir

Hi
Just to let you know I found marmite in Quebec! A very small jar and pricey but I found it in a health food store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.