Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What could I expect in salary

What could I expect in salary

Old Dec 2nd 2015, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What could I expect in salary

To get a job might take you a week, but you'd be flipping burgers, to find your dream (Canadian) job might take you three years or more, but I suspect you know that already, so as per my previous post the pay you can get for a job is likley to be largely a function of how long you are prepared to wait before starting work. As you say you don't need to work, you can afford to wait and to set a threshold of C$x,000 before you'd accept an offer.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime, if you think that there is a possibility/likelihood of staying in Canada long term (i.e. you intend to apply for Permanent Residency), why not look into how to get your qualifications recognised? It would certainly pay off in the long run and if there is a need for you to sit further exams etc., you have the time on your hands at the moment to do it - plus it would engage your brain!

Old Dec 4th 2015, 6:40 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Three kids. Why not spend your time bringing them up instead of subcontracting it out to a nanny. If you really needed the extra money or were reluctant to give up your career seniority, it would be understandable, but moving to a new country, it seems your efforts would be of most value in the home.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Three kids. Why not spend your time bringing them up instead of subcontracting it out to a nanny. If you really needed the extra money or were reluctant to give up your career seniority, it would be understandable, but moving to a new country, it seems your efforts would be of most value in the home.
Blimey. Did we get transported back to the 1950's and nobody told me? I'll put my pinny on then and get back to the sink where I clearly belong as a mother.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 9:58 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Blimey. Did we get transported back to the 1950's and nobody told me? I'll put my pinny on then and get back to the sink where I clearly belong as a mother.

I'm not saying it's the maternal ideal, but it could be a maternal/paternal ideal, if circumstances allow it, and in the OP's case, they appear to do so.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying it's the maternal ideal, but it could be a maternal/paternal ideal, if circumstances allow it, and in the OP's case, they appear to do so.
Ideal for whom? It's rarely ideal for a mother, and most mums I know that work are better mothers precisely because they aren't stuck at home with the kids, they have their own identity as well as 'x's mum', they have more confidence, they make sure the time they have with their children is spent wisely etc.

I've done both, I was a housewife and I've also worked since having kids. Both are incredibly valuable jobs, but to say to the OP 'why not spend your time bringing them up instead of subcontracting it out to a nanny' is possibly the most misogynistic view I've seen on BE for a long time. Why not suggest the husband gives up work instead if you're so keen that they don't have childcare?
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:09 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ideal for whom? It's rarely ideal for a mother, and most mums I know that work are better mothers precisely because they aren't stuck at home with the kids, they have their own identity as well as 'x's mum', they have more confidence, they make sure the time they have with their children is spent wisely etc.

I've done both, I was a housewife and I've also worked since having kids. Both are incredibly valuable jobs, but to say to the OP 'why not spend your time bringing them up instead of subcontracting it out to a nanny' is possibly the most misogynistic view I've seen on BE for a long time. Why not suggest the husband gives up work instead if you're so keen that they don't have childcare?
It's not misogynistic at all. If you say that, you're implying that there's something wrong with being a housewife. There's nothing wrong with it. If a woman prefers to work, that's her right too. There's no reason in the OP's example to suggest the husband, who appears to be the one with the working visa, give up his job so that she can then struggle to find a job in a foreign country.

My point was that too often children are sub-contracted out to nannies when they do not need to be. iMO I think that should be a last resort rather than a first resort.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not misogynistic at all. If you say that, you're implying that there's something wrong with being a housewife. There's nothing wrong with it. If a woman prefers to work, that's her right too.
Sorry Shard but it is (extremely) misogynistic. And your final word above turns a perfectly correct sentence into a patronizing one.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:49 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry Shard but it is (extremely) misogynistic. And your final word above turns a perfectly correct sentence into a patronizing one.
You do know that misogynistic has a different meaning from sexist?

My comment is not even sexist.

The "too" is tautological, but is meant to imply a woman has choice rather than some kind of patronising barb.

Last edited by Shard; Dec 5th 2015 at 3:51 am.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Danske bank has offices in toronto. You could try them if you have a corporate background.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that misogynistic has a different meaning from sexist?

My comment is not even sexist.

The "too" is tautological, but is meant to imply a woman has choice rather than some kind of patronising barb.
The OP said perfectly clearly in her opening post that she wants to work in order to have another interest than child-rearing. Your uncalled-for later post patronizingly claimed that with 3 children she shouldn't "out-source" her family to "nannies".

I do know the difference between sexist and misogynist, but IMHO that was both.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

You are Tyson Fury AICMFP.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:30 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The OP said perfectly clearly in her opening post that she wants to work in order to have another interest than child-rearing. Your uncalled-for later post patronizingly claimed that with 3 children she shouldn't "out-source" her family to "nannies".

I do know the difference between sexist and misogynist, but IMHO that was both.
Explain why it was misogynistic comment if you think it is one? Quite a serious charge coming from someone who knows the meaning.

The OP did mention she was looking for a diversion from child rearing, but she also mentioned the need to hire a nanny, and her "economy being solid" whether it would be worthwhile her working. I merely put the view across that it might not on the basis that I believe childcare by a parent is, where possible, preferable to childcare by a nanny. In this case the parent is the mother, but had the OP been a father writing about his wife's transfer, and his wish-washy aspirations for re-employment, I would have made precisely the same comment.

The only sexism here is in the prejudices that you and CO Have towards gender roles in the 21st century. The sexism has taken place in your heads not mine.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:36 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are Tyson Fury AICMFP.
That's a low blow.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 5:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Den Danske bank has offices in toronto. You could try them if you have a corporate background.
National banks, especially from smaller countries, generally exist to serve the needs of businesses based in the banks HQ country (conversely I doubt many Canadian businesses are falling over themselves to bank with a Danish bank), so that Den Danske Bank has a Toronto implies that there might be more Danish companies in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.