Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:43 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what foods .will you ...do you miss ??

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Not British but I've never seen a hot pretzel in Canada.
You can buy them off street venders in Victoria - fresh and hot right out of the oven.... Mmmmmm... Oh thanks a lot Biiiiink!! .... lol...

If you can't find a street vender, most bagel shops make pretzels as well.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gray C
Can you get

Cornish pasties
Steak and kidney pies
Marstons Pedigree
Bishops Finger
Old Perculiar
Pimms No 1. Great as a cocktail with Blue Sapphire Gin, lemonade and fruit salad. Mainly Pimms and Gin though
For the food items, I would say that it depends where you live. Your chances would be quite good in parts of southern Ontario, which has a large Brit population.

As for the booze, the LCBO website does not show any sign of Pimms or OP, although it does include the others. The LCBO does change its product line from time to time, however. Pimms may be a seasonal item (ie July).
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

My mum and dad are coming in a week and i cant wait for my tins of muligatawny soup and nice casserole mixes and Sandwich Spread.

Would really love a nice Boots Sandwich and a cheese and onion pastie and A jam doughnut and sausage rolls!!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by tallperson
Hi
Just to let you know I found marmite in Quebec! A very small jar and pricey but I found it in a health food store.
I would never have thought of looking in a health food store! Come to think of it, I haven't looked in the health food section in supemarkets either.

When's this rain going to stop? I'd got rather used to blue skies every day.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daisymoll
My mum and dad are coming in a week and i cant wait for my tins of muligatawny soup and nice casserole mixes and Sandwich Spread.

Would really love a nice Boots Sandwich and a cheese and onion pastie and A jam doughnut and sausage rolls!!!

Ooooo a cheese and onion pastie....that really does sound good. I would just love an ordinary pastie from a shop in Plymouth...can't recall the name.
Scotch Eggs...oh and the sausage rolls....actually decent sausage would also be nice.
I like those casserole mixes as well also the sauce mixes, so I always have them brought over for me.
Most stores sell Lea and Perrins and also Marmite I have also seen Ribina(sp) in the superstore but it is expensive.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Not British but I've never seen a hot pretzel in Canada. You know, the big Bavarian ones. They sell them in most foodcourts/malls in the US too. If I've not been looking in the right places, someone please tell me.

We had these in Market Mall in Calgary! But you just reminded me - since they 'renovated' I think it's vanished!

And by the way - if you ASK your local supermarket for something, they may surprise you and get it in! I did this in Safeway a while back, just in passing asked if they had something (forget what it was - wasn't THAT important). He said he would get some in within two days!!! Wasn't normal stock or anything, but 'cos I asked, they started stocking it..lol

Marmite and Vegemite are on the shelf in "Real Canadian Superstore" here (I think the same chain is "Loblaws" out east, and I think there is another name they operate under out there, too - escapes me now though. Try asking them for it
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Not British but I've never seen a hot pretzel in Canada. You know, the big Bavarian ones. They sell them in most foodcourts/malls in the US too. If I've not been looking in the right places, someone please tell me.

I had one of those in the Eaton Mall in Toronto, it was hot with melted butter,salt and sesame seeds on and it was deeeeelicious. yumm,yumm
Jo

Also can anyone tell me what peameal bacon is? We saw it on the menu a few times but felt silly asking what it was. There was always a choice of bacon or peameal bacon, bacon was the crispy streaky variety.

Last edited by joelsa; Apr 27th 2005 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:44 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
~*~**~VEGEMITE*~*~* AND MORE ~*~*~VEGEMITE~*~*~* MUM SEND IT NOW~~~

Boo! Boo!
It's just got to be MARMITE

I've got my fingers in my ears so you can't reply
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by joelsa
I had one of those in the Eaton Mall in Toronto, it was hot with melted butter,salt and sesame seeds on and it was deeeeelicious. yumm,yumm
Jo

Also can anyone tell me what peameal bacon is? We saw it on the menu a few times but felt silly asking what it was. There was always a choice of bacon or peameal bacon, bacon was the crispy streaky variety.
Peameal bacon is a bit like a gammon steak, except thinner.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:06 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=louisbourg]just got back from a 3 month trip ...

what would you eat , if you could have it right now ???

My mother in law is asking for red (beef) OXO cubes when we go over. not sure about taking them though as customs are a bit touchy when it comes to small packages wrapped in foil seriously though, you are not allowed to take oxo cubes in with you.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:49 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=andy_sheila]
Originally Posted by louisbourg
just got back from a 3 month trip ...

My mother in law is asking for red (beef) OXO cubes when we go over. not sure about taking them though as customs are a bit touchy when it comes to small packages wrapped in foil seriously though, you are not allowed to take oxo cubes in with you.
Aren't OXO cubes are freely available in Canada? I've seen them around my whole life. Or do these actually tastes different between the two countries?

I friend of mine went as an OXO cube to a Hallowe'en party (wore a box, covered with foil). A cheap, easy and hilarious costume. Recyclable too.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KennyJosie
My relations always ask for Haggis, Black pudding, Lees Snowballs and Dairy milk.
Yes they can get them over in BC, but they're immitations and taste COMPLETELY different.
Hows the Brown Sauce over there?
OH, and I LOOOOVE the different varieties of Coffee in Canada (Vanilla, amaretto and Hazelnut being my favs)!
I buy HP sauce all the time from the supermarket. My son can't live without it!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Aren't OXO cubes are freely available in Canada? I've seen them around my whole life. Or do these actually tastes different between the two countries?

I friend of mine went as an OXO cube to a Hallowe'en party (wore a box, covered with foil). A cheap, easy and hilarious costume. Recyclable too.
Yes you can buy Oxo cubes here and they even sell it in powder form in sachets.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=andy_sheila][QUOTE=louisbourg]just got back from a 3 month trip ...

My mother in law is asking for red (beef) OXO cubes when we go over. not sure about taking them though as customs are a bit touchy when it comes to small packages wrapped in foil seriously though, you are not allowed to take oxo cubes in with you.[/QUOTE

I am sure you can buy oxo cubes in the superstore in Nova Scotia...you can most definetly get them in the powder form. I brought a cute little tin back from UK with me and it was full of oxo cubes...
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:32 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Corky][QUOTE=andy_sheila]
Originally Posted by louisbourg
just got back from a 3 month trip ...

My mother in law is asking for red (beef) OXO cubes when we go over. not sure about taking them though as customs are a bit touchy when it comes to small packages wrapped in foil seriously though, you are not allowed to take oxo cubes in with you.[/QUOTE

I am sure you can buy oxo cubes in the superstore in Nova Scotia...you can most definetly get them in the powder form. I brought a cute little tin back from UK with me and it was full of oxo cubes...
LOL! Corky the OXO cube smuggler
Your secrets safe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.