Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Went to job fair today

Went to job fair today

Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went to job fair today

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Have to be honest, never really heard a lot about Squamish before so had to google it :S it looks a nice place to visit - slightly off topic do you recommend a day trip or is there more to see which means staying for a weekend etc?
Go hike the Chief! It's a real good workout but the view from the top is definitely worth it!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:07 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Go hike the Chief! It's a real good workout but the view from the top is definitely worth it!
Thanks - I love a challenge!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Have to be honest, never really heard a lot about Squamish before so had to google it :S it looks a nice place to visit - slightly off topic do you recommend a day trip or is there more to see which means staying for a weekend etc?
Don't need a weekend, which is the issue here, no need for people to stay and spend money, they just stop off for a few hours at the Cheif, Alice Lake, and such, and really don't provide any benefit to the town's businesses.

The guests we get at the hotel are mostly people who can't afford the hotel rates in Whistler, or don't want to pay the ridiculous rates up there, but they are so few and far that it doesn't create that much business.

The town had this stupid idea the Olympic's would bring all this tourism and allowed 2 more hotels to be built, and all it did was make it difficult for any of them to make money since there are not enough people generally to fill the rooms.

We get random events for a week like the Squamish Music Festival and for 2 days business is really good, but then everyone leaves again...lol

There are tourists, they just have no reason to stay locally and spend money for a few days.

We are the only town of any significant size between Whistler and Horse Shoe Bay/West Vancouver region. About an hour from downtown Vancouver, and about 45 minutes to Whistler.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting next month, you can get the view without the hike with the gondola opening next to the Chief.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Starting next month, you can get the view without the hike with the gondola opening next to the Chief.
Yeah.. but that takes away the achievement of doing the Chief! Although it may take some of the the traffic off the trail!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Yeah.. but that takes away the achievement of doing the Chief! Although it may take some of the the traffic off the trail!
True true. But does open it up to people who can't otherwise get to the top by hiking...

It will be interesting to see how popular the gondola is long term, especially in winter, I am surprised they plan to open year round (minus 2 weeks for annual maintenance.) as I can't see much demand in the winter...but only time will tell.

At-least it's something to get people to potentially stop and spend money locally, and they are a large employer locally as well now, so its already a benefit to town.

Squamish has way more potential, but seems to lack the leadership and guidance to get there. I don't think they got over the change from industrial to tourism based economy after the pulp mill and lumber mill closed down, and BC rail went away and such. By Wal-Mart you can see where at some point an industrial area was planned, but from what I can tell they have yet to attract any companies to actually build it.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

True true. But does open it up to people who can't otherwise get to the top by hiking...

It will be interesting to see how popular the gondola is long term, especially in winter, I am surprised they plan to open year round (minus 2 weeks for annual maintenance.) as I can't see much demand in the winter...but only time will tell.

At-least it's something to get people to potentially stop and spend money locally, and they are a large employer locally as well now, so its already a benefit to town.

Squamish has way more potential, but seems to lack the leadership and guidance to get there. I don't think they got over the change from industrial to tourism based economy after the pulp mill and lumber mill closed down, and BC rail went away and such. By Wal-Mart you can see where at some point an industrial area was planned, but from what I can tell they have yet to attract any companies to actually build it.
It's tough with Whistler just up the road. Squamish would to offer something pretty special to get people to stop for more than a couple hours!

Although that could be a reasoning to keeping the gondola open year round, get the ski/snowboard traffic stopping off for a ride. It does offer people who wouldn't normally be able to access the peaks a chance to see the top of the Chief, but it will be interesting to see if it damages the lure of hikers to the Chief.. what with anyone being able to reach the top now. I hope not!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

It's tough with Whistler just up the road. Squamish would to offer something pretty special to get people to stop for more than a couple hours!

Although that could be a reasoning to keeping the gondola open year round, get the ski/snowboard traffic stopping off for a ride. It does offer people who wouldn't normally be able to access the peaks a chance to see the top of the Chief, but it will be interesting to see if it damages the lure of hikers to the Chief.. what with anyone being able to reach the top now. I hope not!
Time will tell for the gondola.

Its Whistler to the north and Vancouver to the south that kills tourism here. I think the gondola will get people to stop here for it, but I am not sure it will lead to increased business for the majority of town, probably just the usual, gas stations and such.

To be honest, I am not sure how the hotels in town even keep their doors open.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Good news is my girlfriend was offered a job as a result of last weeks job fair.

I got more responsibilities at my job, I am doing all the cash count and balancing now as well as bank deposits 2 times a week.

Congrats, Jsmth321!