Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

West London to BC - and need of insider info

Wikiposts

West London to BC - and need of insider info

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West London to BC - and need of insider info

Originally Posted by THEBOLD
HI SORRY YOUR RETINAS HAVE EXPLODED PERHAPS YOU BETTER PUT YOUR ROSE TINTED SPECTACLES BACK ON.
And you better learn to type FFS!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

HI, SORRY TO UPSET YOU NANOOSE BAY.
I'm not upset at all. Just pointed out a few things you seemed to have missed.

WE WERE LOOKING AT THESE TWO PLACES WITH AN OPEN MIND
With due respect, your posts so far indicate that you have anything but an open mind. Indeed, just in this thread are multiple posts which suggest that you feel anyone with an opinion different to yours is wrong.

Welcome to the community though; I welcome all diverse opinions for what they are.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:44 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tripitaka

Welcome to the community though; I welcome all diverse opinions for what they are.
I was trying to think of a witty reply, but I got bored so am off to the mall apparently it's the only place here worth visiting!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:24 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

HI WE ARE IN OUR EARLY 50'S AND FROM LIVERPOOL AND LONDON BUT WE MOVED FROM TORQUAY. WE HAVE NO CHILDREN BUT WE CAME TO BC ARRIVING IN CALGARY. WE SOLD OUR HOUSE AND CAME JUST WITH A TENT. WE WERE PLANNING ON GETTING AN APARTMENT IN VANCOUVER AFTER A 6 WEEK ROAD TRIP THROUGH BC. WE WERE DOING THIS TO SEE WHERE WE WANTED TO LIVE. WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH MANY TOWNS FROM ALBERTA TO TORFINO ON VANCOUVER ISLAND. WE ENDED UP HOUSE SITTING AS ALOT OF PEOPLE GO AWAY FOR THE WINTER THEY CALL THEM SNOWBIRDS. WE HAVE HOUSE SAT IN CALGARY FOR 5 WEEKS (A SOULESS CITY) AND WAS COLD EVEN IN AUGUST. KELOWNA FOR 6 WEEKS IN LAKE COUNTRY. COLD IN THE WINTER THAN VANCOUVER ISLAND. PICTURESQUE BUT ONCE AGAIN AFTER THE TOURISTS LEAVE EMPTY IN THE CITY. VERNON (DEADVILLE) WE ARE TALKING SEPTEMBER NOT A SOUL AROUND ON A SUNDAY. THIS REGION IS LOVELY AS ITS WINE COUNTRY BUT NICE TO VISIT. VANCOUVER A GREAT CITY BUT WHERE DO YOU SETTLE. STAYED THERE FOR 2 WEEKS BUT EXPENSIVE TO LIVE. SOME AREAS ARE REALLY ROUGH WITH GANGS. NOW VANCOUVER ISLAND. FIRST STAYED IN NANAIMO 5 WEEKS. NICE LITTLE TOWN BUT DYING BECAUSE OF THE BIG MALL UP THE ROAD. LOTS OF SQUALID AREAS THERE NOTHING TO SEE REALLY EXCEPT A MALL AND SOME PARKS AND OCEAN. PARKSVILLE STAYED 4 WEEKS. (LOTS OF RETIRED PEOPLE BUT BETTER THAN NANAIMO. QUALICUM BEACH. LOTS OF RETIRED PEOPLE BUT A NICE TOWN NOT DEAD IN THE WINTER BECAUSE OF THE PENSIONERS. THE ONLY PLACE TO LIVE IN THE WHOLE OF CANADA FOR CLIMATE (ITS BEEN THE MILDEST WINTER WE HAVE KNOWN IN YEARS, MUCH WARMER THAN TORQUAY). ITS PICTURESQUE. HISTORICAL, HAS A NICE FEEL. GREAT PUBS (ENTERTAINMENT 7 NIGHTS A WEEK, OLD FASHIONED LIKE ENGLAND. AND THE PLACE THAT GETS OUR VOTE IS VICTORIA. HOUSING PRICES ARE HIGH HERE TOO BUT YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF A JOB HERE. CHECK OUT PRICES FOR SAANICH, AS THEY HAVE MAINTAINED THEIR PRICES AND ITS ONLY 11 MINUTES INTO THE CITY BY CAR AND ITS BY THE OCEAN. SIDNEY IS A REALLY NICE TOWN. QUITE AFFULENT AND NOT FAR TO VICTORIA TO DRIVE FOR WORK. DONT LIVE IN DUNCAN OR DRUNKIN DUNCAN AS THEY CALL IT. PRICES CHEAPER BUT HAS THE MOST TOTEM POLES BUT HAS TROUBLE TOO. ANYWAY HOPE THIS HELPS. IF WE WERE YOU JUST RENT DONT BUY AT FIRST. PRICES WERE INFLATED BECAUSE OF THE OLYMPICS AND PEOPLE ARE SELLING CHEAPER NOW. OUR NEXT HOUSE SITS ARE ON THE MAINLAND IN CHILLIWACK SO CAN LET YOU KNOW AFTER WE HAVE BEEN THERE AND IN BURNABY NR VANCOUVER IN AUGUST SO DONT KNOW YET. CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK. YOU WILL MISS THE UK THOUGH, YOU CANT BEAT THE UK AND WE DONT KNOW IF WE CAN STAY HERE LONG TERM AS THE CANADIANS CAN BE QUITE INSULAR AS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN PLACES IS GREAT. VICTORIA IS GREAT BUT LIKE ANY CITY YOU WILL SEE BEGGARS, THE CITY IGNORES IT.
EXCELLENTPOSTWELLSAID
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

THEBOLD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
MMC was just referring to the fact that your posts are all in caps, nothing to do with their content! In case you are not aware (and haven't seen my previous post to you), typing all in caps is considered 'shouting' on an internet forum and as well as making your posts unreadable, means that they are considered rude.

Please stop typing all in caps, thx.

already replied to other people, did not know this, so now typing in lowercase. i just typed in caps because i can read it easier meant no offence.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Forum etiquette!! It was a learning curve for me too. Took me a while to work out what alot of the abbreviations meant, I didnt know caps was offensive either. ah well - its all fun really!!!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have any BC advice, we live just outside of Calgary and absolutely love it!
But just wanted to wish you good luck with your emigration! It can seem like an uphill climb at times, but so so worth it!
I had two girls out here and we are all having a much better way of life than we would have had in the UK!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:07 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to mention that fernie bc is sort of nice.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Juliew
I would agree with the above comments. Rural Canada can be a very challenging place to live. From afar communities can appear appealing; however there can rampant drug and alcohol issues. Remote communities can be difficult places to live. Some of the people living in such communities can be downright scary. I am not convinced that they are the best places to raise children. Towns such as Kelowna, Kamloops and such are better bets as they will have a more diverse population living there. They also are home to some beautiful ski resorts.

I have been to West London on many occasions and would not want to live there!!! I would however consider one of Vancouver's suburds. Port Moody would be a lovely place to live. It is expensive; however nurses are paid quite well here!
Good luck
yes i forgot to mention the dope and drunk indians.....bloody firewater
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

THEBOLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: West London to BC - and need of insider info

Originally Posted by Flogger
EXCELLENTPOSTWELLSAID
hi thank you for looking at my remarks. I did not get many positive responses on this one. We tried to see every place with an open mind but I guess being from the UK we have been spoilt. Living in Devon we were surrounded by beauty so it takes alot to impress you when you have come from a 'chocolate box' location. The open spaces between towns here and the flat box places are depressive to say the least. As you drive through these mall strips its like las vegas (nanaimo/parksville/duncan). I could not live with a vista like that. One may have a bigger house living away from victoria but i would say it comes at a price. We personally need culture, life and picturesque surroundings and I didn't find it in these places we stayed. And the excessive charity shops seems to be the norm. Thank god the British virtually built and designed victoria otherwise it would be a bland, characterless place as we found these other places to be. I didn't mean to upset anyone who lives in these places, if you are happy there well fine. We just couldn't live there.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps
Forum etiquette!! It was a learning curve for me too. Took me a while to work out what alot of the abbreviations meant, I didnt know caps was offensive either. ah well - its all fun really!!!
Why does nobody ever read the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread, which among other things has a guide to forum netiquette and a list of abbreviations?! ARGGGHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, mod rant over. *tootles off to see if the thread title can be made flashing neon or similar so that people actually bother to read it*
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god the British virtually built and designed victoria otherwise it would be a bland, characterless place as we found these other places to be.
<chuckles>
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
I would agree with the above comments. Rural Canada can be a very challenging place to live. From afar communities can appear appealing; however there can rampant drug and alcohol issues. Remote communities can be difficult places to live. Some of the people living in such communities can be downright scary. I am not convinced that they are the best places to raise children. Towns such as Kelowna, Kamloops and such are better bets as they will have a more diverse population living there. They also are home to some beautiful ski resorts.

I have been to West London on many occasions and would not want to live there!!! I would however consider one of Vancouver's suburds. Port Moody would be a lovely place to live. It is expensive; however nurses are paid quite well here!
Good luck
I know, Chiswick and Kensington are dreadful places, classic examples of crime ridden urban decay. No place to bring up children these days.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:04 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I know, Chiswick and Kensington are dreadful places, classic examples of crime ridden urban decay. No place to bring up children these days.
You've obviously never played football against the West Ken estate then. Always looked forward to that fixture.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 2:40 am

hi thank you for looking at my remarks. I did not get many positive responses on this one. We tried to see every place with an open mind but I guess being from the UK we have been spoilt. Living in Devon we were surrounded by beauty so it takes alot to impress you when you have come from a 'chocolate box' location. The open spaces between towns here and the flat box places are depressive to say the least. As you drive through these mall strips its like las vegas (nanaimo/parksville/duncan). I could not live with a vista like that. One may have a bigger house living away from victoria but i would say it comes at a price. We personally need culture, life and picturesque surroundings and I didn't find it in these places we stayed. And the excessive charity shops seems to be the norm. Thank god the British virtually built and designed victoria otherwise it would be a bland, characterless place as we found these other places to be. I didn't mean to upset anyone who lives in these places, if you are happy there well fine. We just couldn't live there.
Yes you are right. I agree. The only other places that I have been to that have 'charm' are Fernie, Nelson (although still a mecca for pot heads and the counter culture crews) and Fort Langley.

The countryside is equally impressive though, I'd go as far as to say it's more dramatic. The drive from Vancouver to Whistler is remarkable to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.