Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had done before you landed?

What do you wish you had done before you landed?

Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:52 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you wish you had done before you landed?

Photos, and lots of them.

After 2 years it would be nice to look at the old house, the road where I lived the hills and glens I lived near, the clyde over looking Greenock.

The kids school that they went two, the hill that they had to climb every day to school, all the little things that you can look back on in life and just say REMEMBER your school, the big hill you had to climb, the view from the kitchen window..ect ect..

Memorys
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sutherlands

Memorys
Yes, although I still haven't learnt when Oliver was a baby we used to take loads of video and pisture, and now we never bother... but I love to see just the every day stuff from when he was little.

Thanks for reminding me again I need to do more of that
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Mmm, I wish that I could've foresaw into our future and realise that our Canadian dream would, after 5 years, turn to sh#t and we'd be on the bones of our arse
Do you think there was anything you could have done before hand that would have avoided your current situation? ie different research, trips, soul searching etc
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by achanginglife
Do you think there was anything you could have done before hand that would have avoided your current situation? ie different research, trips, soul searching etc
Crap can smack you in the the face anytime anywhere...... We had our fair share when we arrived in Canada - And we're having another crap day today!! There are sooooo many rasons for a turn in luck - and I sincerely hope that everyone can get out of the holes they find themselves in but it takes a huge inner strength to do it.

We generally are doing OK ish now but our eldest daughter is in love and we have just put her on a plane back to the UK where she now intendeds to stay - We are gutted by her decesion!

And then there's the people who stitched us up in the UK over our house sale, when we were here and could do nothing about it, there screwed us over......... They have clearly spent big bucks on the house and it's up for sale again, It's up at 15k more than they paid us for it - They will loose money on it, we don't know why they are selling it but hey, looks like crap happens to the best of people (but I love to know what happend behind those closed doors!!)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Crap can smack you in the the face anytime anywhere...... We had our fair share when we arrived in Canada - And we're having another crap day today!! There are sooooo many rasons for a turn in luck - and I sincerely hope that everyone can get out of the holes they find themselves in but it takes a huge inner strength to do it.

We generally are doing OK ish now but our eldest daughter is in love and we have just put her on a plane back to the UK where she now intendeds to stay - We are gutted by her decesion!
that must be very tough, she is lucky you are able to support her in her decision.

And then there's the people who stitched us up in the UK over our house sale, when we were here and could do nothing about it, there screwed us over......... They have clearly spent big bucks on the house and it's up for sale again, It's up at 15k more than they paid us for it - They will loose money on it, we don't know why they are selling it but hey, looks like crap happens to the best of people (but I love to know what happend behind those closed doors!!)
Don't know the full story, but is it worth all the bitterness? you are here now and generally doing OK. Holding onto that stuff can have such negative effects.

You are right about the inner strength, and I would add the right attitude. Can't control what happens but you can control how you choose to see the situation.

As an example - my brother was killed in a motrbike accident 6 weeks after we landed in Canada, devastating which resulted in me returning to UK 18months afterwards, eventually coped with that and came back to Canada 2 years later. Cost a ton of money, etc. But things are so different here now, I at least was able to say good bye to him, I really appreciate things much better, my son got to know his grandparents much better in that 2 years, I understand what I came here for much more clearly and I am a stronger more grateful person.

Could have been bitter about losing my brother, not spending the last 6 weeks with him, wasting 2 years in UK, losing money moving, and on house price increases here!! oh well I'm glad I am where I am...
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the full story, but is it worth all the bitterness? you are here now and generally doing OK. Holding onto that stuff can have such negative effects.

Naaa I don't really care about them - But a way of saying things change and sometimes it can be so unexpected and out of our control - It can got wrong here, there or anywhere.

Ruby is clearly having a tough time right now and 5 yrs in could not have predicted situations, and one thing leading to another. I just wish everyone well with getting out of their troubles no mater who what or where they happen
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Naaa I don't really care about them - But a way of saying things change and sometimes it can be so unexpected and out of our control - It can got wrong here, there or anywhere.

Ruby is clearly having a tough time right now and 5 yrs in could not have predicted situations, and one thing leading to another. I just wish everyone well with getting out of their troubles no mater who what or where they happen
Here here, the grass may be greener but its still got to rain.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Nope...we did massive research, the trips, etc....even moved to Ontario for a job for the hubby. You'd have to read my posts from my early days on Expats to know the full story of our moves. We bought a house last year when prices were at their peak and Alberta was the Golden-B@ll@x province for fortune. Now, everything has gone quiet, house prices have taken quite a drop, petrol prices made people avoid buying trucks and we can't even off-load our Avalanche because they've depreciated so much. No amount of research could've prepared us on this!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

stan794 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM Ruby
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sutherlands

The kids school that they went two, the hill that they had to climb every day to school, all the little things that you can look back on in life and just say REMEMBER your school, the big hill you had to climb,

Memorys
Aw ,Definatly agree on that one ,drove my Oh mad by visiting all the old family places to take photos and videos he drew the line of accompanying me into Toxteth had to do that one all by myself but came out the other side okay
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I had kissed more English girls!

I left when I was 21.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Where's all my old girlfriends?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:09 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Nope...we did massive research, the trips, etc....even moved to Ontario for a job for the hubby. You'd have to read my posts from my early days on Expats to know the full story of our moves. We bought a house last year when prices were at their peak and Alberta was the Golden-B@ll@x province for fortune. Now, everything has gone quiet, house prices have taken quite a drop, petrol prices made people avoid buying trucks and we can't even off-load our Avalanche because they've depreciated so much. No amount of research could've prepared us on this!
Ruby, things aren't so good in the UK either, my relatives have had a real sh*t kicking with the credit crunch over there. But you just have to make the best of what you have, whichever country you are in - there's no point in doing anything else. However bad it may seem, there is always someone much worse off who would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Having said that, I do hope things get better for you.