Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

would be interesting to compare any responses to those on this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565638
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:14 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Originally Posted by montreal mike

1) Crap TV
2) Snow ploughs waking me up at 4am
3) Crap TV
4) Extortionate internal air fare cost, $750 to get to Toronto from Vancouver.
5) Crap TV

That's about it.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

I've bored you all with this before - sorry - but my pet gripe is driving standards. That, with poorly maintained roads, idiots driving winter "beaters" like they are invincible...

Oh, that and Crap TV.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:23 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

* Having to mow a piece of grass that would have been done by the council in the UK i.e. is part of the pavement, just happens to be next to my house...

* Price of beer/alcohol/cheese/dairy products

For the record, I don't think the TV here is that bad, but it needs targeted viewing i.e. work out what you're going to watch and when, channel surfing is futile.... A PVR works best for advert skipping...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
For the record, I don't think the TV here is that bad, but it needs targeted viewing i.e. work out what you're going to watch and when,
I agree...though weekends could do with some improvement. And what's with all this 'worthy' stuff on CBC? On the other hand the decent stuff is mainly American - Life, The Mentalist, various CSIs.

The Border and Da Vinci's Inquest/City Hall are great Canadian productions.

High prescription costs in NB. No controls on property tax levels following re-assessments...again, that's also an NB thing.

Having to pay for school supplies at the beginning of each year and paying for 'agendas' too. Is it balanced by free school buses?

No accountability when government depts show incompetence.

No mail on weekends.

Fussy mail rules - especially buying stamps from a government agency and having to pay tax on them separately, even though the taxes go to the government and people obviously have to be employed to do all the needless accounting involved.

Lack of political alternatives.

Last edited by BristolUK; Oct 12th 2008 at 3:22 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:24 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

That's the beauty of coming from Swaziland.

Just about everything in Canada is wonderful.

Canada's Queen is wonderful. She sure beats that spoiled brat King of Swaziland.

Canadian roads are wonderful.

Canadian TV is wonderful.

Canadian drivers have been sent from heaven.

Canadian schools are wonderful. (There is no free education in Swaziland. Children have to pay tuition, buy their books, and walk to school -- many miles in some cases. Even if they attend government-run schools.)

Life expectancy in Canada is wonderful (80.4 years versus Swaziland's 33.2 years).

Really about the only thing I could do without is that four season nonsense. And I've partially escaped that by moving to Vancouver Island.
x
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Canada's Queen is wonderful. She sure beats that spoiled brat King of Swaziland.
Just for a minute I thought you were going to say Canada's Queen was better than the UK Queen.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:05 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Not much I don't like really, but here's a few:

1. junk recorded message phone calls
2. lack of organic food in supermarkets
3. lack of fresh fruit smoothies in cafés
4. Rogers wireless
5. The bad driving (not that it's worse than Belgium...)
6. School board rigidity and not being able to choose your school
7. Only subsidising SOME daycare places and not others (who dreamt this system up)?

But here I'm being picky - there's an awful lot I do like.

Last edited by Canada2006; Oct 12th 2008 at 4:09 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:18 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Canada2006
You're kidding.
There's plenty in the supermarkets here. And you're in Montreal
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

But here I'm being picky - there's an awful lot I do like.
My local Loblaws just down the street has lots of the stuff which i don't care for at inflated prices; 'regular' food is expensive enough as it is.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:40 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You're kidding.
There's plenty in the supermarkets here. And you're in Montreal
Seriously - it's like Europe 15 years ago - I honestly didn't expect that. If you go to IGA (Sobeys) or Metro, which are upscale supermarkets, you'll get maybe a metre of organic stuff, the rest is conventional.

When we left Europe 2 months ago you couldn't buy organic on Fridays, it had all sold out - really popular. So I'm confused too about why there is so little in the supermarkets here. I think that people here are very ecological - concerned with the environment and growing organic because it's good for the environment, but not eating organic because it's good for their health.... I've still a lot of things to figure out
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:43 am
C'est correck

My local Loblaws just down the street has lots of the stuff which i don't care for at inflated prices; 'regular' food is expensive enough as it is.
We tried Loblaws and didn't really like it much, to be honest, we found IGA and metro to be better. As we like organic we tend to shop at Tau in Brossard - it's pretty reasonable and I've noticed a few things there that are cheaper than conventional products at IGA.

Rachelle-Berry isn't bad but I found it really quite expensive compared to Tau. There's also a Tau in St Leonard and Rue Saint-Denis.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

It's a foreign country, no one understands you, there aren't any English supermarkets, chicken and cheese are only affordable to the millionaire set and the TV really is CRAP! Oh and it snows for months on end.

Seriously though i have to say the standard of driving here in Kelowna is absolutely awful. Intersections on highways that do not have left turn filter lights are regular scenes of accidents as drivers here seem unable to judge the speed of oncoming cars. Pulling out in front of you is another extremely common bad habit and constant lane changing to try and get in front of everybody and anybody.
On the plus side no one seems to care so there is very little actual road rage, in fact i don't think i've ever heard a car horn honked in anger and the only guy i ever saw give the finger to someone was about 100.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously - it's like Europe 15 years ago - I honestly didn't expect that. If you go to IGA (Sobeys) or Metro, which are upscale supermarkets, you'll get maybe a metre of organic stuff, the rest is conventional.
I think it's safe to say that organic grocery shopping greatly varies across the country. What you are experiencing in Montreal is not what I've been experiencing in Vancouver. Vancouver has a lot of organic produce in the stores and many deluxe grocery stores that seem to only focus on organic food (like Choices Market, Capers, etc). It also helps that there's a longer growing season and more of an organic foods awareness in this part of the country than what I've seen elsewhere. However, this appears to be catching on elsewhere in the country.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

TV is pretty poor here- however if you like CSI, you'll probably think TV is great as you can pretty much watch it 24/7.
The amount of commercials is a pain- you get commercials as soon as the opening theme song has finished.
(ignore the smiley- my 2yr old daughter wanted me to use it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.