Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:55 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you think that will raise a snigger or two, try the name of the major road (the yellow one) in this Google map.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:04 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I always disposed of nappy's responsibly
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

There's a company advertising on the TV who have the same name as that street Don't know what they do though
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:15 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Time to get back to discussing possible destinations for visits as I suspect this thread could sink deeper than the depths we sank to at school searching for certain words in a dictionary
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
Hello,

Well....our in-laws are arriving this week, for a three week stay

They are elderly and I am wondering where the best places are to take them?? I suppose we need suggestions because we haven't been here long ourselves!!!!

So far we've got Banff (gondola) and Lake Louise, possibly the zoo (though this may be a bit much!) Drives through the rockies and picnics (as long as the weather holds up!)

Any suggestions??

Nicky
Johnston Canyon, just past Banff also has an easy walking trail to the lower falls with a nice cafe/tea shop at the bottom.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you think that will raise a snigger or two, try the name of the major road (the yellow one) in this Google map.

Guaranteed to raise the eyebrows of virtually every UK immigrant or tourist to Calgary.
Somehow I knew which road it was going to be before I clicked the link.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:08 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

If they like a bit of culture. Taking Hwy 2 South,

Fort Macleod AB (2hrs from Calgary)
http://www.fortmacleod.com/

Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump (20 Mins West of Fort Macleod)
http://www.head-smashed-in.com/

Museum of the Plains Indians, Browning MT (2 hrs South of Fort Macleod)
This is a spectacular museum of the Plains Indians
http://www.doi.gov/iacb/museums/museum_plains.html

Glacier National Park (1 hour west of Browning)
http://www.nps.gov/glac/
Interesting, but not up the the Canadian Rockies

The above can be done on one journey, but would take 2-3 days to see it all properly.

NE of Calgary
Drumheller, Dinosaur Valley. (about 1.75 hrs east of Calgary)
http://www.dinosaurvalley.com/Visiting_Drumheller/

For directions and maps try Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/

This seems to be much more accurate than Mapquest and give distances option for Km or miles.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
Devonian Gardens and the Calgary Tower downtown
The Calgary Tower is expensive. You could try going up one of the office towers and when you get to the top, tell the receptionist that you'd like to look out the window.

Some friends and I did this at Bankers Hall (east tower). They have a huge window in the reception area of a law office. While we were there, one of the partners let us go into a board room for different views. You may be well received with guests from home.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

markhelen will become famous soon enough

and if you are at Minnewanka take a quick trip across the dam to Two jack lake, its so serene it should be illegal!

Mark
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

How about a hockey game? Or Canadian style football?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MCrocker
...and that is the coolest name for any lake in the whole of Canada.....
We always laughed at the name and passed it by until one day we decided to investigate the Minnewanka loop. I was surprised at how stunning it was and it has a charming history attached to the area when you read the info. As if that wasn't enough, i was then blown away by Two Jack lake. Theres a beautiful picnic area right on the lake if you get a nice day. I love this area, dare i say it, more than Lake Louise. Although the Ice Sculptures on the lake and Hotel grounds at lake louise are sight to be seen.
I love Moraine lake too, except for the scary drive up there (or should i say the driving down it) certainly not for the feint hearted.
How about taking the in-laws to brunch at the Kananaskis Delta hotel, not been myself but heard it's good.

Jo xx
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:00 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Head into Kananaskis country, and drive to Kananaskis Village, wander around the lovely array of shops at the Delta Hotel, have lunch in the fab restaurant, (its lovely to sit outside in the courtyard if the weathers nice), then walk it off on one of the many trails leading from the complex. A short kilometre one is flat and easy and offers lovely views over the valley with the golf course set down below and mountains all around ya. Can't you tell I just love the place.
We have stayed there 3 times already and are going back for more this Christmas.

My parents are interested in doing the steam train at Stettler http://www.absteamtrain.com/
next time they come over, plus Drumheller is worth a visit for sure. The museum there is terrific.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

It might be getting late in the season but Saskatoon Farm is always popular in our family:

http://www.saskatoonfarm.com/

My Favorite Ice Cream Shoppe

http://www.myfavoriteicecream.com/

Peter's Drive In. You can't come to Calgary and not do that (cash only if you go):

http://www.petersdrivein.com/

Last edited by rwin; Sep 12th 2007 at 2:24 am.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:36 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
Johnston Canyon, just past Banff also has an easy walking trail to the lower falls with a nice cafe/tea shop at the bottom.
Depends how mobile they are .... I know my parents, (in their early 80's, mum's a bit arthritic and dad almost blind) would not have coped with even the lower level of Kohnston Canyon!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Depends how mobile they are .... I know my parents, (in their early 80's, mum's a bit arthritic and dad almost blind) would not have coped with even the lower level of Kohnston Canyon!
This place just opened, could be interesting.

http://www.siksikanation.com/blackfootcrossing.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.