Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Went to job fair today

Went to job fair today

Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Went to job fair today

I went to a job fair today, a little odd compared to ones I have been too before as they were only allowing you to apply for 1 specific position and not letting you apply for all positions or just to the company in general, so odds of getting hired isn't as good.

Anyhow I applied for customer service since that is where all my experience is (don't like doing it though, its just a necessary evil) but turns out they are only hiring 4 people in that department, and it appears to be the department with the most competition based on the people there.

It was a very busy job fair, and from comments the screeners were making, they had way more people come for it then they had anticipated, in the 2 hours I was there waiting for the interview, 400 people probably came through.

My partner applied for food and beverage since she has experience there, and its the largest department hiring wise.

Never know though, the man who interviewed me said they will short list applicants and notify those who made the short list within 2 weeks when the hiring manager does her interviews.

I did notice one thing though, nobody seems to dress up for any sort of employment interviews these days, few people were wearing anything business looking, most in sneakers, and jeans, I was quite surprised how casual people dress.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went to job fair today

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I went to a job fair today, a little odd compared to ones I have been too before as they were only allowing you to apply for 1 specific position and not letting you apply for all positions or just to the company in general, so odds of getting hired isn't as good.

Anyhow I applied for customer service since that is where all my experience is (don't like doing it though, its just a necessary evil) but turns out they are only hiring 4 people in that department, and it appears to be the department with the most competition based on the people there.

It was a very busy job fair, and from comments the screeners were making, they had way more people come for it then they had anticipated, in the 2 hours I was there waiting for the interview, 400 people probably came through.

My partner applied for food and beverage since she has experience there, and its the largest department hiring wise.

Never know though, the man who interviewed me said they will short list applicants and notify those who made the short list within 2 weeks when the hiring manager does her interviews.

I did notice one thing though, nobody seems to dress up for any sort of employment interviews these days, few people were wearing anything business looking, most in sneakers, and jeans, I was quite surprised how casual people dress.
Where was the job fair?

I find Canadians (well.. BC folk) in general are much more casual with their dress sense in the work place. It was one of the first things I noticed.

It's funny what people wear when they walk into the hotel my gf works in to drop off CV's. They must think.. it's only house keeping, it won't matter if they see my arse crack as I walk out.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:57 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Well good luck jsmith, maybe something will come of it. They may have had applicants from Van checking it out on spec and bringing the numbers up. If you didn't come casual it might help; you may have wowed them with your sincerity.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:26 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you hear something soon

I always dress up for my interviews whatever it's for. I had an internal interview at my organisation in January for a senior position, usually for work I wear jeans and a jumper/top as it's that kind of place but for the interview I turned up in tailored trousers, shirt, waistcoat and smart flat shoes - my superiors were very surprised at my attire so that just goes to show you
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Where was the job fair?

I find Canadians (well.. BC folk) in general are much more casual with their dress sense in the work place. It was one of the first things I noticed.

It's funny what people wear when they walk into the hotel my gf works in to drop off CV's. They must think.. it's only house keeping, it won't matter if they see my arse crack as I walk out.
We get some interesting characters applying where I work. I've never had the pleasure of working anywhere that didn't require a uniform, so I have no idea what people who don't wear uniforms wear to work so maybe I am just out of the loop as to what is the norm these days. I am told what to wear so makes it easy for me...lol
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Well good luck jsmith, maybe something will come of it. They may have had applicants from Van checking it out on spec and bringing the numbers up. If you didn't come casual it might help; you may have wowed them with your sincerity.
Thanks, I have a job right now so its not crucial, but I would so so love to not work graveyards and earn a couple more bucks an hour. (job interviewed for pays 2.50/hr more then my current role.)

The job I have now would be good if I was in Chilliwack, but this little town has a crazy high cost of living especially for housing. Apartments that are not what you'd call pleasant places to live in run 850-900 a month, anything decent 1,000+.

We are okay right now, as we are in below market rent since that is where my GF was living when we met, but with our combined incomes, we are going to probably not qualify for it next year, so I am trying to be proactive and get another job, or one that pays a bit more.

We do okay Jan to May when she gets her disability income, but June to December we don't get that since my income will exceed the 12,000 a year they permit before they deduct dollar for dollar, so we are in a complicated situation a bit...Mostly as the province has unrealistic ideas as to what 2 adults can live on.

So thats the gist as to why I may seem to eager to earn more, plus I've had my hours cut a bit, one week I do 40 hours, next week I do 32, and then 40, then 32, so I am loosing 200 and some change from losing 2 shifts a month.

I am employed, so its not end of the world if I don't get this, just tends to bring me down, since I seem to be stuck at 12/hr and can't seem to get anything beyond that. In Feb I had interviewed to wash buses for transit, 19/hr but never heard back, and even sent out a thank you follow up email, but still nothing.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

We get some interesting characters applying where I work. I've never had the pleasure of working anywhere that didn't require a uniform, so I have no idea what people who don't wear uniforms wear to work so maybe I am just out of the loop as to what is the norm these days. I am told what to wear so makes it easy for me...lol
I think there is much more of an 'I'm only handing out resumes so I don't need to worry about what I'm wearing' type attitude here. Probably mainly from the people who don't really care where they are applying to they just hand resumes out like sweets.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:45 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is much more of an 'I'm only handing out resumes so I don't need to worry about what I'm wearing' type attitude here. Probably mainly from the people who don't really care where they are applying to they just hand resumes out like sweets.
I can't say for Canada yet but I believe it depends on the jobs you are going for. Personally I don't feel someone should have to be suited and booted when handing out resumes unless it is for an office/professional role.

It is different when it comes to the interview and I believe people should look smart whatever they are going for.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I can't say for Canada yet but I believe it depends on the jobs you are going for. Personally I don't feel someone should have to be suited and booted when handing out resumes unless it is for an office/professional role.

It is different when it comes to the interview and I believe people should look smart whatever they are going for.
Not suited and booted.. but sweatpants than barely fit, flip flops and a top that leaves nothing to the imagination isn't going to get you a job no matter what it is.

Those CV's literally go straight into the bin.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:18 pm
Bex in the city

Not suited and booted.. but sweatpants than barely fit, flip flops and a top that leaves nothing to the imagination isn't going to get you a job no matter what it is.

Oh well yeah...obviously there is a point where you have to draw the line. However if it's for a hooters job...
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:40 pm
Bex in the city

Oh well yeah...obviously there is a point where you have to draw the line. However if it's for a hooters job...
Well that was wasted...
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I did a Skype interview for my position in Vancouver, I was dressed what I thought was appropriately, in a suit, shirt and tie. On connecting with the Principal (owner) and the general manager, I was greeted with "oooh look at you all suited and booted", both of them were wearing "hoodies" and jeans
I explained that this was my normal attire for my position in N. I. (Project Manager) but that I would wear what ever was deemed appropriate if I got the job Must have worked, cos' I got the job!

Oh and LOL Beckiwoo
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you know someone that already works there and then it don't matter at all how you dress and who else applies regardless of who is best qualified for the job.
I don't go smart to interviews anymore, found it makes no difference what so ever. Networking is the way to get a job here
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Yep they do. Not being presentable when dropping off a resume, is a quick way to never get an interview.

People don't realize that the front line workers in places are directed to quickly screen those dropping of resumes, including what attire the person has chosen to worn and if your a slob, well chances are the resume is tossed out PDQ.

I know what my biggest issue is with getting a job, and its the interviewing and body language, I have a very hard time hiding my anxiety and I know it shows as in mock interviews this is the biggest issue that has been mentioned, but I am not sure if its something I can fully prevent since anxiety is not something that can just be easily hidden.

I am not talking usual interview anxiety, but full scale near panic attack anxiety. I have a nervous tick that shows up when I am under extreme anxiety inducing situations, and its not something I am consciously doing, but it turns people off.

I am also not good at marketing myself, I do well in behind the scenes admin stuff, but I plainly suck at customer service and dealing with people, and I find it hard to market myself in way where I can confidently sound that I can deal with people when in reality I really can't deal with people well.

The 1 job I excelled at, and had no issues with, and its also the only job I have kept long term (5 years) was loading airplanes and working in airline ops behind the scenes, I had 0 interactions with passengers and the job was 0 stress for me, despite being somewhat stressful job, but I could be myself and not pretend to be someone I am not, and I think that made a huge difference.

At work when dealing with customers, I am basically acting, and pretending to be someone I am not, and its exhausting doing it 40 hours a week.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 7th 2014 at 9:38 am.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:38 pm
Bex in the city

At work when dealing with customers, I am basically acting, and pretending to be someone I am not, and its exhausting doing it 40 hours a week.
I can sympathise with that having worked behind bars, coffee shops and waiting tables in the past.

I don't have issues with doing that but in the UK from my experience 50/50 if the customers are miserable so and so's or are p^ssed up - it becomes are lot harder and that when I put on the 'fakeness.' If they are in good moods and generally polite and friendly then it's feels more natural.

Some people prefer to work independently, which is fine where as some love this customer service side or it.

Telephone customer service is my shortfall - hate it, even now I hate being on the phone at work speaking to professionals and social workers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.