Reload this Page >

what could happen

what could happen

Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

lazylou123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what could happen

hi

I normally post on the Australia site, but I have a question regarding Canadian immigration

a friend of mine moved over to Canada almost 3 years ago, just recently her and her husband have been having a few problems and he has got physical. he was arrested and charged with assault and verbal abuse. my query is what could happen to his / their immigration staus, could he / them be deported

thankyou for any replies

louisa
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:47 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what could happen

Originally Posted by lazylou123
hi

I normally post on the Australia site, but I have a question regarding Canadian immigration

a friend of mine moved over to Canada almost 3 years ago, just recently her and her husband have been having a few problems and he has got physical. he was arrested and charged with assault and verbal abuse. my query is what could happen to his / their immigration staus, could he / them be deported

thankyou for any replies

louisa
If he is a Canadian citizen he is likley OK. If he is on TWP, then he may want to start checking into the price of a flight, same could happen on PR as well if convicted. If she is PR should not be a problem for her about status in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

lazylou123 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply,

they are due to receive their citizenship in Oct/Nov I think. If he is given the option of counselling instead of jail would this be the same options, would he still have a conviction

thanks
Old Jul 6th 2010, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Very unlikely somebody would get deported simply because of an assault, although I appreciate it is a technical possibility.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 2:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazylou123
thanks for the reply,

they are due to receive their citizenship in Oct/Nov I think. If he is given the option of counselling instead of jail would this be the same options, would he still have a conviction

thanks
Criminal history (prohibitions)

You cannot become a citizen if you:
  • have been convicted of an indictable (criminal) offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act in the three years before you apply
  • are currently charged with an indictable offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act
  • are in prison, on parole or on probation
  • are under a removal order (have been ordered by Canadian officials to leave Canada)
  • are under investigation for, are charged with, or have been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity or
  • have had your Canadian citizenship taken away in the past five years.
If you are on probation or are charged with an offence and are awaiting trial, you should wait until after the probation has ended or the trial is over to apply for citizenship.
If you have spent time on probation, on parole or in prison in the last four years, you may not meet the residence requirement for citizenship.
Time in prison or on parole does not count as residence in Canada. Time on probation also does not count as residence in Canada if you were convicted of an offence. If you have spent time on probation from a conditional discharge, it may be counted toward residence. For details, contact the Call Centre.