Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What food stuff do you miss

What food stuff do you miss

Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What food stuff do you miss

Originally Posted by orly
isn't? I thought all UK takeaway food was loaded with MSG...probably why I found it so tasty
"MSG is often suspected of causing health concerns such as flushing, general weakness, and heart palpitations, but studies have produced no evidence linking consumption of moderate amounts of MSG with any serious reactions, and have found no links to short- or long-term health problems . . ."
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:41 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

factor in the fact that food up here in the wildeness costs more cos they have to get it here and yes the one place in town that does marmite is robbing us blind. not helped by my boy mixing it with maggi sauce and making a discusting smelling tar like dipping sauce for crisps, i mean chips.

other than that its what you get used to. im almost used to having scotch pancakes (buttermilk pancakes!) for breakfast with a fatty smear of bacon and hash browns.

on second thoughts i miss bacon. i used to take the fat off, here that is all there is and our local butcher is more adept at moose than pig sadly.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
"MSG is often suspected of causing health concerns such as flushing, general weakness, and heart palpitations, but studies have produced no evidence linking consumption of moderate amounts of MSG with any serious reactions, and have found no links to short- or long-term health problems . . ."
My husband is completely allergic to MSG if he ingests a bit he up chucks immediately.

My mother always made black pudding. Plus something that I loved called chitterlings, which we're pigs intestines, I think. Not had 'em in years but I did like them.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
My husband is completely allergic to MSG if he ingests a bit he up chucks immediately.

My mother always made black pudding. Plus something that I loved called chitterlings, which we're pigs intestines, I think. Not had 'em in years but I did like them.

Northern soul food?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:51 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought of pork pies as more of a summer type food. A nice mince beef and onion pie and chips would have been better.
That would be nice too. With some peas though.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

OMG - make your own!! Get a bucket of blood, add flour or something until it congeals, then fry it. And as you eat it, talk like Brian Clough while waiting for your heart attack. Done!!!
Ha Ha Ha done!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

Scotch eggs and ginster cornish pasties
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahloo
Scotch eggs and ginster cornish pasties
Ginsters now make Beef Madras pasties , not sure whether that's good or bad but would like to try one .
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Ginsters now make Beef Madras pasties , not sure whether that's good or bad but would like to try one .
The idea of an Indian style beef anything just seems horribly wrong.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The idea of an Indian style beef anything just seems horribly wrong.
Never had a beef curry?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

oh yeh i would like to try the beef madras pastie mmmm we are lucky enough to have a irish/scottish/british store nearby so we can get alot of things and loblaws and sobeys are good for salad cream, branston pickle mmm,
i miss a good fish and chips on a fri night or a good dona keba mmmm ok now im feeling hungry again !!!!!!!!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Northern soul food?

Most assuredly!....Now that my taste buds have had the dust blown off them, and have been poked by the haggis thread over on the Maple Leaf....Faggots! What I wouldn't give for a couple off faggots, mashed potatoes, savoy cabbage and some lovely gravy!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Never had a beef curry?
Is it authentic Indian though?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There's more than Hindus in India.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:42 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
most Indian takeaways do beef curry that i have been to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.