Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What To Do About Morbid Relatives?

What To Do About Morbid Relatives?

Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What To Do About Morbid Relatives?

Originally Posted by dinger24
Hi
I have read a lot of posts about parents etc not being to happy about their kids moving to Canada, how bloomin selfish these people are, how bloomin horrible for them to give you a guilt trip! Really gets me this sort of attitude. Me personally I would tell your dad . . . . well lets say I have a few choice words for him. I would not care about this silly selfish attitude and just blatantly point out that it would be his loss not yours, just simply give him your number and tell him that there is a bed available should he want to visit! I have had this for years with my wifes mother and father, we moved around a bit and lived in some far away places, the father in law once made a comment about us not visiting I simply pointed out the my house was the same distance as his house! We visited once sometimes twice a year, he has never been to our house in 18 years! Now he only mentions it when Iam not around!
Your fathers sounds like a right git. I mean investing all that time and money in your upbringing and then having the audacity to expect the occasional visit. Cheeky bastard.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

No he is often visited!
I usually take two holidays a year, these are used to visit family. What I find difficult is that I am expected to use my holiday time to visit them they on the otherhand would never consider visiting us!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The same principle applied, my mum was upset when I gave her flowers from a roadside memorial for Mothers Day, if she'd fetched me up right I'd never done such a thing. So its her fault.
So if your parents had provided the right support and guidance for you to have a successful life in the UK, you'd never consider moving.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:38 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Your fathers sounds like a right git. I mean investing all that time and money in your upbringing and then having the audacity to expect the occasional visit. Cheeky bastard.
The Scots are bloody miserable gets
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
The same principle applied, my mum was upset when I gave her flowers from a roadside memorial for Mothers Day, if she'd fetched me up right I'd never done such a thing. So its her fault.
So if your parents had provided the right support and guidance for you to have a successful life in the UK, you'd never consider moving.

Oooooh mine did that, but I'd still like to try living across the pond??!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

TheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant future

I find it ironic that you're wondering "what to do about" what other people have refered to as "selfish parents", when you apparently expect your father (who apparently has a moderate fear or disdain of flying) to pay to come over and see you, when it is you who have decided to travel to Calgary, to prove that he really cares enough to do so.

As for him claiming that he may well be dead before he gets the chance to see you, he's probably just being realistic. If you're living so far apart, there's not really going to be much of an opportunity for you to get together. So, he's going to the extremes, a little bit, to prove his point. His point, which is practically true.

Also, your parents going on holiday for Christmas is obviously much different to you emigrating to Calgary. Is it just me, or is there a huge difference there?

Your parents pretending to be happy for you when they're not would be false, would not benefit your relationship and would be bad news for their mental health. But, you want them to go through this, so they don't put you on a "guilt trip"? Poor you.

I realise that me commenting in such a manner on somebody else's private life may appear vulgar. But, you put it out there to be discussed and I couldn't help but share my true opinion on the matter. I don't dislike you, because I don't know you, but this thread just disturbed me. Now, I'm sure you have your reasons for emigrating, and I respect that. But, if there's any selfishness going on, just please don't pretend that it isn't coming from your "camp".

Last edited by TheBestUsername; Nov 6th 2009 at 11:08 am.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Hi Emma - It sounds like your situation is very similar and your parents are around the same age. Skype and webcam is a good idea - I will set it up for them before we go. They are definitely capable of travelling but my mum doesn't want to come in winter - too cold

Hi el_richo - What you say about them being used to folk living in close proximity to where they are born is so true. That is what they are used to - folk round here just don't move away.

I hear what you're saying about the possibility of my own kids moving away. I want to encourage them to travel.

My DD would like to go to Australia for a while when she finishes college and DS is considering London. But I know that if they stay here, they're less likely to do those things. But as you say - it will still be hard if they decide to have kids in another country.

Hi Nats - That is brilliant that they like where you're living and realise that you made a good choice for your kids. I bet it makes life much easier.

Hi Jingle - Very true. You're not a whole heap closer to mum's age though - she was only 19 when I was born

My dad has been for lots of check-ups etc and is doing what the nurse says. Trouble is, I don't think he's been honest with her about the amount he drinks, so he hasn't stopped doing that. He has given up cheese and butter - but not cut down on drink, which is kind of crazy.

It must have been tough leaving your son - but at least you know he's happy and settled. And it's wonderful that you got your MIL on her first plane ride at 86 - what a great adventure for her.

Hi Snoopster - That must make it worse when they get upset on Skype after you've gone. But as you say, if you're mum was missing you too much, she could trade on of her European hols to fly out.

I see where you're coming from re. the mortality awareness thing. I guess everyone goes through it. Hopefully he will get over it in a few months.

Hi Dinger - How selfish of your FIL to expect you to give up all your holiday time, yet he won't give up any of his.

Hi Oink - that is very true. You're joking about the flowers right?

Hi Muskoka - That must have been awful. I can't see them going on a reccie with us. They wouldn't even come here for a meal to meet the inlaws when I got engaged, which was really embarrassing. My dad doesn't like going to folks houses for meals - yet he has no trouble going to my brothers house for meals with his in-laws.

Hi TheBestUserName - You're welcome to say what you want - it makes forums interesting.

My dad doesn't have a fear of flying - he's just selfish and my mother has to go along with what he wants all the time. He's been to a lot of cool places that I've not had the opportunity to visit.

They have a villa in Spain, so they go there a lot, not just Christmas. I was just pointing out that they say they're going to miss us - but obviously not enough so they could stay at home and see us next Christmas when we come back to visit. I don't mind them doing that - it's their choice, so why should they mind me living in another country?

I understand where you're coming from re selfishness though. Choosing to do what is best for me and the kids, is obviously going to impact others and putting ourselves first is selfish in some respects. But we only have one life and I'm betting that if we lived the life our parents want for us - we'd wind up having a lot of regrets.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:43 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

I don't consider it to be selfish to want the best out of your own life!

My FIL is already 3 years over the 5 years he was given to live and he has to be the one that is the most suportive of our plans to move out to Canada. He knows how short life is and that you have to get out there and live it. I just pray he lives long enough to see us get there.

Fingers crossed you can reach some sort of a compromise with your dad
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBestUsername
I find it ironic that you're wondering "what to do about" what other people have refered to as "selfish parents", when you apparently expect your father (who apparently has a moderate fear or disdain of flying) to pay to come over and see you, when it is you who have decided to travel to Calgary, to prove that he really cares enough to do so.

As for him claiming that he may well be dead before he gets the chance to see you, he's probably just being realistic. If you're living so far apart, there's not really going to be much of an opportunity for you to get together. So, he's going to the extremes, a little bit, to prove his point. His point, which is practically true.

Also, your parents going on holiday for Christmas is obviously much different to you emigrating to Calgary. Is it just me, or is there a huge difference there?

Your parents pretending to be happy for you when they're not would be false, would not benefit your relationship and would be bad news for their mental health. But, you want them to go through this, so they don't put you on a "guilt trip"? Poor you.

I realise that me commenting in such a manner on somebody else's private life may appear vulgar. But, you put it out there to be discussed and I couldn't help but share my true opinion on the matter. I don't dislike you, because I don't know you, but this thread just disturbed me. Now, I'm sure you have your reasons for emigrating, and I respect that. But, if there's any selfishness going on, just please don't pretend that it isn't coming from your "camp".
Exactly. I do find many posters in these threads don't see the hypocrisy in what they write.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived thru this same thing, only opposite direction, I moved to UK to be with my husband. At first my dad said it will never work!! Didn't speak to me for 4 months...yes broke my heart, but once he met my husband he was ok, he was also old fashioned and said a wife belongs with her husband regardless of where they live. My dad was 83 when I left Canada, I also knew there might be a good chance he wouldnt be there when I returned in 2010, I lost my dad in Oct 2007....he died 6 hrs before I landed...We had spent some wonderful time together weeks before his passing, and I did fly home every time they needed me. Do I feel guilty I wasn't there when he passed, bloody right I do..but I can't change time..I know my dad excepted the idea I was living in another country.
My son was also in Canada, so wasn't just my dad that got left behind, my adult son is also there.
We do what we do to make our life better, no one has the right to tell us what we do is wrong, we have to live and learn. If your parents are truley laying on guilt trips they are being selfish, they raised you to make your own decisions, now when you do they guilt you...
My dad never came to UK, but I went home minimum twice a year, more if I could swing it.
They will get used to the idea, give them a chance to adjust.