Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

West London to BC - and need of insider info

West London to BC - and need of insider info

Old Feb 10th 2011, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

HalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really nice
Default West London to BC - and need of insider info

Am newly registered with the forum but have been visiting very regularly over the last year.

My husband and I made the decision to emigrate to Canada about a year ago now and since then we’ve been doing our homework, visiting a few shows, talking to friends in Canada and searching the internet. We have an idea of what we need to do and have started the ball rolling.

What made me finally take the plunge and join the forum? Well I really needed something concrete that would keep me focused and keep my spirits up because over the last few months it has felt as though our dream won’t come true. Hence the HalfFull userID – all psychological props for my pessimistic personality.

We’re a family of 4: 2 young boys, 5 & 2 years old, my husband and I are both nurses and we live in London. The reason we want to move is to give our boys a better life as well as the fact that both of us love the adventure of life so thought that living somewhere else in the world would be a BIG family adventure (if it doesn’t work out then at least we can say we tried and the kids will have experienced a different culture).

We’re thinking of BC or Saskatchewan, the final destination will be determined by where we can get jobs. But honestly speaking, we’ve been gravitating towards BC (we’ve done more research on that province). I’d like a rural or semi-rural setting, living in London has put me off inner city or suburbia living. I know that these are all pipe dreams and the ultimate decision will be determined by jobs and the reece trip (planned for 2011).

What I’d like to know are people’s experiences and views of living in the following towns:
Prince George
Terrace
Prince Rupert
Kamloops
Vernon
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West London to BC - and need of insider info

Kamloops:

Roughly the size of Cheltenham or Gloucester, with roughly the equivalent amenities. It's 4hrs drive from Vancouver, 1 hour north of Vernon, 2 hours north of Kelowna. There's an airport which has recently expanded and means travel to/from is pretty straightforward.

Housing is lower priced than the north Okanagan (Vernon), and the city is more blue than white collar. It's grown a great deal in the past 5 years or so, but remains one of the most affordable in BC's interior in terms of cost of living. If you want an overview of the city as a whole, take a look at this video: http://www.solutiongroup.ca/portfolio/CoKflash.html

The climate is great, having Canada's hottest summer, most days above 30°C, second driest climate after Whitehorse, the 2nd warmest spring (after Chilliwack), 2nd fewest fog days (to Penticton) 2nd most sunny days in warm months, 3rd most growing degree days and 3rd most days without precipitation. In a nutshell, it's dry, arid and predictable.

The Wikipedia pages offer more detail on the city's history and geography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamloops

Major employers here are Thompson Rivers University, BC Lotteries, and Domtar (paper mill).

It's a safe, relaxed and laid back place to live. Sporting and recreational activities/facilities are outstanding (http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_...on_ID_125.html), and we have the 2nd largest ski resort in BC on the doorstep (Sun Peaks)

It's easy to find rural/semi rural housing within an easy commute of the city. I own a small acreage 25kms from work, and commute in 20 minutes.

Drop me a line if you've got specific questions or concerns about the area.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We have posters who live in Kamloops and the Okanagan so they will be along to tell you about these places.

I don't think we have any active posters who live in that part of Northern BC. I haven't been to Prince George, Terrace, or Prince Rupert but, in true BE.com fashion, that is not going to stop me opining about them. So, given that this is merely (uninformed) opinion:

Prince George. A grim industrial blue-collar city. Certainly the largest place around. Its fortune depends largely on the lumber industry which is in the doldrums now and for the immediate future. 10 hours drive, or a flight, to Vancouver.

Terrace. A small town in the middle of nowhere.

Prince Rupert. This is a place with a future. Nearer to China than Vancouver it is being developed as a major port. Once again, it is very remote. Without flying it will take you close to 24 hours to get to Vancouver, either driving all the way or taking the ferry via Vancouver Island. Another thing, Vancouver has the reputation of being wet. Compared to Prince Rupert the rain in Vancouver is like a light shower on a summer's morning. Most places measure rainfall in inches. They measure it in yards in Prince Rupert. It gets fewer days of sunshine than any other municipality in Canada.

On the plus side, people still get sick and need nurses. In all three places you should be able to find somewhere really nice to live at a reasonable cost - at least compared to southern or southwest BC. Also, you don't need to travel far to be in some of the most beautiful pristine wilderness on the planet.

I am not trying to tell you that you shouldn't look at these places. Just be aware of their remoteness. For some people this makes them very attractive places to live.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from Kamloops I wouldn't call those places so much rural (actually, Prince George in particular...it's a reasonably big city) as remote. BC is a vast place. If you do some driving around those places you'll see what I mean. WE did a road trip up through the middle of BC to the Yukon in 09, and it can be hours and hours and hours of trees and highway before the next decent-sized town. As in, get gas where you can because if you run out it might be some time before BCAA can rescue you. YOu may see some 'villages' in between, but there'll be a few trailers and maybe a gas station, so notsomany amenities. Just something to bear in mind. Some people love that but I wonder if you should visit first before settling on a town?

Don't discount innercity/suburbia just yet because it's a different country here, so things that bug you in the UK may not be issues here. Just a thought.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 10th 2011 at 7:15 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:13 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We have posters who live in Kamloops and the Okanagan so they will be along to tell you about these places.

I don't think we have any active posters who live in that part of Northern BC. I haven't been to Prince George, Terrace, or Prince Rupert but, in true BE.com fashion, that is not going to stop me opining about them. So, given that this is merely (uninformed) opinion:

Prince George. A grim industrial blue-collar city. Certainly the largest place around. Its fortune depends largely on the lumber industry which is in the doldrums now and for the immediate future. 10 hours drive, or a flight, to Vancouver.

Terrace. A small town in the middle of nowhere.

Prince Rupert. This is a place with a future. Nearer to China than Vancouver it is being developed as a major port. Once again, it is very remote. Without flying it will take you close to 24 hours to get to Vancouver, either driving all the way or taking the ferry via Vancouver Island. Another thing, Vancouver has the reputation of being wet. Compared to Prince Rupert the rain in Vancouver is like a light shower on a summer's morning. Most places measure rainfall in inches. They measure it in yards in Prince Rupert. It gets fewer days of sunshine than any other municipality in Canada.

On the plus side, people still get sick and need nurses. In all three places you should be able to find somewhere really nice to live at a reasonable cost - at least compared to southern or southwest BC. Also, you don't need to travel far to be in some of the most beautiful pristine wilderness on the planet.

I am not trying to tell you that you shouldn't look at these places. Just be aware of their remoteness. For some people this makes them very attractive places to live.
Yeah, there is oil & gas up there too though. Esp. around Fort Nelson/Fort JOhn. It actually feels more like Alberta in terms of climate/culture up there (imo).

Personally I loved the atmosphere/people up there...much more of a frontier big truck feeling,very diff. to Van that's for sure.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 10th 2011 at 7:16 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with West London?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

Hi
Welcome to the forum/mad house

We moved to vernon 3 years ago - I will PM you.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

HalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really niceHalfFull23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
What's wrong with West London?
What I don’t like about inner city/West London, where to start:
1. pollution (we live right under the LHR flight path --- terrible terrible noise).
2. Too many people in close proximity, not enough green spaces to have the children run and burn all their energy.
3. Too many cars on the narrow roads = traffic jams, congestion, pollution (I know that this is the case in Canada but at least the roads are WIDE!)

These are my TOP 3 if I think of anymore will get back to you.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Apart from Kamloops I wouldn't call those places so much rural (actually, Prince George in particular...it's a reasonably big city) as remote. BC is a vast place. If you do some driving around those places you'll see what I mean. WE did a road trip up through the middle of BC to the Yukon in 09, and it can be hours and hours and hours of trees and highway before the next decent-sized town. As in, get gas where you can because if you run out it might be some time before BCAA can rescue you. YOu may see some 'villages' in between, but there'll be a few trailers and maybe a gas station, so notsomany amenities. Just something to bear in mind. Some people love that but I wonder if you should visit first before settling on a town?

Don't discount innercity/suburbia just yet because it's a different country here, so things that bug you in the UK may not be issues here. Just a thought.
It’s good advice to keep an open mind about city suburbia because UK city problems may not necessarily be Canadian city problems however we’re fairly certain that we want a good balance of amenities and open spaces/the rural atmosphere.

So why did you decide to settle for Vancouver? What threw the balance to Vancouver instead of Northern remoteness? Just interested.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone for the responses; it’s given me food for thought. BTW, my mistake our reece is planned for 2012, which gives us time to gather more info and plan a trip that will cover most parts of BC.

Kamloops looks more promising, weather-wise and otherwise. Prince Rupert - a no no weather-wise; I can’t say I am a fan of wet weather, UK’s wet enough as it is, can’t imagine x10 more rain.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I must say, having visited Prince Rupert very briefly, it was spectacular gorgeous - almost primal - but far away from anywhere else. However, it's affordable and spectacular, though somewhat isolating I'd imagine.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by HalfFull23
It’s good advice to keep an open mind about city suburbia because UK city problems may not necessarily be Canadian city problems however we’re fairly certain that we want a good balance of amenities and open spaces/the rural atmosphere.

So why did you decide to settle for Vancouver? What threw the balance to Vancouver instead of Northern remoteness? Just interested.
THe north was never on the cards because the OH's career is in Van, plus he's from Van. We spent a few months in the Yukon for work, it was fab, but I was glad to get back to the city. Personally if I was going to move to a small remote town Whitehorse would be top of my list = central/northern BC didn't really do it for me as a place to live. I"ve never been to the OKanagan though.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lychee
I must say, having visited Prince Rupert very briefly, it was spectacular gorgeous - almost primal - but far away from anywhere else. However, it's affordable and spectacular, though somewhat isolating I'd imagine.
I'd love to go there. It's on the list.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HalfFull23
What I don’t like about inner city/West London, where to start:
1. pollution (we live right under the LHR flight path --- terrible terrible noise).
2. Too many people in close proximity, not enough green spaces to have the children run and burn all their energy.
3. Too many cars on the narrow roads = traffic jams, congestion, pollution (I know that this is the case in Canada but at least the roads are WIDE!)

These are my TOP 3 if I think of anymore will get back to you.
Just a thought, but have you thought about moving to the countryside in the UK? It'd be a lot cheaper, you'll get decent schools, be close to a major city and Europe, close to family and friends, decent pubs and good take-aways.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:12 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Just a thought, but have you thought about moving to the countryside in the UK? It'd be a lot cheaper, you'll get decent schools, be close to a major city and Europe, close to family and friends, decent pubs and good take-aways.

I disagree. The UK doesn't have such a wide selection of wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.