Reload this Page >

weird question

weird question

Old Mar 19th 2002, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

levu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default weird question

Hi there.

When my gran was a little girl (aged 4), her family immigrated to Canada (1934).

Unfortunately my great grandad was killed in a railway accident a few years later and so my great gran decided to return to Scotland where the rest of the family could help her raise the children.

Still, my gran was there as a Canadian for a couple of years.....my question is, is she still canadian? or does such citizenship just expire if you never use it (my gran never returned to Canada).

If she is still Canadian, is there anyway in which I as her grandson can use that fact to apply for immigration myself...or is all this just daydreaming?
Old Mar 19th 2002, 3:05 pm
Matt Shacklady

Default Re: weird question

> When my gran was a little girl (aged 4), her family immigrated to Canada (1934).

Immigrating to Canada and becoming a Canadian citizen are two different things. If
you immigrate to Canada, you are legally entitled to live and work indefinitely in
the country, provided you remain in the country for the majority of your time
(something like 180 days a year...although it's changing). After 3 years you can then
apply to become a Canadian citizen. You have to sit a test to prove that you know as
much about the country as a proper Canadian.

I suspect your gran only immgirated to Canada. In that case she cannot sponsor you as
she is still a Scottish citizen.

Only Canadian citizens can sponsor people to immigrate.

Old Mar 19th 2002, 10:05 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: weird question

> Only Canadian citizens can sponsor people to immigrate.

permanant residents of Canada can also sponsor family members.

however we are talking 1934 here, before there was a Canadian Constitution as such
before even there was the current Canadian Flag. so in that respect i doubt very much
wether she would have had to become a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. I would
presume in 1934 just being a British Citizen would have been enough to move to
Canada, so in that respect she probably never became a Canadian citizen and then when
she came home there would never have been any need.

i think it may be different had she beenborn there but i am not certain. Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG