British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do you NOT like about living in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-canada-674908/)

merv63 Jul 2nd 2010 1:07 pm

What do you NOT like about living in Canada

hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz! :thumbup:

flipance Jul 2nd 2010 1:13 pm

Re: What do you NOT like about living in Canada

I am back in the UK after being in Canada for a year and can honestly say that there isn't anything that I can think of that I don't like about Canada. Sure there are a few things I miss about the UK, Beer, sausages, Cheese, but most of it is nif naf and trivia. The only thing I can really think of is I dont like the TV, again just trivia.

el_richo Jul 2nd 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8672653)
What do you NOT like about living in Canada

The immigrants :thumbdown:

Auld Yin Jul 2nd 2010 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8672692)
The immigrants :thumbdown:

Particularly the ones from the UK via Australia. Just more whingers and moaners to "listen" to.

el_richo Jul 2nd 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8672698)
Particularly the ones from the UK via Australia. Just more whingers and moaners to "listen" to.

Amen to that :thumbup:

el_richo Jul 2nd 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8672653)
hi, we are currently living in Australia, moved here from the UK about 6 years ago and like many Brits we find the people very odd and racist (very). If you check out the Australia forum you will see that this is the general opinion amongst lots of other things. So we put on a thread about what people dont like about living in Oz and have been overwelmed with the replies!!! As we would like to consider Canada as a place to live, we thought we would put on the same thread.

Look forward to your comments, it will be interesting to compare what the Brits think of Canada compared to Oz! :thumbup:

Ok in all seriousness:
  1. I don't like the banking costs
  2. I don't like the cost of mobile phone ownership
  3. I don't like paying tax on a 2nd hand car
  4. I don't like the over use of traffic lights
  5. I don't like the choice of cars when compared to Europe
  6. I don't like that you cannot filter through traffic on a bike
  7. I don't like it when people woooop
  8. I don't like.....oh, i'm bored now.

G77 Jul 2nd 2010 1:42 pm

Don't be surprised to find more racism in Canada - I've heard some stuff here that I wouldn't like to even repeat myself :eek:

MikeUK Jul 2nd 2010 1:42 pm

I don't like the low standard of driving

Canadian's in general make the French and Italians look thoughtful and caring

merv63 Jul 2nd 2010 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8672698)

it seems to me that the only person whinging is you!!! typical jock hey

G77 Jul 2nd 2010 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 8672726)

Good point - what irritates me most is there's a general lack of driving courtesy, it's very much "every man for himself" mentality. Even in the UK, if you were waiting at a side road or something, you'll generally get let out into the flow of traffic (unless you're in a BMW). I dunno if it's because there's no unofficial uniform method of signalling this i.e. flashing of lights in the UK - so it's hard to signal for someone to come out, if you're waving your hand at them, they often can't see this from the sun glare. And then if you do manage to let someone out, they just look at you like this :blink: and don't wave a thanks or any kind of acknowledgement :thumbdown:

el_richo Jul 2nd 2010 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8672730)
it seems to me that the only person whinging is you!!! typical jock hey

You tell him :thumbup:

spaceace Jul 2nd 2010 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 8672732)
Good point - what irritates me most is there's a general lack of driving courtesy, it's very much "every man for himself" mentality. Even in the UK, if you were waiting at a side road or something, you'll generally get let out into the flow of traffic (unless you're in a BMW). I dunno if it's because there's no unofficial uniform method of signalling this i.e. flashing of lights in the UK - so it's hard to signal for someone to come out, if you're waving your hand at them, they often can't see this from the sun glare. And then if you do manage to let someone out, they just look at you like this :blink: and don't wave a thanks or any kind of acknowledgement :thumbdown:

It seams to be totally the opposite in Halifax, sometimes I cycle over the bridge and into downtown and the motorists couldn't be more courteous.

Yes you do get some knuckleheads, but not that many IMHO.

Steve_P Jul 2nd 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 8672726)

Those are the French and Italians they've all come over here. :p

MikeUK Jul 2nd 2010 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 8672790)
Those are the French and Italians they've all come over here. :p

One of the worst groups here in the GTA is the Portuguese :unsure:

At least they’re easily identifiable during the world cup season

G77 Jul 2nd 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by spaceace (Post 8672786)
It seams to be totally the opposite in Halifax, sometimes I cycle over the bridge and into downtown and the motorists couldn't be more courteous.

Yes you do get some knuckleheads, but not that many IMHO.

It has been noted that Windsor drivers are "US style" - though I notice an even more extreme shift in aggressive driving style when going over the border....