Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do at the start of my IEC if I haven't secured a job!

What to do at the start of my IEC if I haven't secured a job!

Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Wafflelord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do at the start of my IEC if I haven't secured a job!

Hi all!

I've got myself a conditional offer for this year's IEC. I just need to wait for the rest to process in order to get my work permit, and I want to head over to Canada sooner rather than later!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good schemes or groups to get involved with to occupy myself while I try and sort out a more long term Job + Accommodation.

I work in the video games industry as a designer and i'm starting to look for suitable positions over there now. But these can be hard to come by so I'd like to have something else lined up if I haven't secured a job by the time my point of entry letter comes through. I'll at least have a plan to head over there and do something! Even if it's volunteering or temp work as long as I've got something sorted I'll be happy and i can carry on the hunt for a game design job while i'm doing that!

I'm mainly interested in moving to Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto eventually (as I've heard they're hot spots for the industry). But I'd be happy to live in surrounding area while I look for jobs.

Any Help or suggestions about where to look for temp work or volunteering schemes (is there anything in place suitable for people coming over for IEC that helps with temp work and or setting up accommodation?) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Wafflelord; Jan 6th 2014 at 10:28 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What to do at the start of my ICE if I haven't secured a job!

Obviously i mean I "IEC" not ICE, haha! If someone's able to fix it for me that would be grand
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do at the start of my IEC if I haven't secured a job!

I'm surprised that no-one has replied to this.

I believe it's quite common to enter as a visitor initially, spend some time job searching and then flag-polling to activate the IEC after you found one.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I believe it's quite common to enter as a visitor initially, spend some time job searching and then flag-polling to activate the IEC after you found one.
+1

Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Thanks for the reply!

When you say flag-polling to activate the IEC, what exactly do you mean? What stage of the process should I aim to be in when I enter the country?

I've received my CAL but haven't started submitting the additional documents required.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wafflelord
Thanks for the reply!

When you say flag-polling to activate the IEC, what exactly do you mean? What stage of the process should I aim to be in when I enter the country?

I've received my CAL but haven't started submitting the additional documents required.
You can enter as a visitor, then when you have found a job take your Letter of Introduction (LOI) to the border. The LOI is the thing you need to get a work permit - you should (if possible) have this in hand before arriving in Canada just in case something goes wrong with your application - you don't want to be sitting in Canada waiting for it and then not get it!

As to flagpoling, basically you go to the border, enter the USA then return to Canada and activate your LOI. Make sure you have the required funds together with proof of Insurance valid for the period you will be in Canada for.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can enter as a visitor, then when you have found a job take your Letter of Introduction (LOI) to the border. The LOI is the thing you need to get a work permit - you should (if possible) have this in hand before arriving in Canada just in case something goes wrong with your application - you don't want to be sitting in Canada waiting for it and then not get it!

As to flagpoling, basically you go to the border, enter the USA then return to Canada and activate your LOI. Make sure you have the required funds together with proof of Insurance valid for the period you will be in Canada for.

Ok. So just to make sure I understand correctly; I can come to Canada as a visitor, find a job, then enter the USA and return to Canada at the border to activate my LOI?

I'm wary of wasting the year of my IEC without a Job in Canada. Does the year only start from when i activate my LOI? Or is it always from the date stated on the LOI? That's the main reason I haven't started submitting my additional documents yet. I want the year that I have to start at the best time, hopefully when I've found a job! Is this a good idea to wait like this or am i better off getting everything with my IEC sorted asap?

Thanks a lot for the advice
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:12 am
Banned

Ok. So just to make sure I understand correctly; I can come to Canada as a visitor, find a job, then enter the USA and return to Canada at the border to activate my LOI?

I'm wary of wasting the year of my IEC without a Job in Canada. Does the year only start from when i activate my LOI? Or is it always from the date stated on the LOI? That's the main reason I haven't started submitting my additional documents yet. I want the year that I have to start at the best time, hopefully when I've found a job! Is this a good idea to wait like this or am i better off getting everything with my IEC sorted asap?

Thanks a lot for the advice
You are very welcome.

You have 1 year to activate it (normally) from the date of issue - it will have an expiry date on it. Once you activate it, you will have a 1 year work permit given to you.

You should, if possible, get everything finalised with your IEC application as you only have 90 days to submit the information requested from the time you receive confirmation that your payment has been received. If you don't submit the rest of the documentation by the cut off date (which you should be notified of) then the application is void.

If you submitted the documentation in the next 60 days, for instance, your LOI would be valid from March/April 2014 to March/April 2015, giving you plenty of time to find a job and then activate it.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are very welcome.

You have 1 year to activate it (normally) from the date of issue - it will have an expiry date on it. Once you activate it, you will have a 1 year work permit given to you.

You should, if possible, get everything finalised with your IEC application as you only have 90 days to submit the information requested from the time you receive confirmation that your payment has been received. If you don't submit the rest of the documentation by the cut off date (which you should be notified of) then the application is void.

If you submitted the documentation in the next 60 days, for instance, your LOI would be valid from March/April 2014 to March/April 2015, giving you plenty of time to find a job and then activate it.

I see! That makes perfect sense. Ok, i feel a lot less rushed to find a job right away with that info. I'll get cracking with the rest of my application asap.

Massive help, thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:51 am
Banned

I see! That makes perfect sense. Ok, i feel a lot less rushed to find a job right away with that info. I'll get cracking with the rest of my application asap.

Massive help, thanks!
You are very welcome.

you find a job fast.

Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let me try again:

Www.enzyme.org, Sainte-Adele which is 45 minutes N of Montreal

I am NOT affiliated with this company, which fits your "games industry" criteria, is recruiting, but which has a mediocre reputation locally for high staff Turnover. The advantage for an IEC visa holder is that it's also slap bang in the middle of a high traffic tourism (ski) area, so good for other temp/part-time jobs. (Google Saint-Sauveur, Mont-Habitant, Mont-Gabriel) Also on public transport route to/from Montreal -Mont-Tremblant (IEC Mecca in this neck of the woods;-) )

HTH, good luck, PM me if you have any other questions on this particular subject

SB