Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the best SIM card provider to keep a phone number while living abroad?

What is the best SIM card provider to keep a phone number while living abroad?

Old Mar 11th 2023, 7:07 pm
HTS
Just Joined

HTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best SIM card provider to keep a phone number while living abroad?

Hi,

I will be moving abroad soon and need to keep my UK phone number active for a couple of years.
What is the most convenient way to do this?
I currently have Smarty which confirmed I need to buy 1 plan every 6 months. Their cheapest plan is £5 so it would cost me £20 in 2 years (double it to keep my partner's number too).
Is there a SIM provider that would allow me to keep my number active for cheaper?
I think with GiffGaff I only need to spend 30p every 6 months to keep the number active, anyone did this successfully? Any alternative suggestions?
Old Mar 12th 2023, 3:48 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best SIM card provider to keep a phone number while living abroa

Originally Posted by HTS
Hi,

I will be moving abroad soon and need to keep my UK phone number active for a couple of years.
What is the most convenient way to do this?
I currently have Smarty which confirmed I need to buy 1 plan every 6 months. Their cheapest plan is £5 so it would cost me £20 in 2 years (double it to keep my partner's number too).
Is there a SIM provider that would allow me to keep my number active for cheaper?
I think with GiffGaff I only need to spend 30p every 6 months to keep the number active, anyone did this successfully? Any alternative suggestions?
Yes, I believe a single text (30p) or call (£1 per minute) every 6 months will keep your account running - but you also need to top-up every 6 months. I think the minimum is £10 so Smarty might be smarter!
Old Apr 18th 2023, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best SIM card provider to keep a phone number while living abroa

You don't have to keep topping up with Giffgaff - but you do need to keep the account alive with a text. We (mum and I) seem to get a reminder to do so within 12 months of the last text. It seems that others (perhaps more recent account holders - I've been with them for >15 years) get asked to do so every 6 months.

If you want a geographic (i.e. non-mobile) UK number kept alive, consider porting it to voip.ms - that'll be the cheapest option.
Old Apr 18th 2023, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

ribblerider is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah my UK contract is ending soon and want to keep my UK number before the move to Canada as we will be back and forth every so often. Giffgaff could be a shout!

But looking at their PAYG offerings....

"Pay as you go plans - These plans will last a single month giving you absolute freedom and flexibility. Once the plan ends, you'll need to hop online to choose your next one."

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-deals

On the customer support pages, does state what others have posted though.

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/217...ay-as-you-go/2

Last edited by ribblerider; Apr 18th 2023 at 10:11 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2023, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Make a site search - I've seen several threads on this topic with good suggestions. Be aware that providers and their packages change regularly, though. Also, check that the provider you choose will work in your location as they don't all work everywhere.

I had a Labara had a payg sim that had to used every 3 months or so to keep it active (e.g. send a text to your local number), and could be topped up online, although I don't know if it's the same now.
Old Apr 19th 2023, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

ribblerider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Make a site search - I've seen several threads on this topic with good suggestions. Be aware that providers and their packages change regularly, though. Also, check that the provider you choose will work in your location as they don't all work everywhere.

I had a Labara had a payg sim that had to used every 3 months or so to keep it active (e.g. send a text to your local number), and could be topped up online, although I don't know if it's the same now.

Yes Giff Gaff do cover Canada. So to send the odd 30p text shouldnt be an issue.

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/216...hone-in-canada