Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

Originally Posted by cityhog
S. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities in the US, vying with Detroit and DC every year for the top honor.
That's East Saint Louis. Another city, in another state.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
All right, right next to S. Louis!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

98% of E S. Louis population is black and half of S. Louis pop is black and so they cross the river and visit their friends quite often, I guess.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

98% of E S. Louis population is black and half of S. Louis pop is black and so they cross the river and visit their friends quite often, I guess.
Because all Black people know each other?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because all Black people know each other?
Nah, these ghetto bros are tight-knit as they have this "us against the world" mentality.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Much of St. Louis isn't actually shangri-la. I was there a few years ago and the attached image seemed pretty typical of much of north St. Louis. As is typical of many big US cities, it can quickly go from the squallor to opulence in a few blocks

http://goo.gl/maps/gw1o

East St Louis is another story...the Google Street View car driver didn't wander too much there.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

Nah, these ghetto bros are tight-knit as they have this "us against the world" mentality.
Which would really be a general American attitude.

Saint Louis wasn't that bad, we lived in nice areas. Never got robbed, beaten up, mugged, or had friends killed, while in Saint Louis (all things that I have had happen in other countries).
We did live in the Central West End for a bit. That is an area where if you go 2mins to far you can be in trouble.
My mum volunteers for a battered womens organization (they also help dress children so they have cloths to wear for school). She ends up going to some interesting areas to help, however has never had a problem. Perhaps they are always in shock at the white lady with a funny accent driving an old C230 Merc in their area they don't know what to do.
When I went to middle school they started busing a lot of the inter-city kids out to our school. So I believe that one kid brought a gun, and got caught with it. I did see one fight which was scary as the kids had knuckle dusters on.

A lot different than boarding school in Rutland.

So far off the subject of Canada...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:05 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at a homicide conferrence in Vancouver some years ago and I remember that the East St Louis murder rate was higher than Metro Vancouver (around 80 -90 murders a year for a population of 2.4 million - lower than greater manchester) vs 100 murders a year for east st louis - population (according to wiki is around 32,000).

Baltimore was also particularly bad - Vancouver proper is about the same size - around 600,000 vancouver has about 20 murders a year - baltimore around 500.

And some actually think we have a major crime problem in Vancouver - even the much decried dtes as depressing as it is, is not overly violent

I can also tell you that when a city has that many murders, they don't get more than about a day's attention till they go on the unsolved shelf.

Last edited by dboy; Jul 16th 2010 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
Which would really be a general American attitude.

Saint Louis wasn't that bad, we lived in nice areas. Never got robbed, beaten up, mugged, or had friends killed, while in Saint Louis (all things that I have had happen in other countries).
We did live in the Central West End for a bit. That is an area where if you go 2mins to far you can be in trouble.

So far off the subject of Canada...
I was in the Central West End in April 2001 and if you drive 2 minutes to the north it is a much different story. I'll be in the St. Louis area in a couple of weeks...O'Fallon out in ex-urbia....but we'll be in the City as well.

Believe me many threads get off topic here on BE.

There is a reason that Ross Kemp did an episode of his gangs series in St. Louis.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
the East St Louis murder rate was higher than Metro Vancouver (around 80 -90 murders a year for a population of 2.4 million - lower than greater manchester) vs 100 murders a year for east st louis - population (according to wiki is around 32,000).
Okay - I had to re-read this to make sure that you meant that the population was lower than Greater Manchester's, not the murder rate...

Right?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:21 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Okay - I had to re-read this to make sure that you meant that the population was lower than Greater Manchester's, not the murder rate...

Right?
Population is a bit more in manchester and the total numbers of murders is a bit more so comparable to vancouver . As an aside, Moss side and Longsight have higher murder rates than some major metro areas of the states. there were more gun relates crimes in those areas as well.

the uk on the whole as a lower murder rate than Canada which is likely more to do with ease of access to firearms.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Population is a bit more in manchester and the total numbers of murders is a bit more so comparable to vancouver . As an aside, Moss side and Longsight have higher murder rates than some major metro areas of the states. there were more gun relates crimes in those areas as well.

the uk on the whole as a lower murder rate than Canada which is likely more to do with ease of access to firearms.
not according to this, #44 and #46 http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ers-per-capita
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
That puts Canada as having a higher murder rate - just. I always thought that crime rates here and in the UK were broadly similar overall despite the mythology on BE. I expect the same can be said for all western democracies apart from the US.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That puts Canada as having a higher murder rate - just. I always thought that crime rates here and in the UK were broadly similar overall despite the mythology on BE. I expect the same can be said for all western democracies apart from the US.
Yes, so close that I would imagine they could trade places by the hour. Another point has to do with guns, if there are more murders committed with a gun in Canada, and Canada had more guns then Britain, then it seems like the Brits have found other ways to kill people.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Yes, so close that I would imagine they could trade places by the hour. Another point has to do with guns, if there are more murders committed with a gun in Canada, and Canada had more guns then Britain, then it seems like the Brits have found other ways to kill people.
Yeah, we use knives and our bare hands. Not like you Canadian wufters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.