Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:52 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What don’t / didn’t you like about Canada?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There is a beautiful example of that in St Hubert (QC). An off-ramp with a sharp bend comes about 50 yards after an on-ramp. Cars wanting to come off have to slow down and cut in front of cars trying to speed up. It's a gem.
There's a good one too in Longueuil approaching Jacques-Cartier bridge from Boucherville - can be scary if there's a long queue to get on the bridge

And don't even mention trying to figure out how to get on the bridge if coming from Longueuil itself - nightmare even with sat nav.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:53 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"A dude"? Not me then china.
Oh come now you're not still all stiff upper lip public school Mockney ?

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:56 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
If you really havent figured it out, the one WITHOUT an octagonal stop sign is the one with the right of way....

But I agree, things would be better without three ways. A roundabout is a much better answer to the 4 way stop if there is room. Lord know how much gas is wasted doing the stop/ go thing.
In Québec they usually have signs telling you which roads have a stop sign or not.

My experience here of roundabouts (they seem to be building more and more) has been a bit dodgy - cars don't always stop when they enter one and you end up slamming the breaks on. Be careful on them some people don't know how they work as there are so few of them!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
public school Mockney ?
Absolutely not, to say so is balderdash, piffle and tripe.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:58 pm
C'est correck

When I'm not cruising in costume, I watch dvds from www.zip.ca. I can't be bothered researching when a show is going to be on and which channel it's on so as to capture it; I'd rather just rent the dvd and watch the whole season.
We buy them as we don't know when we'll have the opportunity to watch. We try to keep the kids away from TV so it's very rarely on. And with all these elections at the moment there is more than enough to keep us occupied
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
We buy them as we don't know when we'll have the opportunity to watch.
That's addressed by the subscription service, the charge is for having n disks, not for the time that you have them. We currently have a disk we rented when there was last snow on the ground, when we get around to watching it we'll return it and they'll send another.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:44 pm
C'est correck

That's addressed by the subscription service, the charge is for having n disks, not for the time that you have them. We currently have a disk we rented when there was last snow on the ground, when we get around to watching it we'll return it and they'll send another.
Interesting - I'll take a look at that - thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely not, to say so is balderdash, piffle and tripe.

OK old bean you sound like a good sort so I trust your judgement.

R.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

doomie is an unknown quantity at this point

Took me a while:
  1. Cell phone companies. Daylight robbery, horrible service
  2. Expensive internet ($40-50 for high-speed cable internet!)
  3. Taxes not included in the listed price (except at the SAQ )
  4. Cycling network is not on par with Europe
  5. Fruits have no taste (compared to what I'm eating now in California)
  6. Boring politics (unless you count the Quebec independence movement)

This is kinda about Montreal, mostly. On the other hand, I could spend a day raving about the stuff that I like about Canada and Montreal specifically . There's simply no comparison between the life that I'm having in Quebec and the one that I had while in my 'beloved' home country (most Brits think they can beat me at tennis when I tell them where I'm from . How's that for an obscure reference?)
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

MAN2YKF is an unknown quantity at this point

1 - Cell phone companies
2 - Crap TV
3 - Bell & Rogers
4 - Toronto
5 - BBC Canada

The dam CRTC with it's rules of home content.
BBC Canada should mean BBC, oh no though!, most of the day is filled with Canadian made programming that would not see the light of day in the UK.
The other day i saw a show made by ROGERS! about Toronto Greek restaurant.
I am positive BBC America gets far more British shows.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

dejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the roughdejah is a jewel in the rough

As a former USAian driver (with a commercial license) who relearned to drive in the UK, I'll attest that UK drivers are vastly superior to the North American variety. I'm lumping Canadians in with 'mericans because from what I've seen in my (admittedly few) visits to Canada they are the same. UK drivers pay attention (most of the time) and they are polite (most of the time) North Americans are too busy drinking their supersized coffee/soda - talking on their cell - yelling at the kids in the back - singing along with the country music - and making sure they get there first to worry about what's happening on the roads. Even my German relatives remarked on how competent and polite UK drivers are.
And that driving test was HARD! (compared to the one in the USA that I took a few hundred years ago) Taking it on the wrong side of the road didn't help either.

I'll contribute any other dislikes when we finally get to Canada.