Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what am I missing?

what am I missing?

Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what am I missing?

Originally Posted by laddo73
10 months in & still think the UK has more to offer than Canada
Oh god not this again.
Of course the UK has more to offer its a lot older and has double the population and has a close proximity to Europe.
How can the Canadian Rockies in Alberta compare to the Pennine Chain or Snowdonia or the Cairngorms.
How dare Great Bear and Great Slave lake and a few other smaller lakes in Canada pretend to offer more than the Lake District.
It will take 874 miles to drive from the furthest points of the mainland UK i.e. John O Groats to Lands End as opposed to the 3965 miles from Vancouver to North Sydney NS not including Vancouver Island and Newfoundland & Labrador.
Who would want to fish on the Fraser or Mackenzie rivers when you have the River Tyne & Eden.
Mountain climbing pffft none of that in the Yukon compares to scaling Ben Nevis or Snowdon.

Sure we don't have Blackpool pleasure beach or the Brighton Pavillion or as many football stadiums to attend. We are crap at cricket and rugby and a lot of our buildings are less than 150 yrs old.
Yup Canada is a vast wasteland with nothing to offer but we all moved here for the children or to escape charges or warrants we had outstanding in the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

When are you headed back?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh god not this again.
Of course the UK has more to offer its a lot older and has double the population and has a close proximity to Europe.
How can the Canadian Rockies in Alberta compare to the Pennine Chain or Snowdonia or the Cairngorms.
How dare Great Bear and Great Slave lake and a few other smaller lakes in Canada pretend to offer more than the Lake District.
It will take 874 miles to drive from the furthest points of the mainland UK i.e. John O Groats to Lands End as opposed to the 3965 miles from Vancouver to North Sydney NS not including Vancouver Island and Newfoundland & Labrador.
Who would want to fish on the Fraser or Mackenzie rivers when you have the River Tyne & Eden.
Mountain climbing pffft none of that in the Yukon compares to scaling Ben Nevis or Snowdon.

Sure we don't have Blackpool pleasure beach or the Brighton Pavillion or as many football stadiums to attend. We are crap at cricket and rugby and a lot of our buildings are less than 150 yrs old.
Yup Canada is a vast wasteland with nothing to offer but we all moved here for the children or to escape charges or warrants we had outstanding in the UK.
They've decided the UK offers them more than Canada does.

Why is that so bad?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
They've decided the UK offers them more than Canada does.

Why is that so bad?
Its not so bad but lets face it after awhile it becomes like a dripping tap noise. If some of these people had done some research they would know there are differences and we have seen quite a few came completely unprepared.
Most of us are Brits on here and yes we take the piss out of Canucks but I have also seen quite a few Brits getting upset when Canadians give less than ideal reviews about the UK.
They are always free to move away from Canada if its that bad.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 10:14 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Is your wife happy? How is she filling her spare time?
Old Nov 6th 2015, 6:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Its not so bad but lets face it after awhile it becomes like a dripping tap noise. If some of these people had done some research they would know there are differences and we have seen quite a few came completely unprepared.
Most of us are Brits on here and yes we take the piss out of Canucks but I have also seen quite a few Brits getting upset when Canadians give less than ideal reviews about the UK.
They are always free to move away from Canada if its that bad.
It might become a 'dripping tap noise' to you, in which case skip these threads and move on to something else, rather than being so defensive and unsympathetic!

The whole point of this forum is for people to chat to others and get help, whether that's an answer to a practical question, or just to vent and share their homesickness.

Telling them to 'move away from Canada' when many can't for various reasons, isn't terribly sympathetic!

So I would ask that if you come across another similar thread in the future, please ignore the dripping tap and post on another thread instead. Thx.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It might become a 'dripping tap noise' to you, in which case skip these threads and move on to something else, rather than being so defensive and unsympathetic!

The whole point of this forum is for people to chat to others and get help, whether that's an answer to a practical question, or just to vent and share their homesickness.

Telling them to 'move away from Canada' when many can't for various reasons, isn't terribly sympathetic!

So I would ask that if you come across another similar thread in the future, please ignore the dripping tap and post on another thread instead. Thx.
Wow did OH burn your toast this morning?
As a dual citizen and having lived in both countries why shouldn't I become somewhat defensive about people saying Canada has less to offer than the UK.
Its not a case of not being sympathetic its a case of pointing out that there are differences and going back is an option if they are so unhappy rather than vent or dump on Canada.
When I continuously see threads or comments saying Canada has little to offer or doesn't have this or that or whatever then I am also allowed to express my opinion be it positive or negative providing I abide by the site rules.
I can also find many faults with Canada and have commented on them the same as I can say about the UK.
So I would please ask that if you come across another of my answers on a similar thread then please ignore it and don't comment on it.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow did OH burn your toast this morning?
I had assumed the same about you, given your rather rude response to the OP who simply said he still wasn't happy in Canada. Quite why you felt the need to jump down his throat with your reply is beyond me.

So I would please ask that if you come across another of my answers on a similar thread then please ignore it and don't comment on it.
Nope, I don't get that luxury as a mod. Feel free to defend Canada, but don't be rude to others in the process or say things like 'oh god not this again' when somebody has simply said they're unhappy. Thx.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had assumed the same about you, given your rather rude response to the OP who simply said he still wasn't happy in Canada. Quite why you felt the need to jump down his throat with your reply is beyond me.

Nope, I don't get that luxury as a mod. Feel free to defend Canada, but don't be rude to others in the process or say things like 'oh god not this again' when somebody has simply said they're unhappy. Thx.
Lets agree to disagree in your opinion rude in mine not rude but could be construed as sarcastic.
I have noted over the years you have tended to somewhat single out my responses compared to other posters and Im sure if I looked back over some of your responses perhaps I could have commented on your replies but chose not to.
Keep me in line by all means but people living in glass houses and all that.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:18 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Lets agree to disagree in your opinion rude in mine not rude but could be construed as sarcastic.
I have noted over the years you have tended to somewhat single out my responses compared to other posters and Im sure if I looked back over some of your responses perhaps I could have commented on your replies but chose not to.
Well the op hasn't come back to comment so I guess he thought your comment wasn't that nice/supportive/caring *delete as appropriate* ... If I recall rightly the op is living with his Canadian wife near family and struggling to settle, understandably so. Not everyone takes to the actual act of immigration so easily. Perhaps you have a short memory. Why not offer advice instead of criticism? As my daughter would say ... You are bucket dipping right now!
Old Nov 6th 2015, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Laddo: how is your wife settling? Is she loving it? Or does she have similar misgivings to yours?

While I don't think 10 months is that long, if you are *really* miserable*, and/or both you and your wife are not particularly happy, looking at/planning to go back to the UK might be the best option.

*if you are really miserable but your wife is really enjoying life in Canada, the "going back" option will obviously be more complicated ....
Old Nov 6th 2015, 2:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...but don't be rude to others in the process or say things like 'oh god not this again' when somebody has simply said they're unhappy. Thx.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 5:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I think as a Mod she doesn't necessarily have to agree to disagree

Back on topic, I'm not wholly sold on the place and can't see myself retiring here for sure. There are def good and bad bits in both places, both here and the Cotswolds we emigrated from to come here

Lots and lots of things I miss about the Cotswolds and yes, I can see someone saying 'what's all the fuss about' coming here. Take away the scenery and it's pretty replaceable from one spot to another but the same could be said of the UK

If I could have the standard of living I have here back there, I'd be tempted one day, but there are so many other places too

Tough choice.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 6:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The place is fairly tolerable if you just ignore the locals. Apart from shopping which is unavoidable, they're best left alone.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The place is fairly tolerable if you just ignore the locals. Apart from shopping which is unavoidable, they're best left alone.
The problem with a lot of the locals around here is that they're all immigrants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.