Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What could I expect in salary

What could I expect in salary

Old Dec 5th 2015, 6:06 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What could I expect in salary

Originally Posted by Dane2014
Thankyou.

I know. As mentioned in my post our economy is fine without working - so I would only be getting a job to keep me occupied and "entertained", provided of course that I can find something I would like to do, and that the salary offered is enough to pay for the extra hired help with the housekeeping and childcare after school hours that we would then need.

Ie. I would not be applying for jobs of the burgerflipping type, but for jobs that would require an academic degree, though probably not for jobs that would require a law degree (since I cannot expect to have my degree recognized as one ). That is why I am asking for salary bands for that type of jobs.

Believe me, I also know that IF I decide to go jobhunting it will be hard work. Really hard work. Because I would get hired on my basic skillset and my personality rather than my degree - and therefore I would not only need to find the right job, but also a manager willing to consider me as a "wildcard". That is what I did a couple of years ago back home, where I managed to convince someone that my drive, my collaboration and communication skills, my facilitation skills and abilityto ensure cooperation across silos, my constructive way of thinking and - just as important - my ability to get things done and get projects moving was just what he needed for his team. And it was

Now I have the merits from my previous job where I was not hired BECAUSE I was a lawyer, but - I would say - DESPITE the fact that I was a lawyer. But I have the disadvantage of being a foreigner. So the effort will probably be just as big if not even bigger - and as last time, I would probably also have to step down or step sideways on the career ladder in stead of stepping up in terms of salary, responsibilities etc. I am fully and completely aware of that.

And that is why I was trying to ask the general question about paybands. Because if the pay is too low for my needs, I would be better off finding something else to do than working. And then I would much rather spend my time and effort finding out what THAT is, than working my butt of finding a job only to realize I do not want it

But once again - it does not seem that such a question can be answered, so I guess that I will just have to decide whether I want to try and go down this road... or the other... and see what happens.
I suspect (though I am not in Ontario and stay as far away as possible from the corporate world) it may be tricky to land a high-flying executive level job on a part-time basis through a traditional job hunting strategy, let alone salary information.

Since you don't need the income, but do want intellectual stimulation, a more satisfying approach may be to assess how you want to use your skills and who may find them useful. For example, I have a friend who experienced one of the most satisfying periods of her career working for peanuts at a non-profit help centre (as it happens she is a lawyer and did that during a self-selected transition from an international legal firm to government law). If status rather than salary is a major consideration in your decision-making process, non-traditional work options may offer the challenge you are seeking.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 6:07 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Explain why it was misogynistic comment if you think it is one? Quite a serious charge coming from someone who knows the meaning.

The OP did mention she was looking for a diversion from child rearing, but she also mentioned the need to hire a nanny, and her "economy being solid" whether it would be worthwhile her working. I merely put the view across that it might not on the basis that I believe childcare by a parent is, where possible, preferable to childcare by a nanny. In this case the parent is the mother, but had the OP been a father writing about his wife's transfer, and his wish-washy aspirations for re-employment, I would have made precisely the same comment.

The only sexism here is in the prejudices that you and CO Have towards gender roles in the 21st century. The sexism has taken place in your heads not mine.
Wishy washy aspirations for re-employment?????

Hole. Shovel. Deeper.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Three kids. Why not spend your time bringing them up instead of subcontracting it out to a nanny. If you really needed the extra money or were reluctant to give up your career seniority, it would be understandable, but moving to a new country, it seems your efforts would be of most value in the home.
Well, you certainly managed to get the debate going, didn't you

Staying home at home while we are here was and is our plan A. Because we experience the benefits for the kids.

However, I am not doing very well as a stay at home mom. I knew I wouldn't, but I also wanted to give it a go and to nake an effort of it, because often I wish that I was the kind of person who wpøould thrive in that role. But I am not... In stead I am withering away. And to be honest, my children deserve much better than the snappy and grumpy mom they are stuck with at the moment...

So I am exploring alternatives, such as trying to get a job, however strange that would seem to (some) others...
Old Dec 5th 2015, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond reputeDane2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
I suspect (though I am not in Ontario and stay as far away as possible from the corporate world) it may be tricky to land a high-flying executive level job on a part-time basis through a traditional job hunting strategy, let alone salary information.

Since you don't need the income, but do want intellectual stimulation, a more satisfying approach may be to assess how you want to use your skills and who may find them useful. For example, I have a friend who experienced one of the most satisfying periods of her career working for peanuts at a non-profit help centre (as it happens she is a lawyer and did that during a self-selected transition from an international legal firm to government law). If status rather than salary is a major consideration in your decision-making process, non-traditional work options may offer the challenge you are seeking.
Thanks for your input.

I am also considering charity-work for sime of the same reasons. Especially the fact that It would be much easier to do part time, allowing me to spend more time with the kids and to avoid having to get a nanny.

Only so far, the environment surrounding the charity work doesn't seem very "accessible" to me, and to be honest It gives me a "cliquey" feeling, like I am back in high school, so it has not really been that appealing to me. But I might just have looked in the wrong places, so yes, that is also ine of the routes that I am exploring
Old Dec 5th 2015, 7:34 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you certainly managed to get the debate going, didn't you

Staying home at home while we are here was and is our plan A. Because we experience the benefits for the kids.

However, I am not doing very well as a stay at home mom. I knew I wouldn't, but I also wanted to give it a go and to nake an effort of it, because often I wish that I was the kind of person who wpøould thrive in that role. But I am not... In stead I am withering away. And to be honest, my children deserve much better than the snappy and grumpy mom they are stuck with at the moment...

So I am exploring alternatives, such as trying to get a job, however strange that would seem to (some) others...
I get it. Before I came to Canada I had never not worked, even with the two older children I worked part time. I am a far better mother when I work than when I don't. I've added a third child and a puppy while we've been here but I'm bored a lot of the time. I mean I have plenty to do physically/ I barely sit down. But it's not the same as work so I get it. I don't find it a very rewarding job particularly. Sorry kids!

I'm currently studying to sit my nursing exam so I'm hopeful that next year I will start getting the extra stimulus required. However, right now I volunteer with the school, in class, with the healthy lunch program and there is the breakfast club that needs help too. I also do volunteer hours for the swimming club my kids go to. The other thing I found helpful was exercising. I've trained for a few events this year because for the first time in a long time I actually have the time to do it. Anything there that might help?

I have a cleaner anyway! I can find all manner of things that justify having one

Shard- have you ever considered that children might benefit from seeing both mother and father work? The frankly old fashioned notion of mum at home while dad works is something I'm not keen to portray to my daughter particularly.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 9:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My work here is done. I think I'll unsubscribe from this one now.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 10:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input.

I am also considering charity-work for sime of the same reasons. Especially the fact that It would be much easier to do part time, allowing me to spend more time with the kids and to avoid having to get a nanny.

Only so far, the environment surrounding the charity work doesn't seem very "accessible" to me, and to be honest It gives me a "cliquey" feeling, like I am back in high school, so it has not really been that appealing to me. But I might just have looked in the wrong places, so yes, that is also ine of the routes that I am exploring
Have you looked at these websites? They are for non-profit employers.

Canadian Non-profit News, Jobs, Funding, Training | CharityVillage
Connect Nonprofit Jobs - ONN
WorkInNonProfits.ca - the best jobs in Canada's non-profit sector

Old Dec 20th 2015, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I previously worked in the non-profit sector on the health side at a Community Health Centre. There were many requests and a high need for legal advice/work from clients of the many and varied programs of the centre, purely for the fact that they couldn't afford regular rates for legal services. Your local CHC or Community Resource Centre may be able to point you in the direction of a non-profit legal firm operating within your locality that would more-than-likely welcome another pair of hands.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

It's not misogynistic at all.
You missed "in my opinion"

As usual, self-justification to the rescue !
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would not base a salary on an academic qualification, more what the job that needs doing is worth. If a masters is required to do that job, the salary would likely to reflect it.
Aviator - you are an exception to the rule in this land.

I still cannot believe how obsessed North Americans are with bits of paper - pathetic.

Rant over.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
You missed "in my opinion"

As usual, self-justification to the rescue !
Nothing to do with opinion, as anyone with a dictionary would know.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
specify what it is you are thinking about.
You should probably take your own advice. 'Shakes head and walks away' is an extremely poor and UNSPECIFIC response to someone who has taken the time to write a lengthy question. Especially when the primary point of your disgust is your perception of their question lacking specifics.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any web sites that give salary comparisons?
I need to set my salary and need a reference of comparative local salary bands
Old Dec 24th 2015, 8:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Are there any web sites that give salary comparisons?
I need to set my salary and need a reference of comparative local salary bands
Only this Explore Careers by Wages - Job Bank

Otherwise, search the job ads and use those.