Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:42 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Originally Posted by printer
I pulled away a bit quick and noticed the hound in the rear of the truck nearly fell out and whilst looking in that direction i spilled my coffee on the poodle sitting on my lap. He then yelped and bit my other hand, the one holding the cell phone, and this shot out of my hand and knocked over my box of Timbits. It was whilst trying to retrieve the Timbits from the footwell of my lifted Mega Cab that i accidently swerved across the highway.
Just as you were simultaneously retrieving your stash, changing the track on your Ipod, and just after you had flipped that stoned kid on the BMX who wasn't wearing a helmet and was crossing three lanes of traffic.

Yep - another day in K-Town. Right on.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Just as you were simultaneously retrieving your stash, changing the track on your Ipod,
iPod? Have they reached the Okanagan yet?

I would have thought it would have been changing the track on an eight track.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:47 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

I would have thought it would have been changing the track on an eight track.
Probably one like this :-

Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes. We is sophisticated, innit.

We has botox, an micro-handbag dogs, an facelifts, an fake Burberry, an a cell phone, an a shiny new SUV that we do not drive in the bush, an a nice shiny coffee maker from Sears. We is posh, ya!!!

R.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:25 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I don't like that the the snow that falls on my drive and front steps doesn't automatically melt.

My other big gripe - Why do they show the same advert in the same advert break? Sometimes just directly after, so you get the same advert twice in a row??? Why???? What's the point??
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
Personally, I don't like that the the snow that falls on my drive and front steps doesn't automatically melt.

That could be arranged for a price.

My other big gripe - Why do they show the same advert in the same advert break? Sometimes just directly after, so you get the same advert twice in a row??? Why???? What's the point??
That one no-one but the advertisers themselves seems to understand.

But I'd love to shoot the idiot that came up the idea.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's about money. I worked on a system to schedule adverts for a TV channel, CBC? CTV? Dunno but it had a C in it. Anyway, specifically placed spots cost the most, a package of n minutes costs less (all by time bands) and there are packages in between e.g. n minutes between 7 and 9 with 2 seconds during CSI. The time not sold goes to the "bottom feeders" typically Proctor and Gamble or the government, who'll take any time at minimum rates. Time even they won't take goes to trailers, puffs for the news and the like. If a station has a 1 minute slot unscheduled and the only buyer left is a bottom feeder then they show that firm's 15 second advert. If the firm only has one advert then that advert shows twice, sometimes three times, in a row.

It's not as scientific as that. In fact everything related to the TV stations is a bit rubbish, but that's the general idea. Show as many adverts as you can sell and fit the minimum amount of programming around it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's about money. I worked on a system to schedule adverts for a TV channel, CBC? CTV? Dunno but it had a C in it. Anyway, specifically placed spots cost the most, a package of n minutes costs less (all by time bands) and there are packages in between e.g. n minutes between 7 and 9 with 2 seconds during CSI. The time not sold goes to the "bottom feeders" typically Proctor and Gamble or the government, who'll take any time at minimum rates. Time even they won't take goes to trailers, puffs for the news and the like. If a station has a 1 minute slot unscheduled and the only buyer left is a bottom feeder then they show that firm's 15 second advert. If the firm only has one advert then that advert shows twice, sometimes three times, in a row.

It's not as scientific as that. In fact everything related to the TV stations is a bit rubbish, but that's the general idea. Show as many adverts as you can sell and fit the minimum amount of programming around it.
I thought as much! Thanks for the inside info! Do advertisers never consider negative sentiment? I.e., by interrupting a good show with a crap ad, they're as likely to alienate the potential customer as attract him? Those that repeat twice or more in the same break are prime targets, as are those that make ads that look like the curry house adverts you (used) to get in program intermissions at the Cinema (which applies to a lot of them over here )
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:00 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by geedee
Do advertisers never consider negative sentiment? I.e., by interrupting a good show with a crap ad, they're as likely to alienate the potential customer as attract him?
No. They've barely got past Marketing 101 in Canada. It's not quite as evolved as elsewhere; people still make a handsome living from selling ghastly, overpriced, elephant-sized vacuums door-2-door.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Fussy Brits, so uptight about so many things. Always trying to tell everyone what's wrong.

Chill the hell out.

R.
When asked a question about what you don't like about something did you not expect responses to include what a person doesn’t like about that something? And, as you respond only to negative things (don't like) and not the positive (do like), I guess you need to seriously consider who should chill out – look in a mirror and face up to what you see dude.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:10 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

That could be arranged for a price.
Ooooh - how much and how do they do it?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by macmike41
When asked a question about what you don't like about something did you not expect responses to include what a person doesn’t like about that something? And, as you respond only to negative things (don't like) and not the positive (do like), I guess you need to seriously consider who should chill out – look in a mirror and face up to what you see dude.
Oh I think there might be a little bit more to Rich's comment.

Some made comments about how Canadians don't like to be told that there are better ways of doing things, which can be true.

But also some Canadians get a little tired of hearing if it aint British it aint any good from some of us imports.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:13 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

Originally Posted by dbd33

Cheers for that - it's been bugging me for ages, at least now I know there is a reason behind it.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:14 pm

Ooooh - how much and how do they do it?
Don't know how much...likely extremely expensive hence the comment "for a price".

Poured concrete with built in heating, usually hot water pipes similar to heated floors.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:17 pm
Lotus-eater

Oh I think there might be a little bit more to Rich's comment.

Some made comments about how Canadians don't like to be told that there are better ways of doing things, which can be true.

But also some Canadians get a little tired of hearing if it aint British it aint any good from some of us imports.
indeed

It's like the old one about the waitress going up to the British couple asking them "is anything alright with your meal"

Les fussy Brits, quelle true, innit.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.