Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what am I missing?

what am I missing?

Old Jul 31st 2015, 7:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what am I missing?

We know quite a few Canadians who live in the UK. They all prefer the UK to Canada and not one has any desire to leave.

Canada is beautiful and so is the UK.

Canada has a lot of shitty people and areas. So has the UK.

Canada can have a higher cost of living. So can the UK.

People need to stop ****ing looking at things at the macro level (whole UK versus whole Canada) and ultra micro levels (****ing cheese) since it rarely impacts their lives.

That said, if it's not in Yorkshire, it's shit
Old Jul 31st 2015, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't have experience of either systems but I do find it hard to believe the USA would be cheaper...unless it's just that BC is especially expensive.

I just did a random check for Pharmacy Technician. Unless I'm misreading something it's $6k in NB and $4k at Vancouver.
California heavily subsidizes public education, especially at the community college level.

Community College system is $46 per unit, full-time is 12 units, so $552 per semester, I don't know of any school in BC where you can get college level education that low.

I looked into taking just 1 class, and it alone was nearly 500 dollars....

The community colleges serve 2 purposes, you can start there to do the first 2 years of university and then transfer, or you can obtain the necessary skills to enter the work force with programs such as:

Paramedic
EMT
Automotive Tech
Law Enforcement (most agencies there require 2 years of college now)
Medical Lab Tech
Registered Nursing
Vocational Nursing
Paralegal
Legal Office Admin
Veterinary Tech
Various trades

And so on.

Nursing program for example total estimated cost with all books and supplies is $3,500

In BC at Douglas College, the 1st semester of nursing is more then the entire cost in California.

Medical lab tech in BC is 13,000 vs 6,000 in California.

Compared to California community colleges, tuition in BC is high and unless you have a lot of money or parents to pay for it, if you can't get loans, education is not obtainable in BC.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Vancouver seems to have quite a few attractions (free) similar to what you say you enjoyed in San Diego. Read this article for suggestions Free Things to Do in Vancouver -- National Geographic

There is also a zoo, admission $25. San Diego Zoo admission $48.

I don't want you to think I am picking on you, but you do seem to be a glass half empty kind of a guy. I saw a quote the other day it was "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."
Vancouver has no zoo, closest is in Aldergrove and its a poor excuse for a zoo, and animals not well cared for, I wouldn't ever support that facility.

The San Diego Zoo may cost more (I always had a membership which was like 90 dollars for 1 year) is a modern, large zoo and the Zoo in Aldergrove is in no way comparable.

The attractions in Vancouver just are not comparable quality wise, and unlike San Diego where the museums, zoo and such as all in the same area and easy to access, a lot of the ones in Vancouver are spread out and difficult to get to.

I've done just about everything on that list in Vancouver, and most are not worth going back to once you have gone once.

I just dislike Vancouver, and BC and really have no happiness in Canada, no financial security here, lack of employment opportunities, no family, no friends, high cost of living, and so on.

But life is about compromises and at the moment the compromise is having to stay here until we get to a point moving is possible.

Lack of family is a big downer, I hardly see my family and I have never made friends here aside from my wife, so that plays a factor as well.

I suppose having had no interest in moving here at any point in my life, and had only done so as my first wife didn't want to relocate to San Diego, also play's a role, I never had a good job bringing me here where I'd be better off, and all that, overall quality of life is lower because while income is roughly the same here as it would be there, everything pretty much costs more here, so a dollar gets you a lot less which in turn makes life a lot harder.

Average rent for the San Diego region is also about 1,000 less per month when compared to the Vancouver region, and more rental housing options to choose from which makes finding and affording housing easier.

BC just lacks any affordable area's that are of reasonable size and still offer employment, where there are jobs the cost of living high, where the costs are lower there appears to be virtually no employment.

Moving within Canada just takes us further from both my family and her family, so makes more sense to move south of the border and stay within a 1.5 day drive of BC in the event of an emergency here.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 31st 2015 at 9:40 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 12:20 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Fwiw I loved autumn/fall last year laddo (it really sold me on the area I lived in) Such a beautiful time of year- maybe try and head for national parkland for hiking...
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Fwiw I loved autumn/fall last year laddo (it really sold me on the area I lived in) Such a beautiful time of year- maybe try and head for national parkland for hiking...
Cycling, take up cycling. Ottawa is brilliant for cycling.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
+1.

In other news, I hauled my lazy arse down to the lake today with kayak, & remembered why this little corner of Canada is really Not That Bad.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
+1.

In other news, I hauled my lazy arse down to the lake today with kayak, & remembered why this little corner of Canada is really Not That Bad.
One day I am going to try kayaking, lots of places to go with one around here, I'd probably like the area better....lol

Or a boat to explore some of the places on the other side of the sound that have hiking and not so many tourists.....lol

This side there are too many people on the trails and too touristy to enjoy, I want to get away from people...
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One day I am going to try kayaking, lots of places to go with one around here, I'd probably like the area better....lol

Or a boat to explore some of the places on the other side of the sound that have hiking and not so many tourists.....lol

This side there are too many people on the trails and too touristy to enjoy, I want to get away from people...
You should . I find it remarkably relaxing & it certainly helps empty my head.

It's not even my favourite activity; just easy to do solo.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 5:20 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by laddo73
Maybe BC is the outdoor place? I have always done a lot of sport (approx 15 hours per week). I lived on the edge of the peak district national park. When we bought the house in the UK we made the decision that we didn't need a garden because the peak district was our garden. Living around the Ottawa area I don't find that there is as much outdoor activities to offer as where I'm from. That said I did manage to ski around 75 days this winter. I can't argue that the summer weather is not a whole lot better here too. I started getting out on a kayak which I love. Not sure what I'll do when the weather turns? Wait for the winter to come again I suppose.
I find it hard to believe aren't a lot of outdoor activities. When I lived there (years ago) there were lots of outdoor activities. The Gatineau Park is nearby with lots of winter and summer activies available. There are three large rivers and the canal running through the National Captial Region as well as many smaller rivers. Lakes are everywhere and there are lots of bicycle paths. In the winters I was out down hill and x-country skiing, skating the canal and in the summers there was canoeing, fishing, biking etc.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Not at all in my case either. We got offered jobs here, completely out of the blue, the company were prepared to pay all of our expenses and significantly improve upon our UK salaries. The kids were young enough that we could try it for 3 years and if we wanted to go back their education wouldn't be too badly affected. So we came, because we could and we thought it would be a adventure if nothing else.

We had a good life in the UK and were happy, but on balance we prefer the life here, so we have stayed. I have found its best if you don't compare the two places, find what your area of Canada offers that you enjoy, throw yourself into the lifestyle with as open a mind as you possibly can, give it a couple of years then re-assess.
For you I can see it was completely a no brainer. I think the town we moved to is quite dead in comparison to the other towns around here but the location is ideal which is why we moved here. I'm finding it quite hard to let go of the things that I enjoyed doing back in England but I suppose there are other things on offer around here. So once the weather turns crap and the seadoo's get covered over what do people do before they go skiing or skidooing. I'm guessing that there are a few months when the weather is just not fit to do anything outside until the snow comes?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I used to enjoy getting out on the mountain bike. I'll google it
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:04 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I used to enjoy getting out on the mountain bike. I'll google it
Join a cycling club too.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

For you I can see it was completely a no brainer. I think the town we moved to is quite dead in comparison to the other towns around here but the location is ideal which is why we moved here. I'm finding it quite hard to let go of the things that I enjoyed doing back in England but I suppose there are other things on offer around here. So once the weather turns crap and the seadoo's get covered over what do people do before they go skiing or skidooing. I'm guessing that there are a few months when the weather is just not fit to do anything outside until the snow comes?
Yes, November & end of March/April are usually a bit dead on the outdoorsy front up here. In the past I've signed up for odd classes in the autumn (Latin dancing was particularly good for a massive gigglesfest; yoga is a perennial; quilting was a fail ...).

When time/budget permits, I've scheduled UK/France trips in March/April; November has seen me do some fairly mad road trips, again when time/budget allowed (going contra-dancing in Maine & helping transport sled dogs from further Oop North down to the more Southerly winter tourist-traps were "highlights", of a sort ...).
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Winter sports actually seem like fun, well not skiing or snow boarding, but those snow mobile things look fun....I looked into it last winter, but like most winter sports, cost too much. One day though, it's on my bucket list, just once so I can say I did it....

If anyone likes mountain climbing or mountain biking, come out this way, we have more places to do those 2 things then I can count, both have a very active community here as do the whatever its called on the water with a surf board like contraption and some sort of parachute/kite like thing that they skim across the water on, kite boarding I think they call it.

For outdoor sports people, this area is pretty sweet, really is no time of year where there isn't an outdoor sport to do.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Hiking, rollerblading, cycling, all can be done in chilly, not snowy weather. It was never an issue for us as our kids turned out to be quite good ice hockey players so our autumn was filled with practices and games at least 6 nights a week. Also gave us a social life as we met a lot of people. I accept that having kids just because you are bored between the summer and the snow may be a little drastic though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.