Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Went on a fact finding trip and came back with a unique souvenir

Went on a fact finding trip and came back with a unique souvenir

Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:09 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Went on a fact finding trip and came back with a unique souvenir

Originally Posted by dbd33
<giggles> locally Gerrard Square is known as the Welfare Mall.
Gerrard Square is awesome. The Zellers is great and the Winners isn't bad. I guess I'm just cheap.

I used to live a five minute walk from there and honestly really enjoyed the area. The area itself has a certain amount of character- not as much as Cabbagetown to the West mind, but enough. If you have a dog then Greenwood Park and The Beaches are walking distance.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:14 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
...If you have a dog then Greenwood Park and The Beaches are walking distance.
but only if you have a dog?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
...to pull you along on skates presumably?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Brill.. what a great post. I feel excited for you! Toasting your new life right now with a glass of NZ Sauvignon.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Gerrard Square is awesome. The Zellers is great and the Winners isn't bad. I guess I'm just cheap.

I used to live a five minute walk from there and honestly really enjoyed the area. The area itself has a certain amount of character- not as much as Cabbagetown to the West mind, but enough. If you have a dog then Greenwood Park and The Beaches are walking distance.
I have sat for many a happy hour outside the Matty Eckler and Greenwood pools waiting for that lifeguard person. Since the perogie place opposite the welfare mall went bust I'm at a loss to see how that area has any charm. I also fail to see how a Zeller's can be "great", does that make BiWay awesome and WalMart orgasmic?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it I know someone who lives two blocks south of the Welfare Mall. She's ninety odd and has been there forever "this area used to be really rough you know, before the Koreans came, their store has brought the place back to life". The Korean store has since gone bust and, like most of the block, is boarded up.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:31 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
The interesting difference which surprised us between house selling here in the UK and Canada (well Toronto, at least), is that what ever the property is on at (asking price) is normally a lot lower than the finishing price. Realtors, on the whole I think try to undervalue a property to generate multiply bids. These multiple bids are then presented by your realtor to the seller and his realtor on a set evening and the most attractive bid wins. This helps to stop gazumping, which has to be a good thing, but it does mean you can lose a bid on conditions or amount of dollars bid.

I'm not sure this is the norm, we negotiated our price down by several thousand from the asking price ?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:32 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
LMAO. Good one.

I actually work in the day so it's hard to proof read all of my posts. Eats, shoots and leaves indeed.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:34 am
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by dbd33
Thinking about it I know someone who lives two blocks south of the Welfare Mall. She's ninety odd and has been there forever "this area used to be really rough you know, before the Koreans came, their store has brought the place back to life". The Korean store has since gone bust and, like most of the block, is boarded up.
Yeah the Koreans are near me now. Thanks to them my 'hood has an amazing Karaoke Bar to resident ratio.

And I love that Soji.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:39 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'm not sure this is the norm, we negotiated our price down by several thousand from the asking price ?
Yeh, I thought that sounded odd. I'm not in Toronto but in my experience you negotiate the asking price down not up! No wonder the Realtor was helpful!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you to everyone for your great wishes and those who have posted slightly negative posts - Sod You !!!!

This is going to be great !!! Just wish the Canadian neighbour was not a gooner !!!

I am looking forward to an afternoon in Zellers !!!

Rob & Simon
Old Sep 17th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

well done lads! glad your trip went so well!

we're off on our recce in 3 weeks - have just told OH that we're NOT buying a house whilst we're out there!! but judging by the number of you that did just that........
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:40 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

To start of with OMG – how much did we love it!

Have to say that this fact finding trip was amazing, have such a better idea about the whole thing now and can’t wait to move over!

Firstly HSBC were so wonderful – we are premier customers anyway in the UK and if anyone is seriously thinking of moving over to Canada in the near future. I highly recommend them. Not only were our bank cards waiting and our banking history/ credit rating on their system, but we were already approved for a 60% mortgage (which could be upped to 80%, but also a substantial line of credit (overdraft) -which for us could be life-saving. Both of these were at a more reasonable interest than in the UK.

Secondly, Realtors …… well what can I say Jeff Vedan – your our man !!! I have to say I knew they worked harder than our estates agents in the UK, but how hard ! Jeff spent 7 days with us and took us not only all over Toronto looking at properties, but also showed us all the great nooks & crannies, great coffee shops and restaurants. I know this is his Job, but we did feel he went the extra mile for us.

The interesting difference which surprised us between house selling here in the UK and Canada (well Toronto, at least), is that what ever the property is on at (asking price) is normally a lot lower than the finishing price. Realtors, on the whole I think try to undervalue a property to generate multiply bids. These multiple bids are then presented by your realtor to the seller and his realtor on a set evening and the most attractive bid wins. This helps to stop gazumping, which has to be a good thing, but it does mean you can lose a bid on conditions or amount of dollars bid.

We looked at 3 main areas – The Beaches, Danforth and High Park. We went on a recci and ended up bringing home a unusal souvenir …….. A home – not a house, a home ….. as soon as we went in, it felt right.

It’s a few stops away from Greektown on the amazing subway system they have here, the neighbours are great (one of them is one of Jeff’s best friends). There is a granny flat which would be great if Simon’s Mum decides to come over, or will make a great media room, games room and Gym.

We have also been able to get a better notion of mobiles (Cells), job opportunities, taxes, driving in Canada and the cost of food which even with tax is not as bad as I had feared.

Should anyone need a great realtor in Toronto, I would recommend Jeff, even when it looked as if the home was going to fall through (Seller was being too greedy), 2 hours before we were about to get on the plane back to England he was so supportive, even though his hope of getting a sale through us was slipping away.

At the end of the day – things just slipped into place, as we were boarding the plane and we are now proud home owners of the following home !!!! It’s a blank canvas – but it has sooo much potential and I get my wood burning fireplace.

We will probably have to rent it out for the 1st year, but thats not a problem !

TBC
Many congrats, your home looks lovely, its so exciting to know that you'll be going back to your home when you go over
Best of luck
Terese
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:44 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking forward to an afternoon in Zellers !!!
Why?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:55 am
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Why?
Why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.