Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice
Question What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

Hello,

Well....our in-laws are arriving this week, for a three week stay

They are elderly and I am wondering where the best places are to take them?? I suppose we need suggestions because we haven't been here long ourselves!!!!

So far we've got Banff (gondola) and Lake Louise, possibly the zoo (though this may be a bit much!) Drives through the rockies and picnics (as long as the weather holds up!)

Any suggestions??

Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in Calgary with the In-laws??

Oh I feel for you

My MIL visited for the second time this year, for 3 weeks she is 82 and has limited mobility, as this was her 2nd visit we were able to do different things with her (most everything caused some sort of complaint but I think thats just MIL's).

She seemed to really enjoy:
Walmart
Sylvan Lake - she couldn't get over the size of it - so a lake nearer you may have the same effect.
Calgary Tower.
Lake Louisa - yeah we don't know where the A come from either.
The Icefields - shoved her on one of the buses - we had already done this but daughter was excited about a repeat visit.
Jasper - she preferred Jasper to Banff - but then we do too.
She loved West Ed mall - we got her a scooter whenerver she went in any mall/walmart etc. Absolutely loved using one.
She loved the Old Spaghetti Factory for supper too.

We also did some Historical interest stuff - not sure if they will still be open seeing as it's after Labour Day.

Markerville Creamery and Dickson were a hit. Also we had thought of doing the Alberta Prairie Steam train out of Stettler http://www.absteamtrain.com/schedule.html But we ran out of weekends. We have previously travelled the Country Dinner to Big valley - a lovely day out and we will do it again sometime.

Anyway enjoy your inlaws, hope all goes well.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:23 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Waterton is a 3 hour drive but worth it.
Elbow Falls
Sheep River Falls
Millarville Market

there's always the Chinook Mall - you might lose them....
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:36 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Everything Piff Poff and MCrocker have told you is true.

But please do not miss Moraine Lake. It's 9 miles (14 km) from Lake Louise and, in my opinion, is even more beautiful than Lake Louise (although of course Lake Louise is a must-see as well).

My travel website has a suggested one-day itinerary from Calgary to the mountains and back again. It encompasses Moraine Lake, Lake Louise and Banff townsite.

If you have more time to spend in the mountains, my website has other suggested itineraries of varying lengths.

I suggest you go to the Inside Calgary part of TripAdvisor, which is a travel discussion forum.

Once you're there, check out Day Trips. Of the attractions listed on that page, I especially recommend the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, between 1.5 hours and 2 hours northeast of Calgary. The dinosaur skeletons are awesome. The TripAdvisor page has detailed directions and information about the place.

In the Inside Calgary section, also check the pages on:

Architecture

Neighbourhoods

Museums and Attractions Of the attractions listed on that page, I especially recommend the Devonian Gardens in the downtown core and Heritage Park Pioneer Village in the southwest quadrant. But note that now, in the autumn, Heritage Park is open only on Saturdays and Sundays.

Off The Beaten Path

If time permits, I highly recommend that you visit Kananaskis Country, which is to the southeast of Banff, between Banff and Calgary. There are directions on this page of my travel website.

On the TripAdvisor website, I suggest that you go to the Inside Banff National Park : National Park Entry Fees page, so that you can understand how the entry fees work.

In fact, the entire Inside Banff National Park section is a great source of information about the Canadian Rockies in general.

I especially recommend that you read the page about the Clothing in which you will be most comfortable in the mountains.

If you want to visit Waterton Lakes National Park, which MCrocker recommended, you would do well to check out the informative website that "Camping_Girl," who lives in Nanton, Alberta, has created about that beautiful mountain national park (about 3 hours' drive south of Calgary).

If you do go to Waterton, you would do well to either go there or return via the secondary highway known as the Cowboy Trail (Hwy #22). It takes you through the rolling foothills immediately east of the Rockies, and is a charming route.

Another excellent website that tells you what there is between Calgary and the US border is A Day Through Southern Alberta.

You probably won't be able to do all of the stuff listed here with your in-laws, but it'll give you a long list of attractions to tackle as and when you can. (Also, it's good to have some things left over for them to see if they come back again. )

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Sep 11th 2007 at 7:39 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
Hello,

They are elderly and I am wondering where the best places are to take them?? I suppose we need suggestions because we haven't been here long ourselves!!!!

So far we've got Banff (gondola) and Lake Louise, possibly the zoo (though this may be a bit much!) Drives through the rockies and picnics (as long as the weather holds up!)

Any suggestions??

Nicky
Devonian Gardens and the Calgary Tower downtown
Cochrane for MacKays ice cream
Moraine Lake - on the way to Lake Louise and much better IMHO - far less touristy
Heritage Park for old time, western Calgary
Bowness Park in the NW is good for family picnics - right on the Bow or
Fish Creek Park in the SW
My MIL loves Winners - can't get her out of there whenever she comes over!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
Devonian Gardens and the Calgary Tower downtown
Cochrane for MacKays ice cream
Moraine Lake - on the way to Lake Louise and much better IMHO - far less touristy
Heritage Park for old time, western Calgary
Bowness Park in the NW is good for family picnics - right on the Bow or
Fish Creek Park in the SW
My MIL loves Winners - can't get her out of there whenever she comes over!
Dont forget Moraine Lake closes soon for the winter. I am not 100% sure but I think its the end of September.

Its one of my favorites especially with a bit of snow on the peaks.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

Many thanks guys....you are always full if such helpful hints!!

We will definately be doing some of those.

Nicky
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

When my elderly aunt and uncle visited from the UK they really liked Heritage Park.

They also really quite enjoyed driving around some of the inner neighborhoods (Inglewood and Hillhurst Sunnyside) looking at the older homes.

Also a visit to the top of the Calgary Tower for lunch and then to the Glenbow Museum was a big hit.

A walk along the Eighth Avenue Mall on a Sunday afternoon with a visit to the Devonian Gardens also seemed to go down a treat.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mention Moraine lake before because we always do it when we do Lake Louise - so we hear the ooohs and aaaahs over Lkae Louise and then the OH WOW it's even nicer when we get to Moraine lake so sorry for the omission

If your doing Banff, Lake Louise and Moraine lake then carry on up the Icefields parkway if you don't have time to do the Jasper stuff then turn at the Saskatchewen crossing and do the David Thompson Highway - for me that is a big Oh My Look at that! (I would say all that in 1 day would be too much though).
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgary Colemans
Hello,

Any suggestions??

Nicky
You can always do a boat trip on Lake Minewanka, the tunnel mountain turn off before you go into Banff.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:35 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smelly
You can always do a boat trip on Lake Minewanka, the tunnel mountain turn off before you go into Banff.
...and that is the coolest name for any lake in the whole of Canada.....
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MCrocker
...and that is the coolest name for any lake in the whole of Canada.....
I know , pronounced with a Canadian accent isnt it more along the lines of "Minewaaaka"
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by smelly
I know , pronounced with a Canadian accent isnt it more along the lines of "Minewaaaka"
Pronounced in a similar fashion to Willie Wonka.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:44 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Would cause sniggers with younger kids and teens but think MIL will be oblivious so you should be OK
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Would cause sniggers with younger kids and teens but think MIL will be oblivious so you should be OK
If you think that will raise a snigger or two, try the name of the major road (the yellow one) in this Google map.

Guaranteed to raise the eyebrows of virtually every UK immigrant or tourist to Calgary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.