What car?

Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car?

Originally Posted by heidi40
What car would you buy suitable for vancouver? which one is not too expensive to run and not too expensive parts?
Please help as this would be our first purchase as we arrive. So many choices can't decide.
Um, depends whereabouts in Vancouver you're going to be living and what sort of commuting you're doing. But the traffic downtown is pretty intense, the Toyota Prius is pretty popular but the most popular car in Canada and certainly in Vancouver is the Honda Civic. The problem is that car thieves tend to focus on them.

Certainly they're cost-effective. One tip is that sometimes parts and servicing can be cheaper in the US and driving to the US from Vancouver is no big deal, however to be able to do it you need to buy a car of which there is a US equivalent (not really an issue for an oil change but for more serious stuff where they need to plug it into a computer for example I've found it can be).

Also I've found there is a lot of crap that dealers in Canada will tell you, for example I bought a new tire in the US and they told me it wasn't Canadian-spec which was rubbish, the only difference was the US DOT sticker on it. But they don't like being undercut by US dealers.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
, a CR-V which we still have at 13 years old and around 400,000km on the clock. It's literally just starting to have issues (suspension stuff - the engine still runs like a dream).
That is good to know. Our CRV is 11 years old and hasn't needed anything more that routine service (still on second set of tires, second timing belt and third set of break pads). I thought we would replace it at 300,000 kms but there might be a few more years in the old thing yet.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heidi40
What car would you buy suitable for vancouver? which one is not too expensive to run and not too expensive parts?
Please help as this would be our first purchase as we arrive. So many choices can't decide.
The way the drive in Vancouver.... a tank!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:40 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Doesnt Vancouver have one of those car sharing schemes?

Ideal for occasional users I would think.

http://www.cooperativeauto.net/
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:21 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
but the most popular car in Canada and certainly in Vancouver is the Honda Civic. The problem is that car thieves tend to focus on them.

One way to get rid of the thieves and bring the cost down, both price and running costs is to get it with a manual transmission.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I understand that Honda Civics are the most stolen car in Lower BC.

Toyota Corolla are everywhere, like a plague and are usually driven by the biggest retards.

If you want to drive defensively, you could get a jacked up Toyota 4Runner with monster truck wheels; they seem to be quite common on the 'extreme commute' (bunch of twots).

For me, i bought a Buick; novelty factor mainly (never heard of them before coming over here) a nice big sedan with a bench front seat, 3.1L V-summut and enough haulage space. Drive like a flying carpet.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
One way to get rid of the thieves and bring the cost down, both price and running costs is to get it with a manual transmission.
Absolutely - ours is a manual and that's what I wanted - since we plan to keep it until it falls apart and resale isn't an issue. I can see that it would make it far less desirable to thieves. There are many of our friends and neighbours who seemed impressed to hear that we know how to drive a manual car, when obviously it's nothing to most Brits. When we got ours, the garage had a half-dozen manual pre-owned Civics on the forecourt, but no automatics. They said it was because the auto's sold as soon as they came in, but some of their bargain price, fantastic condition, low mileage, fully loaded manual transmission ones had been sat there for almost 12 months!