Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you wish you had done before you landed?

What do you wish you had done before you landed?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice
Default What do you wish you had done before you landed?

With the benefit of hind sight, its easy to think of things I wish we had done before we arrived, that would have made life so much easier:
1. Got proof of no claims from car insurance companies.
2. Got my dental work up to date.
3. Brought more household items, garden tools, TV, DVD's and videos etc.(??)
4. Not bought a house (some pros and cons to this one)
5. Created a 3 month plan, to not work, for getting settled and familiar with new areas.
6. Been more realistic about what we could afford house-wise.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:52 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you wish you had done before you landed?

Because I had found this website, I can tick all the boxes you listed. This was definitely the best place to get first hand info from people who had made the big move themselves.

My biggest tip, especially for families, is take a container. You may not think so but it will cost you far more than the price of a container to replace everything you built up over the years. Especially take all the little items from your garage (tools, gardening equipment/furniture) and also lots of kitchen equipment right down to your garlic press, cheese grater etc. That way you can leave your savings to buy costlier items like new electricals and vehicle(s).
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:11 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I hadn't listened to the young estate agent and overpriced my house so it didn't sell. Am still stuck with it now. Thanks Fox and Sons.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

This is the sort of stuff I need to get sorted out.
But I cannot at the mo, wife at work and I have to make this place sparkle like a wee palace for her so I will start the list in 5 mins
It is this sort of information that is so helpful to us, who are just starting out on our dream move.
Thanks
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:02 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I wish I hadn't listened to the young estate agent and overpriced my house so it didn't sell. Am still stuck with it now. Thanks Fox and Sons.
yeah we know that one, although we sold, we lost a packet :curse:
don't listen to an estate agent and get what you feel right for the house
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Because I had found this website, I can tick all the boxes you listed. This was definitely the best place to get first hand info from people who had made the big move themselves.

My biggest tip, especially for families, is take a container. You may not think so but it will cost you far more than the price of a container to replace everything you built up over the years. Especially take all the little items from your garage (tools, gardening equipment/furniture) and also lots of kitchen equipment right down to your garlic press, cheese grater etc. That way you can leave your savings to buy costlier items like new electricals and vehicle(s).
I'm liking this advice and it's on my pin board for when we implement our 'move plan'. Just looking around the home office now, this'll take 1/2 a container As for the kitchen drawers, why are they always so full of cutlery and utensils that you can't find the item you need but then you neeeeed all the items. Great advice cheers.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We wish we had brought the sofas from the old house rather than sell them to the guy who bought our house. They weren't great but would have bought us a bit of time at this end rather than rush buying things (outside sale time) to get the new house some-way furnished.

On the flip side...we're glad we did the blog as this has been a fabulous tool for keeping the family and our friends connected with us here. We're glad we got Skype sorted on the computers to allow us to connect easily with folk back home, likewise a Facebook profile. All these things have helped to reduce the sense of distance.

E&J.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:54 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Also another one to add if you havent already done

Get family sorted with webcam, i managed to sort my mum and the kids see here every weekend, my OH family we did not, although they talk on the phone, there is nothing like face to face contact

We love the webcam and its helping the kids settle better
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree re. webcam, etc.

Got my mum kitted out with Macbook (no-brainer with the massive edu discount on applecare!), broadband (perfectly timed 3 dongle 1/2 price offer!) and skype (obviously).

She can now see her granddaughter (age 2) growing up
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:55 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
yeah we know that one, although we sold, we lost a packet :curse:
don't listen to an estate agent and get what you feel right for the house

i'm abit premature on this thread as we're still here in the uk.....but we've just knocked a £100,000.00 off our house......if you say it quick it's not sooo bad.....crickey....:ma d::curse
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
i'm abit premature on this thread as we're still here in the uk.....but we've just knocked a £100,000.00 off our house......if you say it quick it's not sooo bad.....crickey....:ma d::curse
OH DEAR, don't say that! My house is due to go on the market before Dec 1st, I can't afford to lose loads. I am, as we speak, getting a new kitchen installed to make it more attractive to buyers. I am hoping 6 months is enough time to sell and I am literally on my knees praying for the price we need. I'm not asking for a lot am I?

I'm afraid it's not the £100,000 grand back but karma to you anyway
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Yes that's a good one, especially for the older gen! thanks Moondevil!
Originally Posted by moondevil
Also another one to add if you havent already done

Get family sorted with webcam, i managed to sort my mum and the kids see here every weekend, my OH family we did not, although they talk on the phone, there is nothing like face to face contact

We love the webcam and its helping the kids settle better
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
Feeling for everyone with the current housing situation in UK at the moment. This thread has some great ideas about alternatives to selling.. that might be helpful.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=560337&page=9
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
My house is due to go on the market before Dec 1st, I can't afford to lose loads.
It's possibly just a small comfort, but a comfort nonetheless.

The housing market in Canada seems to be slowing too. Get less for your UK home and you may pay less for your new Canadian home than if you were buying it before now.

The £ isn't in freefall anymore either so altogether, the blow may be cushioned.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:20 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
OH DEAR, don't say that! My house is due to go on the market before Dec 1st, I can't afford to lose loads. I am, as we speak, getting a new kitchen installed to make it more attractive to buyers. I am hoping 6 months is enough time to sell and I am literally on my knees praying for the price we need. I'm not asking for a lot am I?

I'm afraid it's not the £100,000 grand back but karma to you anyway
hi summer-caitlin....so love your name! i want another baby so that i can call it summer-caitlin!!!!

it's such an awful time at the mo but i can only wish you very good luck, back at you.....we have done the same, new kitchen, new flooring nearly every where, new paint on the whole outside of the house, new drive......we will have still made money on the house overall, if we sell at this new price (got viewing tomorrow) but it's getting tight.....fingers crossed...

why are you waiting until dec?....and hermione says 'hi' and looking forward to seeing you at capilano.....x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.